Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 01:34 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,357,367 times

Advertisements

Have you or known anyone who lived in one? Windows are typically small so not much natural light shines in. It would be a major downside for me. Some do look nice from the outside. I noticed most people keep their windows covered with either curtains or blinds. A close friend of mine lives in one and that has been my observation. They don't seem too bad living in one if living simply, not accumulating many things since space is small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 02:05 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,146 times
Default I'm planning on buying a Paradise model by Palm Harbor Homes

Modern versions of manufacture homes can look a lot like a stick built home. They can also appreciate. They are highly customizable, so the window size and how many is really up to you. The same is true about finishes, both inside and out, how many doors you have, porches, tile work, etc. You can even specify how much pitch the roof has!

Space is not small, unless you are talking about "Park Models". These are by definition less that 400 sq ft, excluding any loft space or porches. These also do not conform to HUD building standards like larger manufactured homes do, but instead conform to RV standards and can not be lived in year round in many places.

Manufactured homes can be any size. I've seen models that were over 2,800 square feet.

As long as you put it on property you own, either on a lot approved for them, or in a co-op with a permanent foundation, they can be a good choice. I'm planning on buying mine as a retirement home.

A "mobile home park" could be a poor choice. Your home then is going to be looked at as risky because a mobile home park owner can raise rents anytime, or sell the whole park. Trying to find another park that will accept your used home would be difficult, especially if it is more than 5 years old. Your home is considered by banks as personal property, rather than real estate, and will depreciate just like a car. In many instances the park owners have to approve any buyer.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:12 PM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
I do believe you are not talking about the same sort of mobile home park that the OP is....

Old 10-11-2016, 03:03 PM

Beaconowner....

I was talking about those "mobile home parks" that are either single or double wide placed on tiny lots. Usually, there's 150-300+ homes placed closely together in a park.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:02 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Beaconowner....

I was talking about those "mobile home parks" that are either single or double wide placed on tiny lots. Usually, there's 150-300+ homes placed closely together in a park.
I lived in such, and while the park (sadly) went down hill and the house most definitely did *not* appreciate -- the house itself was quite nice.

1800 sf.
Doublewide
Built in '96.
3beds / 2 bath.
Split family/living room.
Huge Kitchen. (seriously - Huge!).

Also had a ton of Large windows. - I lauged at your "tiny" windows comment and not letting light in.

We were close to our neighbors (about 15' inbetween) - but we opened our drapes whenever we were home during the day (so - weekends).

Quite a nice home. If the neighbors had stopped going into foreclosure and abandoning their homes in the middle of the night (and then eventually the park would pull out the abandoned home) - lowering all our values, it would have been an okay place to stay long term.

As it was, I lived there for about 8 years.

So - it will totally depend on the park you pick, and the home (I'd get a more recent one, not one from the '60s or '70s) as to how comfortable/how many windows/how nice your experience is.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:10 PM

427 posts, read 440,225 times
Quite sure there are many nice mobile homes with similar amenities as a brick and mortar home. The issue is the 'mobile home park'. As with anything, location, land owners history and neighbors would be the first things I looked into.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:13 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,907,882 times
Many mobile home parks in Calif now sell the lots, so you own the home and the land it sits on.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:30 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
To me, the problem is not the trailer or "mobile" as such, although they do tend to age poorly, but in renting a lot in a park. Sort of the worst of both worlds, you own the shack and have to pay for or do the repairs, yet you rent the land it is on, and the land is the only part that might appreciate. There are exceptions, for example parks run as a co-op, owned by the residents. In general trailer parks don't include enough land to suit me, neighbors are too damn close.

In a mild climate, a mobile or trailer *can* provide a cost-effective shelter as an alternative to renting a house or apartment. The newer mobile homes can be very tight, very easy to heat/cool. But none of them have much for room.

As I have posted before, if you build an awning or roof over the trailer, sort of like a big carport, to keep the sun and rain off it, this can both prolong the life of the shack, and make it more comfortable, particularly in summer. If you expand the awning enough, it can also provide covered parking for a car or two.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:08 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Beaconowner....

Do you mean trailer parks with dirt or narrow roads. or mobile home communities with lawns and private mail boxes in the front and pools and tennis courts and club houses?

Old 10-11-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Do you mean trailer parks with dirt or narrow roads. or mobile home communities with lawns and private mail boxes in the front and pools and tennis courts and club houses?
narrow, paved roads with itty bitty yards surrounding the trailers. None of the trailer parks I've gone to were built on dirt roads. Some have pools but not all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House