U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2016, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,541 posts, read 24,849,427 times
Reputation: 20747

Advertisements

please use paragraphs, i couldnt even read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2016, 09:01 PM
 
11,799 posts, read 4,980,224 times
Reputation: 17962
At this point, I would forget about the trees and put up a big privacy fence. She can't stop you from doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,033 posts, read 3,911,909 times
Reputation: 13496
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Put a fence up in the area that you want privacy. You can't change your neighbor unless you move.




I second that! Get a 6ft fence if the town allows and be done with them! You can plant new trees but it won't change anything. I'm pretty sure you can't do anything legally about their down spouts, but you can call your town village department and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Living near our Nation's Capitol since 2010
2,169 posts, read 2,900,247 times
Reputation: 5765
I am in agreement with those who said put up a fence. You can always plant trees in front of the fence..on your side...to soften the look. You won't win with these neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 08:54 AM
 
625 posts, read 376,017 times
Reputation: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi17 View Post
We planted 15 arborvitae's several years ago to give us privacy because it felt like we were sitting in our back neighbor's front yard. They have over the years grown to 30 feet high.We had drainage from this neighbor's front downspout that felled one of these trees. I called our neighbor to let them be aware that we had someone coming to try to save the tree. The husband said to do whatever needed to be done. We called in a professional arborist who came out to stake the tree and recover the roots. Upon the arrival of the arborist, the wife came out and threw a fit because she didn't want the stake in her yard. Our arborist explained to her that was the only way to save the tree. She said she didn't care about our tree or being a good neighbor and fled back into her home. The arborist wound up putting the stake at the bottom of the tree(on our property), but said that it would not fix the problem. Right away the tree started leaning to one side and we thought, well we will just have to live with it. Fast forward to Hurricane Matthew. After 2 days of rain, the tree came down. Not only did that tree come down but 6 others as well. Our arborist said that either it was a result of the run off from her roof or the spike holding the tree had pulled out. He then stated that in 20 years as an arborist, he had NEVER had a spike come out of the ground. I called our neighbors on the phone and pleaded with them to allow our arborist to come out and try to save the tree. Her husband answered the phone and said to do whatever needed to be done. She then got on the phone and said NO! I tried to reason with her but to no avail. I told her at the end of our conversation that my heart was broken and that I was sorry to bother her. I went out in the middle of the storm and videoed her downspout gushing rainwater from her roof into our backyard! She even has the concrete diverter aimed at our house! Do we have any recourse to resolve this problem? She is impossible to deal with or be reasonable. The back porch used to be one of privacy that we enjoyed immensely. Now the back yard looks like H---. Image a line of 30 ft trees (16 as a matter of fact), with the most prominent ones missing. Looking like 00000 000 0000! Now I have to look into the front yard of this Person!
One issue is you built a "living fence". A lot of towns have fence height restrictions, for instance my town the largest fence allow on a front yard or side yard is four feet, and backyard is six feet.

Call the town and it could be you have to cut down the trees to a more appropriate height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 09:02 AM
 
625 posts, read 376,017 times
Reputation: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi17 View Post
We planted 15 arborvitae's several years ago to give us privacy because it felt like we were sitting in our back neighbor's front yard. They have over the years grown to 30 feet high.We had drainage from this neighbor's front downspout that felled one of these trees. I called our neighbor to let them be aware that we had someone coming to try to save the tree. The husband said to do whatever needed to be done. We called in a professional arborist who came out to stake the tree and recover the roots. Upon the arrival of the arborist, the wife came out and threw a fit because she didn't want the stake in her yard. Our arborist explained to her that was the only way to save the tree. She said she didn't care about our tree or being a good neighbor and fled back into her home. The arborist wound up putting the stake at the bottom of the tree(on our property), but said that it would not fix the problem. Right away the tree started leaning to one side and we thought, well we will just have to live with it. Fast forward to Hurricane Matthew. After 2 days of rain, the tree came down. Not only did that tree come down but 6 others as well. Our arborist said that either it was a result of the run off from her roof or the spike holding the tree had pulled out. He then stated that in 20 years as an arborist, he had NEVER had a spike come out of the ground. I called our neighbors on the phone and pleaded with them to allow our arborist to come out and try to save the tree. Her husband answered the phone and said to do whatever needed to be done. She then got on the phone and said NO! I tried to reason with her but to no avail. I told her at the end of our conversation that my heart was broken and that I was sorry to bother her. I went out in the middle of the storm and videoed her downspout gushing rainwater from her roof into our backyard! She even has the concrete diverter aimed at our house! Do we have any recourse to resolve this problem? She is impossible to deal with or be reasonable. The back porch used to be one of privacy that we enjoyed immensely. Now the back yard looks like H---. Image a line of 30 ft trees (16 as a matter of fact), with the most prominent ones missing. Looking like 00000 000 0000! Now I have to look into the front yard of this Person!
One issue is you built a "living fence". A lot of towns have fence height restrictions, for instance my town the largest fence allow on a front yard or side yard is four feet, and backyard is six feet.

Call the town and it could be you have to cut down the trees to a more appropriate height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 09:13 AM
 
Location: FLG/PHX/MKE
7,288 posts, read 13,419,766 times
Reputation: 11574
I hope they like staring at your new fence better than your old trees.

Edit: Then re-plant your trees inside the fence line if you have room. You get your trees, they get a fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 09:23 AM
 
16,026 posts, read 19,526,087 times
Reputation: 26175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
A few things came to mind...

Maybe the arborist never had a spike come out in the past, but this WAS a severe hurricane situation this time. Five other trees came down also.

Perhaps consider planting something with a greater root depth, and planting them so that if they DO need staked, everything is on YOUR property.
I think to try to blame your neighbor for your trees not being healthy is ludicrous. Being upset that she didn't want a stake for your tree in her front yard is unrealistic.

Also, most people use the gutters to direct the water away from their foundations....this is not unusual. The fact that your yards are adjoined is not unusual, except you say your back is adjoined to her front yard??

I am having trouble trying to visualize this. You say your backyard is adjacent to her front yard. Could you please post a pic, or go into more detail....this is not something that I have ever seen.

But, the fact remains, your trees obviously weren't good choices, ....They are basically shrubs, aren't they? My neighbors have these in large pots. This link says they can be considered either trees or shrubs. Good info, says they are easy to grow. The one that wasn't doing well should simply have been replaced imo.
http://www.gardenersnet.com/tree/arborvitae.htm
Are these trees threatening to fall on your neighbors house, or just her front yard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,899 posts, read 5,237,293 times
Reputation: 17781
I am not a fan of putting anything near a property line. It leads to problems yet that is the first place people usually plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 10:49 AM
 
3,758 posts, read 10,579,894 times
Reputation: 6684
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi17 View Post
We planted 15 arborvitae's several years ago to give us privacy because it felt like we were sitting in our back neighbor's front yard. They have over the years grown to 30 feet high.We had drainage from this neighbor's front downspout that felled one of these trees. I called our neighbor to let them be aware that we had someone coming to try to save the tree. The husband said to do whatever needed to be done. We called in a professional arborist who came out to stake the tree and recover the roots. Upon the arrival of the arborist, the wife came out and threw a fit because she didn't want the stake in her yard. Our arborist explained to her that was the only way to save the tree. She said she didn't care about our tree or being a good neighbor and fled back into her home. The arborist wound up putting the stake at the bottom of the tree(on our property), but said that it would not fix the problem. Right away the tree started leaning to one side and we thought, well we will just have to live with it. Fast forward to Hurricane Matthew. After 2 days of rain, the tree came down. Not only did that tree come down but 6 others as well. Our arborist said that either it was a result of the run off from her roof or the spike holding the tree had pulled out. He then stated that in 20 years as an arborist, he had NEVER had a spike come out of the ground. I called our neighbors on the phone and pleaded with them to allow our arborist to come out and try to save the tree. Her husband answered the phone and said to do whatever needed to be done. She then got on the phone and said NO! I tried to reason with her but to no avail. I told her at the end of our conversation that my heart was broken and that I was sorry to bother her. I went out in the middle of the storm and videoed her downspout gushing rainwater from her roof into our backyard! She even has the concrete diverter aimed at our house! Do we have any recourse to resolve this problem? She is impossible to deal with or be reasonable. The back porch used to be one of privacy that we enjoyed immensely. Now the back yard looks like H---. Image a line of 30 ft trees (16 as a matter of fact), with the most prominent ones missing. Looking like 00000 000 0000! Now I have to look into the front yard of this Person!
It's sad you've lost some of your trees.

However the neighbor (whether being unreasonable or reasonable) does not have to allow you, your workers, or any spikes/posts/wires, etc onto their property.


I would agree that if you want to plant additional trees, look for a species with deeper roots or place them in a location that is more stable and less subject to run off.

If her water is directed towards your property - is there any kind of swale between the two properties to channel the water to a less destructive path? I'm sure it depends on local zoning codes and which house was built first, but in my area at least the water would be directed to a swale that would then carry it safely away.

If there is no swale - you might want to install a french drain on your side of the property line to catch the water draining off your neighbor's property and move it safely away.

I agree with others that a fence isn't a bad idea, and then planting more trees in better locations.

best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top