Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 03:53 PM

82 posts, read 118,821 times

Advertisements

WOW, what a confusing subject/question! Based on what I can ascertain from I-search, it seems like there is a split decision on whether or not to have a vapor barrier on a bare dirt floor crawl space.

Our modular home (built in 2000) is on a permanent concrete foundation that has about 4-1/2 ft. high crawl space. There are two sets of screened air vents on each wall and they have the flapper doors to close off air flow for winter. During the summer since we've been here, we leave them open. The floor is dirt and has no plastic vapor barrier. The soil is dry/slightly moist and no standing water. The home inspector made no mention of a vapor barrier not being there and there were no observed issues with moisture, mildew, mold, etc.

The Stratford home construction uses fiberglass insulation between the floor joists and a fairly thick plastic vapor barrier across the bottom. I'm not sure whether the on-site builders for this area (southwest Montana) normally install vapor barriers on the dirt floors or not. I plan on calling Stratford to see what they say.

Leaving the vents open in winter is not an option as the ice cold air blows in like a freezer. With them closed, I'm a bit more concerned about not having a vapor barrier on the floor. Anyone have a similar set-up in this region and how is your house set-up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 09:19 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
I can not think of a single reason why you would not want a plastic vapor barrier on the earth under a house.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:34 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestoneangler View Post
WOW, what a confusing subject/question! Based on what I can ascertain from I-search, it seems like there is a split decision on whether or not to have a vapor barrier on a bare dirt floor crawl space.

Our modular home (built in 2000) is on a permanent concrete foundation that has about 4-1/2 ft. high crawl space. There are two sets of screened air vents on each wall and they have the flapper doors to close off air flow for winter. During the summer since we've been here, we leave them open. The floor is dirt and has no plastic vapor barrier. The soil is dry/slightly moist and no standing water. The home inspector made no mention of a vapor barrier not being there and there were no observed issues with moisture, mildew, mold, etc.

The Stratford home construction uses fiberglass insulation between the floor joists and a fairly thick plastic vapor barrier across the bottom. I'm not sure whether the on-site builders for this area (southwest Montana) normally install vapor barriers on the dirt floors or not. I plan on calling Stratford to see what they say.

Leaving the vents open in winter is not an option as the ice cold air blows in like a freezer. With them closed, I'm a bit more concerned about not having a vapor barrier on the floor. Anyone have a similar set-up in this region and how is your house set-up?

Do you have a picture of that? It doesn't look like it's the way it is done here in the North East. I have insulation between the joist of the crawlspace but definitely not covered with plastic. That would be a bad idea. Keeping free flowing air down there is important. Don't close out those vents. It is cold but no different than your attic space.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:48 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I can not think of a single reason why you would not want a plastic vapor barrier on the earth under a house.
Plastic sheeting and/or faced insulation under there. Done this twice myself and makes a noticeable difference.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:32 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Read this-

http://agr.georgia.gov/Data/Sites/1/...entilation.pdf

Even though this is a GA gov site, the relevant information is the same for any state that follows the IRC codes.

After you fully understand these sections, tell us if you think your builder built your home correctly. From there we can join the arguement of what's better- vented or non-vented.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:22 AM

346 posts, read 358,564 times
Building Science website or Green Building Advisor, both say a vapor barrier is needed in crawlspaces. Most say to turn it into conditioned space, meaning heated. There are lots of options, all based on budget really. Good Luck.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:09 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
If there is a concrete foundation would you need it?

Old 12-04-2016, 08:17 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
If there is bare earth in a crawlspace, it should have a vapor barrier.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:08 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
There are lots of options, all based on budget really.

Not based on "budget" at all! They are based on environmental conditions.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:51 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
There is no debate at all about whether you should have a vapor barrier. In fact, you need 10 times more ventilation for foundations without a barrier than with one.

There is some debate about whether to have your vents open or shut and when and that will depend on your climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House