U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:42 AM

26,579 posts, read 52,128,356 times

Advertisements

I buy distressed property and some have been beyond description...

One had a basement room so full you were crawling at waist height to get from one end to the other.

In the back of the garage was a chest freezer loaded with meat... the family had forgot it existed... when Grandpa died about 10 years back his wayward daughter, her boyfriend and kids moved in... they supported themselves dumpster diving...

Eleven 30 yard dumpsters to clear everything out... it wasn't that everything was junk but it sure appeared so...

Imagine... not knowing where your next meal is coming from and having an entire freezer of frozen meat... Grandpa would buy a 1/2 or full side of beef to fill the freezer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 12:25 PM

20,070 posts, read 14,394,007 times
Well, we are clean freaks, so rarely is there any type of accumulation or mess. I would say most mess comes when moving or remodeling.

Whenever we throw a dinner party or have a gathering of any kind , people stay and stay. Apparently there's something about a super clean house, gourmet food, and interesting people (all around) that makes them never want to leave.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:18 PM

3,659 posts, read 1,847,382 times
When we first start our renovation. Removing poorly laid ceramic tile from 1500 square feet. Pulled up as much of the tile as we could then rented a grinder. DUST EVERYWHERE for weeks.

Or when we moved 1800 sq feet of popcorn ceiling. Like sloshing around in a crappy baby diaper.

Renovation is not like on tv, believe me.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:23 PM

6,247 posts, read 3,538,468 times
Besides the aforementioned moving and remodeling it was probably when we had teenagers. We did manage to keep it confined to a couple of rooms but it used to bother me and once a week we did a good cleaning.

As I think about it, maybe our house is more messy all over now that we are retired than then. We're more apt to leave things we use frequently out rather than have to run for them. And as a memory aid I have a tendency to put things down in the same place every time I use it so I can find it again. Also I leave out, for example, the window cleaner and a clean rag as a reminder that I plan to clean some windows. This method is working better for me than a note does nowadays.

And it doesn't bother me as much as it did when I was younger. I no longer have any guests who would judge me by the condition of my home like we did when we were climbing the ladder.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:53 PM

11,231 posts, read 8,377,373 times
Once, as a single parent of two boys and a German Shepherd, we lived in an efficiency (yes, one room). I was harried and the place was a wreck. We got broken into and the apt manager called me at work to tell me. He said they ransacked the place. Um...no.

I'm better now. Plus my guy is much pickier so I had to pick up my game.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:59 PM

722 posts, read 506,590 times
Messiest time in our house was when our then 5 year old was diagnosed with leukemia and our then 3 year old was diagnosed with cerebral palsy and epilepsy within 10 days of each other. The following 2 years were the worst in our life and our house. We were trying to survive and keep our oldest alive while dealing with seizures in our youngest. Wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy. The house went to he11.

Thankfully, our oldest is a survivor and doing well now and we are managing our youngest child's medical issues. And it helped to purge and get rid of stuff when we decided to move states. With medical conditions managable, we've been able to get back to living like "normal" people.

But at that dark time we were home bound and under quarantine for our oldest's health so I did a lot of Amazon shopping and hoarding. Awful.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:02 PM

2,855 posts, read 3,395,684 times
Never, really! ..Our daughter had major allergies and asthma, so are house was always super spotless and clean! During our remolding we had to leave! ... My kids are all married now but I'm well trained, it's ingrained lol..

Old 10-17-2016, 08:48 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,515,355 times
Moving in, moving out, or after a party. The rest of the time I'm fairly tidy.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:18 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,314,565 times
You don't want to know.

But, some of you are making me feel better .. others are making me feel worse .. so I will revise my opinion of my 'mess' upwards to somewhere in the 'middle of the road ... leaning right'.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:55 AM

14,312 posts, read 7,883,410 times
Our house looks "lived in" from time to time and right now it really looks "lived in." Right now the garage actually looks more organized then our house. Sometimes having fun is more important then being tidy and I've been having a lot of fun lately. I'm usually a very tidy person and seeing things messy makes me unhappy. I could have things put away in the whole house and organized in about an hour. I'm watching an episode of American Pickers as I type this and they're in a house piled high with things. I don't feel too bad about my mess right now. Just thinking about all that dust makes my nose run. I could never be a hoarder, I'm just the opposite. I often throw things away that I need later just because I can't handle clutter and the chaos that goes along with it. I feel like the peace of mind of having an organized clean environment far out weighs the few extra bucks spent on replacing something that I've pitched. I will be decluttering today because we're supposed to be having company later and I prefer that they be comfortable in a clean environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or