U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:30 AM

3,644 posts, read 1,838,466 times

Advertisements

My brother in law and his wife live in a "55" and over park in WA state. They seems to like it. They paid cash for the home, like 12k, and they pay "lot rent" of about $600 a month.

Not a good deal to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 09:45 AM

11,300 posts, read 7,662,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Hurricane? We can not even get it to rain around here.

Many of the parks in this area are slowly having the homes replaced with new homes as people move.
Earthquakes, I bet the older ones will crumble and fall apart. where a stick built home would survive better.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:47 AM

11,300 posts, read 7,662,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
My brother in law and his wife live in a "55" and over park in WA state. They seems to like it. They paid cash for the home, like 12k, and they pay "lot rent" of about $600 a month.

Not a good deal to me.
It depends how much the area rents are. If a one bedroom in the area costs $1200 then $600 is not bad. the problem is that they will probably raise it $25 a year and in 10 years you are paying $850 a month or more and won't be able to sell it because lot rents will be too high.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:56 AM

4,858 posts, read 6,296,455 times
Can't speak about the mobile homes per se, but what gets me laughing some times is that they will have all these old ratty mobile homes and the place is called XYZ Estates! Really???

Old 10-13-2016, 02:57 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,129,393 times
There are all different types of communities and units.

They are sometimes inexpensive to purchase used, but not cheap monthly for the lot. New ones can be expensive.

Other times, if it's an resident owned community you pay an entrance fee (equity) and low monthly rent for your lot. Sometimes these include RV owners who are part time residents like snowbirds in FL.

In my county Indian River, we have very nice ones from old ones that have been around since the 1970s to new and fancy. One location of ours has million dollar views, docks and manatees swimming up to greet you. It's called Fairlane Harbor on the Intracoastal.

The "problem" as I understand it (besides hurricanes and tornadoes) is, they may get musty/mildew and damp smelling from being so close to the humid & high water table ground we have here.

Perhaps there's a new high tech protection material they use now to prevent that or special construction on slabs or something.

Some people just like the life style - a single home but more affordable and manageable. Most have amenities, too even if they're modest. Also in FL they're not considered real estate they're considered a MOTOR vehicle type of thing. No re taxes.

Some communities you have to look twice to see it's a modular/mobile home especially if you're not familiar.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:59 PM

4,050 posts, read 9,066,740 times
Small windows is NOT one of the features of mobile homes (I've owned 3), in fact the windows in mine were HUGE - 7 alone in the living room/dining room that were 5' tall and very wide. They can be great places (the 55+ ones especially) depending on how they're kept up.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:59 PM

5,599 posts, read 4,905,054 times
Back in the 70s my #1 husband and I purchased a brand new mobile home that was set up in a trailer park in Broward County, FL.

I don't remember it being dark at all - the eat-in kitchen had a huge bay window and the L/R had windows that let in a lot (too much, actually) sunlight. I didn't care for the lack of privacy since the homes were very close to each other, but it was an affordable first home and for the few years we lived there, it was perfectly fine. None of the neighbors were trashy and the park was always clean and kept up.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:41 PM

9,374 posts, read 6,993,113 times
There's some confusion here.. "Mobile Home Park" can mean a number of different things.

Take this.. https://goo.gl/maps/QFVSQm3gzLG2

That's an "RV park", and actually.. Wow.. Is a whole lot nicer than the last time I drove by there many years ago.

Generally, that's pretty temporary that someone is there, though.. I knew a guy that had lived in that park for many years.

Then you have places like this.. https://goo.gl/maps/u2h9Sduerkm

Managed parks.. This particular one I know doesn't allow a home more than 3 years old (I think) to be moved in. They have standards that the homes must be kept to.. They don't tolerate shenanigans.

And then there's this. https://goo.gl/maps/LdSXf7bZxuT2

Old 10-14-2016, 05:02 AM

14,743 posts, read 31,175,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i always found it strange when you see a home that is mobile and two cars that aren't
The newer bigger ones aren't all that mobile, which is one reason why they depreciate so much. You can't just hook it to a pickup and tow it, it takes a semi truck. If you buy a used one you have to pay thousands out of pocket to have it moved, and even after that, you have to have it reskirted, plumbing reconnected, electricity reconnected, etc...

Poor people usually don't have that kind of money laying around, and the people that do have it usually use it for a down payment on a house. The only way to sell a used doublewide is to sell the land with it.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:44 AM

36,940 posts, read 45,385,657 times
My sis in law and husband wintered in a park in FL for several years. The park was beautifully landscaped and everyone kept up their place nicely. I think back then, they paid about $300 a month for the lot.
Their particular single wide trailer was old and not something I would find acceptable. I think they paid about $25k for it. It had an odd odor and had seen better days. I would have gotten new furniture etc.
For them, it was an affordable way to get out of the Ohio winter. The reason why they sold it is that they got very bored after the first few years, and failed to make any friends to do things with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House