U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 05:57 PM

24,725 posts, read 23,697,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Do you mean trailer parks with dirt or narrow roads. or mobile home communities with lawns and private mail boxes in the front and pools and tennis courts and club houses?
There's a middle ground. My sister lives in a mobile home park with paved roads, fenced yards, lawns and a private mailbox. There isn't a pool, tennis court or club house. It's a nice looking community. The property owner lives there, and he doesn't put up with a messy lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 08:35 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,096,322 times
There are "trailer parks" and there are mobile home parks. Usually very different things. The connotation is key here.

I have seen some very livable older "trailer parks" that have been there many, many years and were well kept up. Are they upper middle class abodes ? No. But not bad, at all. They are not "shacks".

I've seen some pretty bad ones, too. Depends on what you can afford. Might keep you from being without a roof over your head.

My MIL lived in a mobile home park, double wide, on a lake that was beautiful. 2 bedrooms, 2 full baths, large living area, dr, breakfast nook, with tall windows overlooking the lake. Much light comes in. CH/A, inside laundry, covered carport and enclosed room on concrete slab, about 12x20, with solid windows down 2 sides.
Really nice place. After she and her husband passed away, it didn't sell for a whole lot but it was adequate for as long as she lived there. The lot rent was frozen during her lifetime but it went way up when she passed on. A very nice development, gated and well kept up.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:48 PM

4,659 posts, read 2,512,058 times
Honestly, I have a poor opinion of permanent trailer parks that I have seen, and I haven't seen many, certainly none that are nice. My memory is of a trailer that smelled of garbage, cigarettes and dog fur. (30+ years ago, so I don't have a current picture.)

I am sure there are some people who defy the stereotype, but the ones I know who moved to these old-fashioned little trailer parks are frankly just as the offensive stereotype implies.

(I predict someone is not going to like my honest statement and I will be chastised for expressing it.)

Old 10-11-2016, 08:58 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,310,766 times
Many, many years ago I lived in a mobile home (trailer type) for a few months. It was really drab and small and like a train car. However, I know there are many much nicer ones these days. That said, I will never (I hope .. knock on wood) have to live in one again - and if I did by some chance, I would definitely never do it if the location was anywhere that a tornado was even possible (which limits a lot of potential parks it seems). They just don't seem to stand up to that kind of abuse.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:18 PM

15,690 posts, read 26,659,739 times
The only park I ever liked was one where the owners bought the land under the home. Most of the owners built 2 car garages and the homes all looked like they were built there.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:52 PM

5,703 posts, read 16,124,906 times
My husband's grandmother lived in a mobile home park that was dedicated to just retirees. You had to be over the age of 55 to live there. The homes were single wide, older and her home was dark inside. It had the 70's paneling and the kitchen sink was plastic along with the bathroom. I don't know the square footage but I would say it was comparable to a small apartment. She had two bedrooms but the one she used for storage, the second one she slept in. When the owner of the park sold it, the new owner changed the rules to any age. That is when things went down hill. She passed away before it got too bad.

I have a SIL that lives in a newer park. It is clean, well taken care of, paved streets and her lot backs up to the woods. She has a deck in the front and back. She has sent me pictures of deer and other wildlife that she can observe. The home is not brand new, maybe about 10 yrs old. It is a large home around 1800 sft. Very large kitchen with a center island, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. The master bedroom is a suite with a soaking tub and separate shower. There is a fireplace in the living room. Lots of windows and there are also skylights. She had to go through a lengthly approval process to buy it from the previous owner. The owner of the park is very particular on who can move in. She owns the trailer outright but pays lot rent.

Personally I dont find them to be a good investment as they dont hold any value. She now wants to sell and I think that is going to be difficult.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:52 AM

11,293 posts, read 7,655,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
She had to go through a lengthly approval process to buy it from the previous owner. The owner of the park is very particular on who can move in. She owns the trailer outright but pays lot rent.

Personally I dont find them to be a good investment as they dont hold any value. She now wants to sell and I think that is going to be difficult.
Oh they are not an investment at all, they are a place to live that depreciates.

Oh yeah selling will be hard. As it gets older it will be worth less, not worthless, but almost. If she thinks it's worth say $40K or more good luck finding a buyer because a bank might not give a loan for a mobile home. So she will have to find someone with $40K who will also pay lot rent.

She also has to find a buyer who is qualified with income, good credit, no background check, number of people who can live there, plus other rules. When you go thru a lengthy approval process that means that your buyer will have to go thru one too. Their income will have to qualify, they will have to earn about 3 times the lot rent. If it's a strict place and it sounds like it is they will have rules for who can visit and stay and for how many weeks, who needs a parking pass to park in front of the house. It's like having a bad HOA but only almost having your own home. You own the home, but if they tell you to leave, that's a world of trouble. Of and that property manager will enforce rules for you but not your neighbor, especially if they are a bully or on a power trip.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:59 AM

10,202 posts, read 4,779,668 times
Where I live they are some very nice mobile home parks with beautiful homes. The problem is they are all in a less desirable part of town. You won't find one in the middle of Fort Myers or Cape Coral because of their zoning laws. Another thing is the high lot rents. Some of them are over $750 a month!

Now if you had a lot of property you could put a nice "manufactured" home on it. When I lived in NC, if you put brick underpinning around the home it was then considered a single family home. That being said, I wouldn't live in one in areas that are prone to hurricanes or tornados.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Where I live they are some very nice mobile home parks with beautiful homes. The problem is they are all in a less desirable part of town. You won't find one in the middle of Fort Myers or Cape Coral because of their zoning laws. Another thing is the high lot rents. Some of them are over $750 a month!

Now if you had a lot of property you could put a nice "manufactured" home on it. When I lived in NC, if you put brick underpinning around the home it was then considered a single family home. That being said, I wouldn't live in one in areas that are prone to hurricanes or tornados.
I live in the same area as you do. The lot rents here are crazy. I could see living in Broward county and paying $750, but not in this area. You can buy an older cheap home that will pass FHA lender rules and your total mortgage including taxes and insurance will be less than $750 a month. You might even find a condo for less mortgage per month. My former roommate lived in a big 2/2 10 year old duplex on a canal with a 2 car garage in Cape Coral and his rent $850 a month.

I heard a lady at the dog park talking to someone about selling her mobile home and her lot rent was about $800 which is crazy, especially for this area which is 2 hours from Miami and Fort Lauderdale. I think lot rents in the Tampa area are cheaper than here.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:09 AM

Another concern with mobile homes is that we live in a hurricane prone area of the country. Even a category 1 might have mandatory evacuations at a MH park, where as you can easily ride it out in a stick built home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House