U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2016, 10:56 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,648,370 times

Advertisements

Replaced all of my Halogen and Incandescents. I really don't understand, particularly with the advent of LEDs, why people cling to their incandescents. They give off an incredible amount of heat.

I am painting a closet now that is rarely used and there's an incandescent in there. I guess I'm not used to it anymore - I had to swap the bulb out because I was boiling. LEDs aren't the cheapest option, no, but they're miles better than traditional bulbs in every way.

CFLs are also terrible. Glad that LEDs come in tube size now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 01:23 AM

26,160 posts, read 15,247,198 times
Traditional lighting is AND ALWAYS WILL BE the best..

Old 10-17-2016, 01:58 AM

57 posts, read 43,957 times
I replaced every bulbs with LED and guess what, it actually saved us money in the long run. Like $16-20 difference a month.

I get my led bulbs from aliexpress

Old 10-17-2016, 02:30 AM

70,370 posts, read 70,950,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, I remember we had some Sylvania 60W 130V bulbs back in the 1980s that lasted a long time.
philips has an induction lamp which is very expensive . it has rated average hours of 100,000 .

i sold quite a few to hospitals where they put them in inaccessible areas .

each lamp sells for about 75 bucks each . it isn't the efficiency that sells these it is the 2x the life of an led that does . many area's in facility's require scaffolding to get to and so when the lamp goes it usually can't be replaced easily .

https://buy.wesco.com/static/catalog...GC00003_98.pdf

Old 10-17-2016, 06:54 AM

26,328 posts, read 62,487,377 times
One thing I have discovered, you cannot get them in really bright outdoor lighting. They make outdoor LEDs to mount on buildings, but they are 38 watts at the most, or about 5000 lumens. You can buy 100, 200 ,300, or even 500 watt LED fixtures (figure a ballpark of 5:1 for comparing wattage, but they are set up for mounting on parking lot ot stadium poles. If you want a very bright light to light up your driveway, you still have to go with halogen or mercury/sodium vapor. This is strange to me. They have powerful LED floodlights, why don't they make them for mounting on a house or garage? They make LED floodlights for mounting on a house or garage, but they are not powerful. Why do we ave to go to hot and pricey to operate halogen or lengthy start up times and distorted colors from vapor lights to light up our whole driveway?

Anyone know why?

Old 10-17-2016, 07:41 AM

7,946 posts, read 7,852,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
One thing I have discovered, you cannot get them in really bright outdoor lighting. They make outdoor LEDs to mount on buildings, but they are 38 watts at the most, or about 5000 lumens. You can buy 100, 200 ,300, or even 500 watt LED fixtures (figure a ballpark of 5:1 for comparing wattage, but they are set up for mounting on parking lot ot stadium poles. If you want a very bright light to light up your driveway, you still have to go with halogen or mercury/sodium vapor. This is strange to me. They have powerful LED floodlights, why don't they make them for mounting on a house or garage? They make LED floodlights for mounting on a house or garage, but they are not powerful. Why do we ave to go to hot and pricey to operate halogen or lengthy start up times and distorted colors from vapor lights to light up our whole driveway?

Anyone know why?

Not cost effective, at the higher wattages LED lamps require elaborate heat sinking. Contrary to popular opinion, LEDs generate plenty of heat, and self-destruct from their own heat without engineering to remove it. A decent 200 watt exterior LED luminaire will cost way more than what the typical homeowner shells out for a driveway light. Like hundreds of dollars. Look at the prices online that commercial interests pay for these fixtures. Homeowners won't pay that kind of freight. I have 2 240 watt LED stage lights. I paid $1,800 a pop. Each has heat sinking and 2 fans to keep them cool.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:37 AM

yep , the heat load grows by a lot as led wattage go up . being in the business i can tell you most driveway lighting is on the order of a 70 watt mercury or multivapor light at the max end .

Old 10-17-2016, 08:41 AM

26,577 posts, read 51,939,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Traditional lighting is AND ALWAYS WILL BE the best..
My eyes always have trouble with candles and oil lamps.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:45 AM

26,577 posts, read 51,939,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Replaced all of my Halogen and Incandescents. I really don't understand, particularly with the advent of LEDs, why people cling to their incandescents. They give off an incredible amount of heat.

I am painting a closet now that is rarely used and there's an incandescent in there. I guess I'm not used to it anymore - I had to swap the bulb out because I was boiling. LEDs aren't the cheapest option, no, but they're miles better than traditional bulbs in every way.

CFLs are also terrible. Glad that LEDs come in tube size now.
Some applications the heat is beneficial as incandescents are very efficient in generating heat.

Read a study from Scandinavia where a village replaced outdoor lighting had the new LED lights were so cool the snow, sleet and ice would encase the light fixtures to the point of obscuring just about 100% of the light... this was never a problem before LED...

Old 10-17-2016, 08:55 AM

the opposite is true too. lower led life is a by product from the heat in warm climates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House