U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 01:32 PM

26,581 posts, read 63,014,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Personally I love the light of an incandescent best. Nice and yellow white. The blue tone of many lights just makes me want to kill myself. Plus I don't believe that mercury in our environment is such a great thing.
I agree. CLF light is awful. LEDs were glaring at first. They create directional light. They have improved them a great deal through diffusers and prisms or something, but they still tend to be a bit glaring compared to incandescent. Never look at an LED when it is on. OUCH. Incandescents, not so bad.

Charts are nice, I prefer to figure out which type of light is better by putting in some lights and doing things under them and seeing which I like and which I hate. I think it is funny when scientists try to tell me something I hate I actually like better. Umm no, I don't. Or that there is no real difference - why yes there is. You cannot see the flickering of CFLs - yes I can. I did not even know they had flickering until I used some of them. And yes, even with the new better ones there is flickering. I can see it, and nothing you can rationalize can change that fact. They do that with water, "Tap water tastes just as good as Dasani - no it doesn't. You cannot taste or smell the small amounts of chlorine that are in your tap water - yes I can. Lighting is the same way. Sorry scientists, try again. Remember, you all once thought the world was flat. Even when people saw it to be round, scientists still argued it was flat.

CFLs are fine in places where the light is more decorative than anything else, like a porch light where you just need a few seconds of light to see the door, or a general light for guests to know where to go and intruders to know where not to go.

Come to think of it, awful CFL light should be better at keeping intruders away since it is so awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 01:38 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,283,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Just curious…..

I know prices of LED and other bulbs have come down. But I have a stash of incandescents I'm still using.
Switched most everything to LED both at my automotive shop and at home. No regrets at all. Not a single one has burnt out yet, light is clean, unlike fluorescent bulbs they come on instantly in a cold shop, I am saving a LOT of $$$ on electricity.

Don in Austin

Old 10-14-2016, 01:38 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,334,622 times
I still have a lot Compact Florescent fixtures with the plug in bulbs... really have no problems with them and maybe 300 fixtures... about 20 years old.

The Compact Florescent I hate are the curly ones hawked by everyone from the Dollar Store, Hardware and Grocery Stores... they are the ones the screw into in place of the old fashion Edison bulbs...

Old 10-14-2016, 01:39 PM

71,735 posts, read 71,829,507 times
we call them the spiral lamps .

Old 10-14-2016, 01:49 PM

I do think a blanket condemnation of florescent in not warranted... as there are so many variations out there...

Going forward I will eventually need to come up with a plan for the rentals... going in with all new LED has been a mistake as they were all gone when the tenant moved when I tried it.

So far I have cases of GE 60 and 75 that I picked up for less than 25 cents each when Grainger was clearing them out and with free freight... what is not to like?

I set up a National GE lighting account and sometimes joke it is less expensive for me to buy T8 bulbs than it is to dispose of them.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:54 PM
DKM

2,828 posts, read 1,013,065 times
I switch mine out seasonally. A lot of the difference in wattage comes from heat production. CFL's are taken out this week and the incandescents go in for the winter.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:06 PM

1,202 posts, read 831,760 times
problem with leds; their life is VERY over stated and CFL life is even worse.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:12 PM

I've had CFL go out in short order... most often the flicker and dim.

Granted these are cheap giveaway ones.

The expensive ones the cost $6 to $12 have served for many years and many are on 24/7 at the Hospital and Florescents like to be left on.

So far I have yet to have a single CREE of Phillips LED fail or the 48" replacement tubes Costco sells...

Time will tell.

I did notice that CREE changed the design from what I bought nearly 3 years ago... I hope it was not cost cutting effecting quality.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:40 PM

71,735 posts, read 71,829,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
problem with leds; their life is VERY over stated and CFL life is even worse.
Life is not overstated at all. You have to see how life is determined. The 50,000 hours is the 50% point were 1/2 the sample's tested died and 1/2 are still going.

All lamps are rated the same way , average hours

Old 10-14-2016, 05:09 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,562,583 times
I have two bathroom fixtures that compact fluorescents do not fit properly. They hang out of the bottom of the glass shades and look terrible. If I run out of bulbs that fit I'll have to change the entire fixture. And they are only about five years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House