Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:53 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times

Advertisements

Go to Lowes or Home Depot. There is usually a long rack right beside the entrance which has DIY type books. Check out the many 'Home Plan' books (which I bet few order plans from or actually build from, but, we do 'dream' from them or use them as 'idea generators', etc.) but you will see that there are indeed still MANY traditional home styles shown there. If people didn't still love those, the plan books would most likely contain many more 'contemporary' plans than they do.

Look at resale houses outside of a built up downtown core (though there still are many brownstones and the like there too in many cities) and see what is selling/what sold recently.

Yes, many like more traditional home styles (inside and out - décor and design-wise) still. Recently I even read that the trend of opening up all rooms to each other is going away too. Millennials are often influenced first by having to settle in or near major cities for work, not having kids yet, and hectic lifestyles outside of work hours (they have the energy for it still and they are still in many cases seeking partners which seems to mean they want to be 'in the thick of things') - and finally by the 'Joneses' of their generation. I think many don't yet even have a 'personal design' sense or know what they want - they 'dress' to impress mostly. Some millennials however still want the comforts of a home that reminds them of their childhoods - and I think that will be even more prevalent as they age into their 30s and have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 02:01 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I'd hate to live in a boxy, modern house! Clean lines make me vomit.
Love, love, LOVE my traditional home with pocket doors, defined rooms, and details.
My design style is contemporary but as far as architectural style, traditional all the way.
Gen X (I'm 41, so I guess that's what I am) here.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:59 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Quick background
  • I am a millennial. This post is directed more towards millennial
  • I dabble in real estate - developer/investor, so have a large sample
  • I know traditional can mean a lot of different, so my definition of traditional = not contemporary modern.
To me, it seems like young adults these days when they buy their first house, everyone wants a new contemporary modern home. They want sleek/boxy designs. Everyone wants their color scheme to be grey/white. The days of brown are gone. In my sample, I don't know a single person aged 25-35 who has purchased/renovated a brand new home in 2016 that has chosen a brown finish with classical designs. Everything is light and shades of white. Does anyone see traditional making a comeback?
Recently bought a home with gray/white color scheme. Repainted entire interior of house with tan/brown earth tones and some light green in bedrooms and yellow bathroom. I prefer classic colors and avoid trendy.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:15 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
News to me that white and gray are trendy. White?

I'd save that description for stuff like the 'cinnamon accent wall' or the hunter green border...

Old 10-12-2016, 05:45 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Quick background
  • I am a millennial. This post is directed more towards millennial
  • I dabble in real estate - developer/investor, so have a large sample
  • I know traditional can mean a lot of different, so my definition of traditional = not contemporary modern.
To me, it seems like young adults these days when they buy their first house, everyone wants a new contemporary modern home. They want sleek/boxy designs. Everyone wants their color scheme to be grey/white. The days of brown are gone. In my sample, I don't know a single person aged 25-35 who has purchased/renovated a brand new home in 2016 that has chosen a brown finish with classical designs. Everything is light and shades of white. Does anyone see traditional making a comeback?
Everyone watches HGTV. HGTV is setting the standard for everything. People in the 25-35 don't have much of a clue how to renovate a home, and they believe HGTV. They fail to understand that gray and white is what you have to have to sell the house not to live in it.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:21 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
What is it with peoples' obsessions on hating HGTV?

Color popularity ebbs and flows all the time, long before HGTV existed.

HGTV didn't create the ubiquitous avocado or harvest gold colors for appliances decades ago.

Or the well-known trends of hunter green...mauve...you name it.

Navajo White anyone?

(OK, maybe I'll blame HGTV for the over-use of glass mosaic tile for backsplashes, LOL)

Old 10-12-2016, 06:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
It REALLY depends on what part of the country you are in as to what is traditional.

Mid Century Modern is traditional in Palm Springs.

Spanish is traditional in South Florida.

A Single House is traditional in Charleston.

Adobe is traditional in the Southwest.

Shotgun is traditional in New Orleans.

See where I'm going with this?

Old 10-12-2016, 09:47 PM

993 posts, read 766,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It REALLY depends on what part of the country you are in as to what is traditional.

Mid Century Modern is traditional in Palm Springs.

Spanish is traditional in South Florida.

A Single House is traditional in Charleston.

Adobe is traditional in the Southwest.

Shotgun is traditional in New Orleans.

See where I'm going with this?
Yep. You're absolutely on target.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:52 PM

993 posts, read 766,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
News to me that white and gray are trendy. White?

I'd save that description for stuff like the 'cinnamon accent wall' or the hunter green border...
When it's overdone.....when all your rooms are painted gray....it will get old. In 10/15 years, gray walls will look like hunter green does today. But who cares if you love it?

Old 10-12-2016, 09:58 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Like I said..... all these neutral everything is what you do to sell your house. Vibrant colors turn many people off because they either can't imagine it with a different color or they simply don't want to change it.

When we renovated our house to sell, everything went to white and very very light pastels, and then we removed 80% of the furniture.

People don't paint gray to live in, they paint it to sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House