U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 05:59 PM

6,420 posts, read 3,596,921 times

Advertisements

Would the radiant heat from a sub-floor heat system damage or degrade the wax seal ring for a toilet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 06:37 PM

12,500 posts, read 48,537,614 times
If properly installed- no.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:57 AM

8,856 posts, read 7,648,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If properly installed- no.
What is you opinion of the newer non-wax type sealing rings?

As an example:

Shop Fluidmaster Better Than Wax Wax-Free Gasket Toilet Ring at Lowes.com

Old 10-11-2016, 06:34 PM

14,162 posts, read 44,724,307 times
I have a fluidmaster waxless seal, but a previous design that seals against the inside of the waste pipe and then against the bottom of the commode. Not sure why they quit making this, I don't see them anymore, but so far it has worked great. Has been in service at least 5 years.

The waxless, rubber seal you show here seems to me could only be better than a wax ring - costs more, but has some resilience so if the floor is a bit flexible, like most regular wood floors are, it should keep on sealing, but with wax you can compress it but it will not spring back...

That said K'ledgeBldr does a lot more construction/repair in a year than I have done in my lifetime, so I look forward to reading what he has to say.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:32 PM

12,500 posts, read 48,537,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
What is you opinion of the newer non-wax type sealing rings?

Other than they're a pain-in-the-ass to install? They also have a good point (especially for DIY work)- uneven floor tile, uneven flange, or even when people don't cut away the flange and install new tile, leaving the flange well BELOW the surface of the tile; it eliminates having to use multiple wax rings.

The only unknown is longevity- these are relatively new to the market. I don't know what type of "long-term" R&D was done. But I know a wax ring will definitely out last any type of foam, rubber, plastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or