U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:24 AM

7,180 posts, read 11,196,367 times

Advertisements

I'm still using my reserve of normal bulbs. I don't like the new ones at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 10:34 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,628,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Just curious…..

I know prices of LED and other bulbs have come down. But I have a stash of incandescents I'm still using.
I never saw the point. I was never bothered by the color/light quality of good CFLs. When they fail, I'll switch to LEDs.

I do have some vintage style filament bulbs in fixtures where the bulb is exposed, though. I will continue to buy specialty bulbs for those fixtures, as the exposed filament is part of the "look" of the fixture, and an LED bulb wouldn't look right. (I guess they make LED Edison bulbs, so I might try one of those, too)

Old 10-12-2016, 10:37 AM

70,836 posts, read 71,210,489 times
compacts sucked and I sold them .they rarely coupled themselves to the room well . unlike a regular bulb which is a point source of light , a compact is a linear source of light .

most light fixtures are designed around a point source and are very poor at reflecting linear light in to a room . the coloring was awful too.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:58 AM

8,774 posts, read 5,608,950 times
I have replaced almost all my lights. This, along with some other conservation measures have allowed me to drop me electric bills by more than half (more like 2/3). I am not saying this is all due to bulb selection, but it is a contributing factor.

The bulbs come on a wide variety of color and heat ranges now and so, there is little excuse beyond price for not buying them - and the price is falling. I only buy replacements when they are on sale and the leds/cfls do last longer.
  • In my office, I have replaced a couple 60 watts with one 25 watt cfl, the lighting is not the same temperature as the incandescent, but it is close, the brightness seems about the same, and with the globe in place, it is hard to notice any difference.
  • In my garage, I have cfls that are controlled by sensor/timers. They only come on when they sense movement and only stay on for about a minute if there is no movement.
  • In my laundry/wood shop, I have 40" fluorescents. They are also on a sensor/timer and have been in place for 22 years with no bulb replacement.
  • My guest bath is on a sensor/timer. But I am still using incandescents there and in the master bath because I have not found a globe bulb that looks good to me.
  • In my great room, I am using a mix of cfls. Two with a sunrise feature - they come on very dim (so as not to shock the eyes) and get brighter the longer they stay on - until they are at full illumination. The other two are normal cfls. What I need to do is figure out how to get the two on separate circuits so I can chose to bypass the sunrise feature if I want.
  • My kitchen has a mix of lighting. There are halogens in the cathedral ceiling, I turn them on only when I want maximum lighting. In the breakfast nook is a chandelier with incandescent globes. I keep them because they are on a dimmer circuit and can be on at the minimum brightness when watching the tv in the adjacent great room; or I can fully power them when I am having guests over. Over the stove is a 10 watt led. I keep it on almost all the time; during the day to aid in cooking and at night as a night light. The main lighting used in the kitchen is an 18" fluorescent tube. Like the laundry, it has been in place for 22 years. It occasionally does not want to start - either the bulb is bad ot the ballast needs replacing; either way, I just flick the switch once or twice and it is back on. My stairwells use sensors/timers and I think they may be incandescents - it will be time to replace them with cfls as soon as they burn out.
  • My dining room uses small dim-able candle leds.
At the start of President Obama's first term, he wanted to stop production of incandescents, but I am glad he did not follow through because it would have cost a fortune to change out all the bulbs at once; but in the long run, I think we might have saved a lot of energy as a nation.

For those of you who refuse to go to other bulb technologies out of recalcitrance, or because you do not like the idea of CFLs and LEDs, I think you are missing out on a lot of opportunities to both save energy, and to make the lighting in your house work better for you.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:59 AM

4,706 posts, read 3,154,723 times
We were switching all of our incandescent bulbs with CFLs. However, my issue with CFLs is that they contain mercury. I also know LEDs also have nasty stuff in them, too. At this point, I really don't know which way to go.

Cat

Old 10-12-2016, 11:29 AM

26,579 posts, read 52,055,370 times
The best way to facilitate change is by offering a superior product... all things considered.

That said light bulbs and tenants use to be a no-brainer... 8 bulbs for $2 and done.

Tenants will not spend to buy LED and I have done tests where I installed LED bulbs only to find most or nearly all missing at turnover.

The last time this happened was with a 3 bedroom home with all new LED...

When the tenant moved it was all curly compact florescent... we spoke and she said she received a box of them free through a low income energy program and the energy coordinator took all the CREE LED bulbs with him.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:26 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,628,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
We were switching all of our incandescent bulbs with CFLs. However, my issue with CFLs is that they contain mercury. I also know LEDs also have nasty stuff in them, too. At this point, I really don't know which way to go.

Cat
I think the dangers of using CFLs are overblown. I'm not suggesting that people don't use the proper precautions when using/disposing of CFL or LED bulbs. But, we've been using fluorescent bulbs (just not compact ones) for 50-60 years in our hospitals, schools, offices, stores, and other work places. I work in an open-office environment, and from where I'm sitting, I can see at least 30 light fixtures, each with at least 2 fluorescent bulbs.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:32 PM

910 posts, read 400,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post
I wish I had stocked up. I stuck my head in the sand and refused to believe they would actually stop producing them. This past week I put my last incandescent bulb into a fixture, and went off to buy more, only to find my local stores do not carry them. At all. Grrrr....
You can still buy them as "rough use" bulbs and "appliance" bulbs. You can also get halogen which has a slightly cooler color temperature

Old 10-12-2016, 12:57 PM

7,950 posts, read 3,109,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Neither am I. I would rather continue to use incandescent lights ONLY when needed than get lazy about leaving LEDs on all or much of the time. It is GOOD to have some dark time. Outdoor security lights (halogen) are on motion-detector mode.

I also prefer to drive fewer miles rather than be forced to buy and drive something that doesn't do what I need it for, in the name of appearing to be "green." We know someone who bought a Prius for the high mpg...and then she promptly drove all the way to work instead of just to the public transit station. Gas savings...huh? But it LOOKS so much more ecoconscious!

How much time did she save on her commute?

Old 10-12-2016, 01:25 PM

241 posts, read 217,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I hate compact fluorescents with a passion and I will surrender my incandescent bulbs when they pry them out of my cold, dead fingers.

Personally, I feel that fluorescents are harmful to one's health, they produce a hideous light unlike anything seen in nature, and I have to wonder what the benefit is when they contain mercury so that when they fail, they have to be specially taken to a hazardous waste facility.
Well, don't buy CFLs then. Buy LEDs instead which are even more energy efficient and don't have any nasty chemicals in them. LEDs are also better than incandescent bulbs in just about every aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House