U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 07:43 PM

11,278 posts, read 8,446,041 times

Advertisements

I absolutely HATE fluorescent light. So I kept using incandescent. LED is much better. I'm switching them out gradually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 08:23 PM

4,185 posts, read 4,873,795 times
i think we have a lot of these halogen bulbs around the house, along with CFLs and a couple of LEDs:

incandescent bulbs looked the best, but they used 3x the energy of halogens, 7x the energy of CFLs, and 10x the energy of LEDs. the difference in light quality is really not great enough to justify the cost.

i was really excited about the 'finally' light bulb a couple of years ago that runs on induction... has anyone here bought one of those?

Old 10-17-2016, 10:36 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,639,376 times
I don't mind the 'warm' CREE LED bulbs as those are fairly close to an incandescent.

I won't, however, use CFLs. Those are banned from my home. When I moved in to my current house a year ago, I removed and threw away all CFLs, even though they were working. I HATE THEM.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:45 AM

2,469 posts, read 2,983,684 times
I hate CFL, never used them and never will. My bil had them all over the family rental when we moved in and I promptly took them down and handed them over to him. I could not stand hitting a switch and waiting a minute for it to get "bright enough" in the bathroom at night or deal with the flourescent "glow". I know they have gotten better but no thanks.

LED's have basically crashed in price from $10 a bulb down to $2-4 depending on type. My electric company sends me a coupon to mail in and get 2-4 LED 60W replacements every couple of months. I've replaced all our interior lamps with LED's, working on exterior (sensor lights are LED and bright as heck). The pot lights around the house are being done in sets. The kitchen and bar room are all set as our the kids rooms (fans and all). One thing I will say is that the kitchen is the best and most used source, we have 6 pot lights so 60W each meant 360W when they were running. Now I am down to 60W (10W per LED). My electric bill has also reflected this change by dropping almost $20-30 a month.

I'm hoping to have the whole house LED by the end of next year and moving the holiday lighting in this direction to (tree, candles, etc). This requires the garage upgrade as well moving the three flourescent tubes that don't like cold weather to LED for a much brighter setup.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:02 AM

6,043 posts, read 11,221,916 times
I bought a bunch of incandescents on clearance for bulbs that couldn't be replaced by cfl's (my garage door opener & outdoor dusk-to-dawn sensor lights don't work with cfl's).. At the time, LEDs were too expensive & too poor in light output to match incandescent bulbs.. Now, I'm adding nearly all led bulbs/ fixtures to our new house - including led shop lights & outdoor bulbs.

I'm a little nervous that many of the LEDs out there are sourced from China & don't carry a "UL" label though (or that if they do, it might well be fake).

Old 10-18-2016, 07:43 AM

2,043 posts, read 1,951,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I'm not sure how but we apparently are headquarters for incandescent bulbs. Probably 100+ in boxes in the garage. I converted the most used lights to CFL years back to save a penny on electricity. The wife absolutely hated them. Most of them after a year would look like base ceramic had been in a fire. We now, as of last week, have converted everything to LED. The wife is happy camper. The usable light from the Sylvania LEDs is much better than either the CFL or incandescent bulbs. We did learn something in the transition though. Unless you just like yellow light, avoid the soft white LEDs- it's YELLOW! We ended up using natural light color LEDS. FWIW, we have 2 carriage style lamps on the front of the garage and we run them all night on a timer. I replaced the 150 watt output CFLs with 100 watt rated LEDS and the throw of the light is about 50% more with the LEDS. So expect better light from LEDS. And another FWIW, we had an 8ft fluorescent fixture for light in the garage. It's now a high output, 2 bulb, 4 ft LED and the light is actually better and brighter.
What degree Kelvin are the soft white LED compared to the natural light LED? I see 2700K and 3000K types of LEDs, I avoid the higher number LEDs like 5000K because the light is just too white and ghostly.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:44 AM

71,763 posts, read 71,853,273 times
most facility's i sold to only want 5k .

Old 10-18-2016, 08:49 AM

21,342 posts, read 21,917,974 times
LOL at people hoarding incandescent light bulbs

Old 10-18-2016, 11:04 AM

2,469 posts, read 2,983,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
What degree Kelvin are the soft white LED compared to the natural light LED? I see 2700K and 3000K types of LEDs, I avoid the higher number LEDs like 5000K because the light is just too white and ghostly.
I use 2700K in my house for LED, they are truly the same as incandescent light coloring. The 3500k and higher are the more "pure white" variety.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:08 AM

5,876 posts, read 8,856,052 times
I still have some for one room where the green paint looks scary with CFLs and still looked pretty garish with the LED I tried. I have to try more LEDs for that room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House