U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 02:51 PM

26,426 posts, read 62,665,397 times

Advertisements

have exterior light locations at the peak of out carriage house (front and back) It is about 2.5 stories above the ground. I bought sodium vapor or mercury vapor fixtures to put up there but never got them up and they got broken. Now it seems to make more sense to put up some powerful LED fixtures. I found some that are 100 - 300 watts which is equal to very powerful sodium vapor or mercury vapor lights (equivalent to about 1500 watts incandescent). They are not terribly expensive, but none of them mount to a normal outside light box. Instead they have a flat bar mount and a cord sticking out of them. I would prefer to find a normal mounting light and one that is "normal" looking the ones I am finding are a big rectangle.

I have an older fixture with three heads and a motion sensor that I mounted above the basement stairs and it works great and is blindingly bright in that small space, not sure it is bright enough for a carriage house peak to light up the driveway. I want to find something like that (only much brighter). Does anyone know where they can be found? Basically I am looking for something at least comparable to the Mecury vapor (or sodium) that I was going to put up only more efficient and turns on and off instantly.

Struggling with the pictures. The first is what I am looking for, but cannot find in high powered LED. The most I am finding is about 20 watts (5000 lumens). The second is what I am finding. These come in 100 - 300 watts or higher (20,000 or more Lumens). I do not like the way these mount nor the look of them, but that is the kind of power I want (preferably 100 watts, more than that is probably too much). The third one is what wold be perfect, but they donto come in high powered LED that I can find at all. The best I can find takes a 16 watt (100 watt incandescent equivalent). The bottom one is what I was going to put in, but they broke, plus they take too long to come on, plus they make colors all funny.

Anyone know where to get high powered outdoor led lights that mount normally-what-i-want.jpg

Anyone know where to get high powered outdoor led lights that mount normally-what-i-fin-now.jpg

Anyone know where to get high powered outdoor led lights that mount normally-perfect.jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by Coldjensens; 10-10-2016 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 06:05 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,926,551 times
Maybe this one
Shop All-Pro Area and Wall Light 33-Watt Gray LED Dusk-to-Dawn Flood Light at Lowes.com

Old 10-10-2016, 09:02 PM

12,500 posts, read 48,537,614 times
By your wanted needs, I'd say you want "wall packs".

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/l...ck-400w-equal/

Old 10-11-2016, 07:13 AM

26,426 posts, read 62,665,397 times
Thanks Kledge. Those might work. I was hoping to find some that mount normally, so I would not have to find or make some sort of adapter. It looks like they just are not out there. At least not in high power. Maybe those come with an adapter.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:16 AM

70,858 posts, read 71,228,648 times
i was a rab distributor . they make a nice bunch of led outside lights

Old 10-11-2016, 09:45 AM

12,500 posts, read 48,537,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thanks Kledge. Those might work. I was hoping to find some that mount normally, so I would not have to find or make some sort of adapter. It looks like they just are not out there. At least not in high power. Maybe those come with an adapter.

What you see is what you get-

There are two approaches to mounting, since you have (by your description) j-boxes already in place you just need a j-box plate that has a center knockout (attached photo). Then a nipple and nut and your in business. Or, as I have done I the past, use the direct mount mounting holes and mount it directly over the j-box. And depending on the wall surface use either caulk or foam tape to seal the fixture/wall/j-box.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone know where to get high powered outdoor led lights that mount normally-image.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House