U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 12:09 PM

123 posts, read 212,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Hinges? Lol. Never heard of anyone actually upgrading their hinges.
I changed all the hinges (48) on all our doors to brushed nickel in our new home because the builder sprayed EVERYTHING (walls, ceilings) white. It looked much better with the other matching door hardware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 12:22 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,122,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I guess I don't understand why one would "update" a house that was only built in 2002. It's only 14 years old. Replace broken stuff, sure, but bathroom fixtures ought to last at least 30 or 40 years. Changing out hinges to match? That's just nutty. Certainly if you are getting ready to sell it, don't get involved in any of that stuff. The vast majority of people will not notice your door hinges.
As a counter point to this, my house was built in 2002. I am in the process of updating lighting and fixtures. It is suprising how dated it looks after only 14 years. Three things are in play here. My personal tastes, the utterly cheap quality of fixtures the builders used and the style the bulders used. My first change was getting rid of the front door with the gold inlaid frosted glass......barf!

Old 10-18-2016, 12:50 PM

284 posts, read 257,840 times
Ya'll are so smart!! I googled it and yes, brass is making a comeback. Even on HGTV!

Well, now I'm seriously thinking about buying a product I saw on Amazon and "aging" the shiny brass that's there now to make it look more like what's trending. These are good quality Delta faucets, not the cheapies, so I might could pull off making the bathroom seem intentional instead of leftover by toning down the brass, repainting walls and accessorizing with things that work with the gold. It might be worth 15 bucks for a bottle to see how it works...

Old 10-18-2016, 04:31 PM

11,359 posts, read 8,392,114 times
It has been in the upscale home dec magazines for 4-5 years. But, they put a more golden look to it.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:56 AM

8,872 posts, read 13,515,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I guess I don't understand why one would "update" a house that was only built in 2002. It's only 14 years old. Replace broken stuff, sure, but bathroom fixtures ought to last at least 30 or 40 years. Changing out hinges to match? That's just nutty. Certainly if you are getting ready to sell it, don't get involved in any of that stuff. The vast majority of people will not notice your door hinges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Not if it's builder's grade materials from a house built in 2002.
I agree, sj. Ten years ago I moved into a house that had been built five years previously (2001). Fixtures of all types needed attention the minute I moved in.

The gas stove didn't work to my liking from Day One. Within a few months the refrigerator broke down and I had a repair person in. Then the built-in microwave stopped working. I replaced it first. Then I found a good stove on sale at Lowe's so I bought it to replace the original which I donated. When the refrigerator needed its third repair, I replaced it, too.

Among the other things that needed to be replaced before the house was ten years old ... because they were junk: all faucets, kitchen and baths; every overhead light fixture; the lock set on the front door; the A/C compressor. I also had to have second and third repairs on the A/C and two on the garage door.

The company that did the landscaping on the house when it was built planted five trees on the property. By the time they were LESS than ten years old, three of them had to be removed by a tree surgeon and a fourth one fell over in a storm. It had been irrigated improperly and never grew a tap root. Two of them were placed so close to the block wall surrounding the property that heaving roots were damaging the wall (required by the HOA). The third was planted too close to the front property line and the HOA demanded it be taken out because they thought it was blocking visibility of the corner stop sign. Getting the trees removed cost me $800.

In the most recent five years we've needed repairs on the tile roof ($1,500) and the landscaping had to be redone on two sides of the house because of severe drainage issues ($1,000). Both toilets needed to be replaced ($700) and I had to buy a new shower door to replace the wobbly cheap one in the master bath. In 2014 the exterior of the house needed to be repainted by professionals ($2,500) . (I had already repainted the entire interior myself.) The irrigation system now needs significant repairs every year and will probably be the next thing requiring replacement. The wall-to-wall carpeting is also a mess despite the fact there are only two of us in the house, it's professionally cleaned regularly, and we have no pets. Last week the ice maker on the "new" refrigerator broke and must be replaced.

These were not cosmetic changes done merely to make the house look nicer. This place is filled with inferior products that have not lasted fifteen, ten, or in some cases even five years. To think anything in this place would last 30-40 years is simply unbelievable. But at least I've kept up with things, so I'll be able to sell.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:36 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,147,721 times
We replaced all the door knobs and hinges in our home before we put it on the market. It cost a couple of hundred bucks. Our house was under contract the day after listing for over asking. I think making everything look clean and nice (we'd had the interior painted, too) makes a huge difference.

BUT, the house we bought has brass door knobs and hinges and we bought it anyways. We never even noticed the finish. Ha ha ha

Old 10-19-2016, 07:54 AM

1,613 posts, read 4,900,934 times
We are in the process of doing this now. Our house was built in 2001 and it was all builder grade. I am slowly changing out the hinges and doorknobs to brushed nickel. If we were just doing the doorknobs and not the hinges I think it would look silly. Thankfully most of the fixtures are chrome. Only one bathroom has the brass. Popcorn ceiling are gone as are the oak cabinets, but I did keep all of them and am using them in other areas of the house.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:03 AM

16,814 posts, read 29,038,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
We're getting our home ready to go on the market soon. It was build in 2002 and has been updated nicely except for the master bathroom fixtures. I can't decide if its worth it to change out all the polished brass faucets and shower door to brushed nickel or stainless. If so, what about all the door knobs and hinges. Will those need to replaced too and would I need to carry that throughout the whole house. That can get REALLY expensive fast. Just looking for some advice.
Does it make the bathroom look dated? Are they pitted, tarnished or dulled?

Old 10-19-2016, 10:46 AM

11,855 posts, read 21,435,152 times
One of the things I've done getting our house ready for sale is take all the doors off, the hinges off, and wash everything. Where the hinges are there was black dust/grease from the lube in the hinges, and the doors had marks all on them. Also lots of dust had accumulated in the hinges.

It looks so much cleaner now. If I had brass hinges and knobs I would either respray with an oil-rubbed bronze appearance assuming it goes with the the house or replace with nickel.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:17 AM

11,855 posts, read 21,435,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Hinges are about $1 each on Amazon - on a complete remodel, it's silly not to change them, we're talking $20 for the entire house and no extra time for replacement (on a complete remodel, I pull the doors & have them sprayed anyway). My market is very competitive, so touches like wide baseboard moldings, replacement knobs, hinges, outlets & switch-plates add an extra "like-new" effect & don't add much cost.

In my area, it's not unusual to have 300 homes in a subdivision that are all pretty much the same - so one that *doesn't* have any brass, or popcorn ceilings, or oak cabinets with butcher-block countertops looks & "feels" much newer & "better maintained"..

That said, on a 2002 build, I don't think I'd go that far - things like new shower doors could cost a lot of dough for minimum "pop" value. The tub/shower valves have "trim kits" available to replace all the parts you see for not much money, but unless you're completely eradicating the brass, I don't think it's worth doing at all - it'll just make the brass that's left stick out more.
Replacing outlets and switches makes a huge difference. I thought I was the only one that did that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House