U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 07:15 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,842,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Incandescents have a poor CRI as shown in this 2011 article.
Incandescents have a great CRI, 99+ for standard bulbs, as shown in your own article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 07:18 PM

673 posts, read 600,769 times
Default Old versus new, different colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
ABSOLUTELY!!!

Hurt my eyes and inflame my skin! GRRRRRR!!!
The old style yellow-toned fluorescents exhaust people. They strain the eyes too way much. Replacing them with the newer style pink-toned fluorescents helps with that a lot.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:03 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,323,935 times
I find that many will buy the cheapest available and then be disappointed... especially when I comes to lighting...

Proper lighting is a science once all factors are considered.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:51 PM

274 posts, read 173,574 times
I keep hearing incandescent bulbs are hard to find, but I blew a 60 watt bulb last week, walked to Kroger and picked up another pack of 2 60w bulbs.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:30 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,373,032 times
Thumbs down  

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars
Just curious…..

I know prices of LED and other bulbs have come down. But I have a stash of incandescents I'm still using.
LED/LCD bulbs are pieces of garbage..... I will use traditional bulbs as long as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo
Personally, I feel that fluorescents are harmful to one's health, they produce a hideous light unlike anything seen in nature, and I have to wonder what the benefit is when they contain mercury so that when they fail, they have to be specially taken to a hazardous waste facility.
Yes its like the difference between digital and analogue.... Analogue is real and beautiful,the other is flat and voidish!! (Offers nothing)

Old 10-15-2016, 03:29 AM

71,655 posts, read 71,801,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
Perhaps when it comes to absolute necessities for life, there is an argument to be made for removing the profit motive.
except unless the gov't does it no one is doing it for charity .power generation and distribution is a costly ,labor intensive business . in fact the distribution part is the biggest piece of your bill many times

Old 10-15-2016, 06:38 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,015,939 times
i've been to lots of neighbor homes where they still use incandescent lights. I'm exclusively using cfl and led and my electric bill is much lower than theirs to the point where they wonder how I can have such a low electric bill but then again, these are the same folks that keep their homes at 68 all day long even when the house is empty during the summer.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:41 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,439,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
LED/LCD bulbs are pieces of garbage..... I will use traditional bulbs as long as possible

(Offers nothing)
What is an LCD bulb?

Old 10-15-2016, 06:50 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,728,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
An incandescent filament glows because its resistance to electrical current heats it. There isn't much ebb in the light produced in a 1/60th-second interval. With a bulb made from clear glass, turn off the current and see how long the filament takes to lose its glow.

I've just learned something else about fluorescent and CFL lights. The older versions of them that had magnetic ballasts, produced a 120-Hz flicker that was known to cause difficulties for persons suffering from some types of disorders, such as autism and Lyme disease and others. Perhaps persons without any special problems might also have been affected. But fluorescent lights that used non-magnetic ballasts eliminated almost all the flutter. It's likely that the college lounge where I long ago made the observations I described earlier, was using the type which had magnetic ballasts.
It absolutely does flicker, you just can't see it because as you said it's fluctuating at 60hz a second. Even the CFL will continue to have a glow between sine waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43MaJWODBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUprJS9sXYU

Old 10-15-2016, 07:02 AM

11,383 posts, read 7,802,569 times
What is he name of the bulbs that came after the regular ones with the swirl bulb but were not LED?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House