U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 11:24 AM

153 posts, read 163,152 times

Advertisements

My house has a simple genset hookup for when the power goes out. It feeds the entire breaker with a safety switch that requires the main breaker to be off before you can feed the house with the generator which is a 240 double 30 amp breaker. This was all set up by a professional electrician, basically what I am getting at is that it is not a secondary breaker, its all tied into the main breaker.

My question comes to the generator. The gene has a 120/240V 20amp outlet plug (nema L14-20) which I would connect to the house with my adapter & cord rated for the 30amp plug on the house that feeds the breaker.

I know the generator is not much amperage to run the entire house, we would turn all the breakers off and only use what is necessary at the time. However, this would include need to run a 240V circuit as well as 120V circuits at the same time.

Does the generator need to feed an isolated 240v or can the 120/240v as stated above be acceptable to feed the house?

Having a hard time wrapping my mind around this and haven't found much in research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 11:34 AM

12,530 posts, read 48,635,718 times
If I'm following your train of thought-

Most gen's are setup to feed the breaker panel- that would be every circuit in the house. You would need to decide which circuits would require power, which don't.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If I'm following your train of thought-

Most gen's are setup to feed the breaker panel- that would be every circuit in the house. You would need to decide which circuits would require power, which don't.
Not sure what your getting at. My question comes with the generator power supply. It is a 120/240v supply, is that okay?

Or, does it need to be a pure 240v supply?

I'd be using both 240 and 120 breakers/circuits in the house.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:51 PM

12,530 posts, read 48,635,718 times
You say your generator has both 120 AND 240v supplies(?)

If you feed your breaker panel (as I previously stated) with 240v and the junction box/transfer box is correctly wired you will have power to all circuits. The amount of amperage will be your ultimate deciding factor as to which circuits you actually need; and those you can turn off (@ breaker).

I think you maybe confusing voltage at each circuit- It's just like your power from the power company- it comes in at 240, is split in the panel. One leg energizes the left side of the panel, the other leg energizes the right.

So, disregard the 120.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You say your generator has both 120 AND 240v supplies(?)

If you feed your breaker panel (as I previously stated) with 240v and the junction box/transfer box is correctly wired you will have power to all circuits. The amount of amperage will be your ultimate deciding factor as to which circuits you actually need; and those you can turn off (@ breaker).

I think you maybe confusing voltage at each circuit- It's just like your power from the power company- it comes in at 240, is split in the panel. One leg energizes the left side of the panel, the other leg energizes the right.

So, disregard the 120.
I understand that. But what I am saying is the bigger outlet on the generator reads "120/240". Is that okay to plug into the breaker or does it need to be a "240" outlet.

The way I understand it is that a 120/240 has two hots a neutral and ground, 4 wires total.
A 240 outlet is two hots and ground, no neutral, three wires total.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:48 PM

28,440 posts, read 70,873,992 times
Exclamation Whoa cowboy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COD1628 View Post
I understand that. But what I am saying is the bigger outlet on the generator reads "120/240". Is that okay to plug into the breaker or does it need to be a "240" outlet.

The way I understand it is that a 120/240 has two hots a neutral and ground, 4 wires total.
A 240 outlet is two hots and ground, no neutral, three wires total
...consult with a qualified electrician...

Heck, just open your eyes when in the electrical aisle of the big box store ...
Shop Utilitech 6-ft 50-Amp 6-Gauge Black Indoor Extension Cord at Lowes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House