U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:40 PM

11,383 posts, read 7,794,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
How do you think they get where they are to start with? Helicopters?

l.
If you would have read the post correctly I stated they are delivered to a lot and not meant to be moved afterwards.

they can be moved to a different location, but they are not meant to be hauled around like an RV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 02:53 PM

39,538 posts, read 2,987,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I can afford one of those things, but I much rather prefer the mobile home I live in (the McMansions I'm thinking of are the large newly built homes that don't have much land and normally have immature trees for it's landscape). We plan on this being a starter home for us and eventually moving to a larger home with more land or buying land and putting the home we have on it (and expanding it).

The park we live in is very nice, the people are mostly retirees or young professionals (like me) who are looking to save money on cost of living. The grounds are quiet and you don't see the stereotypical stuff that comes to mind when you think of a mobile home park like loud music, domestic fights, drug abuse (at least, that's what comes to my mind when I think of a mobile home park).

Our lot backs up to farmland with a strand of trees (separating the park from the farmer's field) and that gives us a little extra privacy. The lot rent is expensive, but my impression is that it keeps away the not so great clientele (and the application fee may do that as well seeing that it is $100). I'd personally rather pay high lot rent and not have to deal with annoying neighbors (which we thankfully don't have at the moment! The ones around us are very pleasant!)
We sold our house in San Francisco at a good profit, but decided to downsize to a mobile home, in a park for 55+ the neighbors are all quiet & very friendly. It is a good retirement option for us. 200 miles North of the Bay & happy.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:21 AM

21,320 posts, read 21,890,925 times
I certainly don't have any issues with a mobile home and would even consider living in one but I don't like it when the congregate together in groups...just hanging out together, no good ever comes from that

Old 01-22-2017, 10:27 AM

39,538 posts, read 2,987,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I certainly don't have any issues with a mobile home and would even consider living in one but I don't like it when the congregate together in groups...just hanging out together, no good ever comes from that
People have some very strange ideas about mobile home parks. Our park has no clubhouse, I only see the neighbors going in & out of their homes, one man volunteers at the hospital, so I see him come & go every day, another lady lets her small dog out, there is no congregation here, anymore than when I lived on a city block.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:42 PM

8,965 posts, read 7,741,639 times
There are trash mobile home parks and there are very upmarket ones. They cannot be lumped together no more than neighborhoods can be.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:39 AM

900 posts, read 794,969 times
There's a lot of variability when it comes to size and appearance. Our manufactured house has about 2200 s.f. of interior space along with an attached garage. Windows are double glazed, and huge throughout with the exception of the two smaller bedrooms, but even those are bigger than what you normally see on a single wide manufactured house.

I have a thing about adequate windows; nothing puts me off a house faster than small windows.

https://flic.kr/p/2g6QCUi

Last edited by Those Who Squirm; 06-01-2019 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-01-2019, 11:54 AM

19,838 posts, read 18,855,957 times
I would like to see more mobile home parks here in the northeast. They're good for retirees because they're more affordable, require less upkeep, are all on one level, and it still feels like you have your own private home. You have a washer and dryer so you are better off than people who live in apartments and have to share or go to a laundromat.

There are a few retiree mobile home parks, very few. They're nice and the people get little yards so they can have a garden or sit outside. I think instead of building cramped, horrible elderly housing, more should be put into building mobile home parks for the elderly. Keep some of them low priced (that does not necessarily mean run down and dumpy) so that retired people can afford them.

We don't have tornadoes, hurricanes are rare, so I don't see why mobile home parks barely exist here.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:59 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,902,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Have you or known anyone who lived in one? Windows are typically small so not much natural light shines in. It would be a major downside for me. Some do look nice from the outside. I noticed most people keep their windows covered with either curtains or blinds. A close friend of mine lives in one and that has been my observation. They don't seem too bad living in one if living simply, not accumulating many things since space is small.
They are homes for people. Othéwise I don't think about them. Just that they are not stormproof.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:38 PM

900 posts, read 794,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
To me, the problem is not the trailer or "mobile" as such, although they do tend to age poorly, but in renting a lot in a park.
I hear you on this aspect, though from what I've seen the rent you pay is far less than you would pay to rent an even remotely comparable apartment or house. In that regard you do have a little more wiggle room to handle repairs, particularly if you paid cash for the house. And there is an upside to paying for your own repairs and upgrades, which is that you get to make the decisions. For instance, after many years of muddling along with noisy window units, we put in central AC in the house we recently bought.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:49 PM

8,965 posts, read 7,741,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Do you mean trailer parks with dirt or narrow roads. or mobile home communities with lawns and private mail boxes in the front and pools and tennis courts and club houses?
I get what you are saying and I know the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House