Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 10:23 AM

153 posts, read 278,061 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about the history of these things. Our house was remodeled some decades ago and the recessed can lights that are in are for bulbs, which had 100 watt-ers in there.

Fast forward to when we bought the house, and we got the costco retrofitted led's (they look like pucks). The way they work is they have two spring like wires on each side that get inserted into the recessed can so they stay put. Very typical, google it if you don't know what I'm talking about. However, my problem is that the recessed cans seem to be a bit older, as the housing for the light bulb does not have any holes or cut outs for the retrofitted leds to mount their four wires into. These things have me at a lose of words.

Do I need to replace the entire recessed assembly, probably wouldn't be a bad idea as they get very cold in the winter (can feel a draft almost) and they are no way insulated to prevent attic air coming into the room? I've got exposed studs right now so now is the time to do so before the drywall comes. Six lights total, so not too much work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 10:33 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times
I'm not having a good day so pardon me if this sounds stupid but why don't you keep the existing can lights and replace the bulbs with LEDS? I just replaced all of our lighting at the house with LED bulbs. HUGE difference but be careful about what temperature the bulb is. A soft white temperature bulb was yellow, WAY too yellow. We went to natural light and the wife is in love with them. I also replaced the CFL bulbs on the front of the garage that were 150 watt rated with 100 watt LED natural light. The usable light from the LEDS is about 50% more light from 50 watts less bulb. Seems across the house we were able to use smaller rated wattage bulbs yet get more usable light with the natural light temperature. We bought Sylvania bulbs, FWIW.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:40 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,494,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I'm not having a good day so pardon me if this sounds stupid but why don't you keep the existing can lights and replace the bulbs with LEDS? I just replaced all of our lighting at the house with LED bulbs. HUGE difference but be careful about what temperature the bulb is. A soft white temperature bulb was yellow, WAY too yellow. We went to natural light and the wife is in love with them. I also replaced the CFL bulbs on the front of the garage that were 150 watt rated with 100 watt LED natural light. The usable light from the LEDS is about 50% more light from 50 watts less bulb. Seems across the house we were able to use smaller rated wattage bulbs yet get more usable light with the natural light temperature. We bought Sylvania bulbs, FWIW.
The way I see it is that the "retrofit" LED's that OP is talking about is more for looks. You basically get a sealed LED inside of a fixture with a shallower cone and "cleaner" look. As for me, I did install this type of lighting in my wine bar room but no lighting existed there prior. As for the kitchen and other pot lights in the house, I just use the drop in Sylvania bulbs which have been fantastic.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:57 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,926,019 times
You probably need to order some of these clips if you don't want to replace them.

https://www.build.com/sea-gull-light...g!150245119759!

Old 10-10-2016, 11:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default I have had to help a few relatives with this...

...the instructions that come with the retrofit kits do not make it clear that the existing can has to have the "trim kit" removed. That kit is not "universal" but each firm has it own little "grooves or slots". Once you see where the trim kit attached to the in-ceiling "can" the LED assembly is easy to attach.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:34 PM

Trapper; because that is what the wife wants in the room. There is no rhyme or reason to it, I hope you can relate to this. In the defense of my wife, we did install the LED bulbs but the light output is not as good since they are recessed so high in the fixture.

Chet; I hear what your saying. But the "trim kit" is part of the "can" and then the bulb socket clips on top of the trim kit. So if you remove the trim kit you have to get a new one. I just looked at the store and a universal trim kit is 10 bucks. Cheaper to just reinstall a new up to date can assembly...Like I said, these cans have me at a loss of words, never seen any like it.

Hope that made sense.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:38 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Yes, definitely replace the fixture.

By your description those are NOT IC fixtures. Anytime you can improve the thermal efficiency of a home it's "usually" money well spent.

As for the LED retro- you should have a clearer picture without the present trim in place. If you have removed the trim and you don't see clips then you'll need the "c-clips" sj linked to above.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Yes, definitely replace the fixture.

By your description those are NOT IC fixtures. Anytime you can improve the thermal efficiency of a home it's "usually" money well spent.

As for the LED retro- you should have a clearer picture without the present trim in place. If you have removed the trim and you don't see clips then you'll need the "c-clips" sj linked to above.
The fixtures do not have any insulation around them and they do get very hot, so probably not IC rated.

As for the trim. The trim is part of the assembly, you take the trim out and the whole "can" is gone. Some what hard to explain, I'll post a pic if I ever get around to it.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:08 PM

Just picked up new led fixtures/cans for about 8 bucks a pop. Not a bad price, the LED ones are even cheaper too.

Last edited by COD1628; 10-10-2016 at 03:04 PM..

Old 10-11-2016, 09:26 AM

I installed all the new cans in a couple hours. My next question is if I can stuff some of my extra fiberglass R-13 batting around it, and I mean completely encapsulate it like an igloo. It is rated IC, but after doing some research I am getting mixed reviews. Link is below for what was purchased.

Is it okay to completely cover these with r-13 or r-11 batting?

Halo 6 in. Aluminum Recessed Lighting LED T24 New Construction IC Air-Tite Housing (6-Pack)-H750ICAT-6PK - The Home Depot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House