U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2016, 09:48 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,448,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Do you also think the old rounded screen tube tvs are better than the flat screens?
He does. He's apparently obsessed to a curious degree with 30+ year old technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 12:00 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,392,336 times
I don't mind old technology... new isn't always better and sorting out the marketing hype can require more effort than many are willing... plus the environmental toll of disposing perfectly working items.

I'm as much a fan of old tech... well made American built as new... the classic definition of quality is fitness for intended use over many parameters...

Way off topic but my first car and one I bought with money earned is my 1929 Model A Ford... my next car is my 1905 Oldsmobile... and with the exception of one new car... all my cars are used.

I can appreciate things designed so they can be fixed/maintained opposed to the throwaway society we are moving towards...

I also have a collection of early 20th century tech which includes light bulbs from the turn of the century, radios and even a 1949 TV set...

That said... I couldn't be more pleased with my CREE LED lamps... I've motivated many to give LED a try... Christmas a couple of years back everyone on my Christmas list got LED bulbs! Some were unimpressed even negative... all have come back and said where can I get more... many are retired elderly and saying the LED will last for years and save money is what they want to hear.

I do like the notion of individual LED Bulbs instead of Fixtures... just helped a friend replace a household of fixtures with LED fixtures... they were not cheap and many came from a lighting catalog... my ONLY concern is if the fixture stops working... you basically toss it all as there is nothing to reuse and he lives in an area where lightning occurs so instead of replacing LED bulbs he may have to replace entire fixtures and some cost hundreds of dollars and are in the Mission Craftsman Style of the 1920-30's

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-16-2016 at 12:15 PM..

Old 10-16-2016, 12:07 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,396,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01
Do you also think the old rounded screen tube tvs are better than the flat screens?
Well not rounded but YES I love CRTs

Old 10-16-2016, 01:54 PM

15,102 posts, read 31,467,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I do like the notion of individual LED Bulbs instead of Fixtures... just helped a friend replace a household of fixtures with LED fixtures... they were not cheap and many came from a lighting catalog... my ONLY concern is if the fixture stops working... you basically toss it all as there is nothing to reuse and he lives in an area where lightning occurs so instead of replacing LED bulbs he may have to replace entire fixtures and some cost hundreds of dollars and are in the Mission Craftsman Style of the 1920-30's
I have already had to do that. I had a nice brushed nickel LED fixture over my kitchen sink, but when half of the LEDs in it stopped working I had to throw the whole thing away since it was sealed. I will never buy a fixture like that again, it felt so wasteful throwing that thing in the trash.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:21 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,383,223 times
I use incandescent 60W bulbs for the lights by the garage and 25W "stained glass" bulbs for the porch light and a couple of indoor lamps.

I have a CFL bulb on the patio and one in the house; they faded very fast but still provide low-level lighting. I'll try LED bulbs when the CFLs go completely.

I do have a bunch of 60W incandescent bulbs bought years ago and I will use them until they're gone. It will take a while.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:21 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,061,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Just curious…..

I know prices of LED and other bulbs have come down. But I have a stash of incandescents I'm still using.
I have one of these bulbs, and if I leave the light on too long (a few hours), then shut the light off, it won't turn on again for quite awhile, until it is cool.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:37 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,392,336 times
I've found this type of bulb most unsatisfactory...

For some reason my renters seem to love them.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:08 PM

3,703 posts, read 1,882,362 times
Default Bulbs

I just bought a box of LED 100w bulbs at Costco today. Very pleased with them - bright.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:46 PM

20,866 posts, read 36,011,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My only hope is they don't take a good product and cheapen it to the point the quality is compromised...
That is true. Utilitech brand that I picked up at Lowe's is only rated 7,000 hour bulb life. I will get a more well known brand next time. They kept the total bulb life fairly hidden on the package.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:48 PM

20,866 posts, read 36,011,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I don't think lights are a big portion of anyone's bills. Your fridge uses more electricity and well as a lot of other appliances.
AC is the biggest driver of utility bills for most people, but lighting is still around 20%. I don't spend much money to cool 900 sqft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House