U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 09:28 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,705,858 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if a newer dryer would really have a noticeable impact on my gas bill.

Are they significantly more efficient than models from 20 years ago? I've owned a newer dryer but not at a place where I could compare old vrs new efficiency wise. I only do a couple loads a week so I'm not sure it would even be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 11:22 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,926,551 times
We recently replaced our gas dryer. It uses far less gas than the old Kenmore unit that was over 20 years old. But it also doesn't get as hot either. If you turned up the old Kenmore to max heat, it got HOT. This new one is just very warm. But it seems like it moves more air so I'm assuming the drying is in more warm air rather than less air but hotter. Another thing I noticed is that there doesn't seem to be near as much lint on the screen filter and the clothes feel softer. We're glad we got a new one and it's far more quiet than the old one. You can't hardly hear it run. We bought GE brand and got a super deal at Lowes- $250.00 off of their asking price due to a mistake on their website. They honored the website incorrect price. And then they delivered it and set it up too. The only thing I've done different with it is I built a table for it to set on out of 2x 6 with 3/4" plywood as the top. At 6' 4" it's a reach for me to get as low as the door is and get clothes out of the back. The 6" rise has helped a lot. The wife at 5'4" loves it up higher as well. Something to consider if you are tall or just don't like having to bend over to get the clothes out.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:11 AM

114,159 posts, read 54,004,420 times
Gas dryers are normally more economical to operate. Natural gas has been pretty low cost across the country. LP if used is a different story. Gas isn't as easy on your clothes as it tends to yellow clothes somewhat. Unless you have a really old gas dryer with a gas pilot replacing it with a newer model shouldn't make a big difference on your bill. Electronic igniters and ignition has been around many years. You can adjust the heat on most models. Electric resistance heating is what it is. The only way to save money is reducing the heat or running time of course. The efficiency of the motor which turns the drum probably hasn't improved much. Drying on lower temps for longer times is probably more economical and easier on the fabrics being dried. Whenever they reduce the power of the motors they generally wind up being recalled or fail early.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:28 PM

7,233 posts, read 6,424,901 times
I doubt you'll get your money back from any savings any time soon going from one gas drier to another. If you need a new washer drier buying the gas over the electric will pay for itself in maybe 2 years tops though.. but if I was you I'd keep using what you have if it works.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:33 AM

15,567 posts, read 24,899,254 times
your profile say syou live in vegas????

isnt vegas dry and hot, only one word come to my mind

clothesline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or