U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 01:15 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,360,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34
Have you or known anyone who lived in one?
I have heard many ppl are not nice that live in them..... I guess they arent happy living there and take it out on others...

I used to have a friend who lived there and YES many ppl in them ARE NOT THE NICEST people!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 03:33 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,110,929 times
This is a nice one: https://www.mhvillage.com/Communitie...k.php?key=2165

Old 10-14-2016, 03:44 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,110,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I have heard many ppl are not nice that live in them..... I guess they arent happy living there and take it out on others...

I used to have a friend who lived there and YES many ppl in them ARE NOT THE NICEST people!!
This has NOT been my experience, most people want to live in them and enjoy the immenities and activities without having to maintain them.

Just like when RVing, the people on the whole have been nicer than in a normal subdivision.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:06 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,139,921 times
I don't see anything wrong with them, if one is not in an area subject to tornados or hurricanes. They can be very reasonably priced compared with the usual SFH's.

That said, I don't want to live in a mobile home park, myself. Often one is very close to neighbors, sometimes the mobile home itself is not too sturdy, and I live in an area subject to both hurricanes and tornados.

I have no problem affording a regular SFH made of sturdy materials on a nice foundation and in a nice neighborhood. If I was short on money, then sure, I'd consider it.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:48 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,989,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Have you or known anyone who lived in one? Windows are typically small so not much natural light shines in. It would be a major downside for me. Some do look nice from the outside. I noticed most people keep their windows covered with either curtains or blinds. A close friend of mine lives in one and that has been my observation. They don't seem too bad living in one if living simply, not accumulating many things since space is small.

There are nice communities and definitely not so nice! All depends on the neighborhood, the people within the community and how it's kept up. I myself have never been attracted to them, but I have seen some really nice one's. Mainly in retirement communities though.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:51 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,777,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
My husband's grandmother lived in a mobile home park that was dedicated to just retirees. You had to be over the age of 55 to live there. The homes were single wide, older and her home was dark inside. It had the 70's paneling and the kitchen sink was plastic along with the bathroom. I don't know the square footage but I would say it was comparable to a small apartment. She had two bedrooms but the one she used for storage, the second one she slept in. When the owner of the park sold it, the new owner changed the rules to any age. That is when things went down hill. She passed away before it got too .

This is similar to what my mother lived in, the exception being that the park remained 55+ & in good condition. It was a good choice because she was able to live near my sister in a fairly expensive, upscale Southern California town for less than the cost of renting a one-bedroom apartment. The amenities included a clubhouse with planned activities & a swimming pool that she never used. Residents were required to keep their homes in good repair & the small yard area tidy.

The mobile home itself had 2 bedrooms, stacked washer/dryer in bathroom & a screened porch. The downside was she had to pay to install central air as it was like being in an oven on warm days.

When she died, we thought we might have trouble selling, but it was only on the market for 3 months...lots of seniors in SoCal need affordable housing. YMMV regarding resale depending on location.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:53 PM

37,105 posts, read 45,622,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No. Something is wrong there. Is that common core math?

$425 a month cannot translate into $1250 a month. It is $425 a month.

If you prorate the $99 purchase price over ten years, then it would be another $10 per year, or an additional 83 cents per month.

That gets you to $425.83, not to $1250.

That trailer park was not bad. It was kind of out of the way, but it was nestled in a wooded area and back up to a metropark. It was older and the lot were small, but it was not a bad place and the people he met were very nice. He changed job locations and it became impractical for him so he let it got back to the trailer park. It would have been fine for him if his employment had not moved. Since he fixed it up, they re-sold it for $1000.

Older trailers are poorly insulated, but they are also quite small and it does not take much to heat them. They tend to be flimsy, but his had lasted for over 60 years. It did have a rotted window sill he had to replace.

The big risks are fire (they go up in a flash) and the odd tendency of trailer parks to attract tornado. My theory is large quantities of aluminum somehow attracts tornadoes, but that does not seem to hold with airplane storage centers, or recycling centers. Maybe it is something else.

Many trailer parks seem to also attract a lot of alcoholics and generally scummy people. But that may be a factor of them being inexpensive more than anything else. (Although there seem to be quite a few scummy billionaires around as well, but trailer parks seem to get more than their fair share (of scummy people, not of billionaires).
I thought he meant $99,000.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:15 AM

3,823 posts, read 1,976,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

Huh? Well geeze, if that's what you heard, it must be solid information on which to form your opinion about ALL MH communities.

The nicest neighbors we've ever had live in this mobile home community. None of us is poor, but none of us is super rich either. Everyone knows everyone else by name. We all recognize strangers who drive through the park. We all keep a watchful eye on the children while they play. During the summer we congregate on a neighbor's front lawn. We have community BBQs. We watch the homes of vacationing neighbors. We know who doesn't belong.

How many neighbors living in the fancy suburbs or the city know your name... or care?

Old 10-15-2016, 07:56 AM

11,383 posts, read 7,791,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
None of us is poor, but none of us is super rich either.
Nothing wrong with poor people. Many elderly people who live on Social Security alone are poor and are good people. A lot of rich people are worse than the poor, they don't care who they step on to get to the top, poor people are content to have enough to live.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:15 AM

11,264 posts, read 8,427,500 times
In this expensive state, CT, there are only a few parks left and most have been bought up by one company. We lived in one for a while. My guy purchased one for low teens, gradually restored it, paid $400/mo to live there while doing so, sold it for $30. It was a winning situation for him/us.

When you consider the "tiny house" crazy, even a single wide park model is VERY spacious. The rules of the park have a lot to do with the quality of living. Some allow anything, some are stricter.

You've heard the term "tornado magnet"? There's a reason for that. Be prepared to evacuate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House