U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:48 AM

2,202 posts, read 1,417,349 times

Advertisements

Fuel-less unless you have an underground gas tank or huge storage. My bud n Wisconsin had a tank
installed 150 gallons . Fuel-less although not real powerful can sustain limited power via crank, solar
or be charged off a car/truck . Fuel-less can give you lighting and refrig power enough to freeze meat
and keep parishables fresh. We are buying one in Mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 06:27 AM

2,011 posts, read 4,978,348 times
We had a whole house standing installed after a five day power outage in sub zero temperatures during Christmas week. This is in a neighborhood with underground utilities. When we bought this home, one of our requirements was underground utilities so we wouldn't lose power for an extended period of time. Turns out the grids and the wires to them were taken out or downed by ice covered tree branches.

The cost for the option of circuiting a few appliances (sump pump, refrigerators, microwave, modem) and the whole house was a marginal difference after making the decision to have the natural gas coming from the street. Had it done by a local, well established, plumbing company and they come out to service it once a year. It turns itself on at a designated time every week for 10 minutes to check itself. The light is visible (red, yellow, green) when we pull in our driveway as to whether or not it needs to be checked or serviced for any other reason. In the 4 years that it has been in, it has turned itself on for periods of 10 minutes to several hours when electricity has been lost. Most recently, a freak windstorm came through and power was lost for 10 hours in 90-100 degree heat. We've lost power more times in the 4 years that we've lived here than we ever lost in any other home. I just figure it will add to the resale value of the house.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:05 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,297,678 times
I am reading this thread with great interest. In our part of southern NJ, we lose power more often than you could ever imagine. Hurricanes, tropical storms, straight-line winds, ice storms, blizzards, you name it. The worst was a freak storm in June 2015. 5 days without power in the sweltering heat. I am getting too old to be freezing or sweating my butt off for a day or more. I think it is time to get a generator! We will likely go with a standby unit. But thanks to all who have posted so far.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:36 AM

26,579 posts, read 52,073,429 times
Be sure to understand the capabilities and limitations... also, how much noise it makes.

I advise people to see a local install of what the sales person is recommending... hear it run so no surprises later.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:27 PM

4,541 posts, read 8,380,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
5 days without power in the sweltering heat. I am getting too old to be freezing or sweating my butt off for a day or more. I think it is time to get a generator!
When did Americans become so weak. LOL.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:43 PM

26,579 posts, read 52,073,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
When did Americans become so weak. LOL.
I think it is more I can afford to be more comfortable so why not?

Old 10-31-2018, 02:43 PM

642 posts, read 986,799 times
Default Standby Generator and interlock

I just installed a breaker panel interlock system. Here in NC I was obliged to pull an Electrical Permit and to have my installation inspected. The total cost of the materials, permit and inspection was just over $350.

Here are some pictures of my install https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Rd6P3maqa2x4LKQ7

I also wrote a spreadsheet for my 42 breaker panel so that I can enable or disable circuits depending upon need and load. This spreadsheet is free for anybody to use at their own liability. If you do use it, you will need to edit it to conform to you breaker panel, appliances and generator capacity.

I have not yet purchased a generator but will almost certainly buy a Champion Power Model 100161 which is 7,500 Watts running power.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Power Load Center Breaker Panel.zip (56.2 KB, 1 views)

Old 11-02-2018, 10:54 AM

26,429 posts, read 62,677,450 times
We have a portable one for use away from the house. It is gas and about 4500 I think. I put it in part of the tree fort I was building int he woods to run power tools. It is still there. Not sure if it still works, but I am no longer strong enough to move it by myself.

We have a standby generator for the house. runs on natural gas. Or rather ran on natural gas. My daughter backed into it. Other than a dent in the case and the tie down bolts are broken off, I cannot find any damage, but it will not start.

Final verdict - no generator is best. You spend money on them and then do not use them enough and they break or get left int he woods.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:38 PM

6,406 posts, read 3,425,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I live in the Ozarks of north Arkansas where ice storms can be severe and power can be lost for weeks ....when..."the big one" hits.

Before my 1st wife died, I was worried about a power outage because she had ALS and used many electric devices........hospital bed, electric air mattress, oxygen machine.

I had a whole house Generac 20k installed and it runs off my propane tank.
It automatically starts once a week for a 12 minute test run.

I have only had the company out to service it once in 3 1/2 years because there was a louder than normal "buzz" from the electrical outside transfer when not running.

I had him change oil and he replaced one part. The company is 45 miles away and my total bill was $105

Why do people keep saying upkeep cost is high for a standby?

(total cost for my 20k General delivered,installed, and taxes was $6200)

I might not fully recoup my investment when my house gets sold but I'll bet my house will have an edge in selling compared to another house w/o a generator.
I pay $275 annually for upkeep - oil change, updates if parts worn out, etc. Call it insurance, but I figure most importantly I don't want a failure. Call me old school as I change the oil in my car every 3,000 miles. It's worth it once a year for me to change the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Please don't put your generator in or near an open garage door. A co-worker of my wife's died doing just that. The carbon monoxide seeped into the house and he died in his sleep. There was another close call in our city when a generator was running between 2 houses that were close together and the Carbon monoxide almost killed an older man.Carbon monoxide is funny in what it can do. Our plug is in the garage, but the cord goes out the door and around the corner, and the door gets shut. I fabricated a cover to shield it from the weather.
And always have a working detector as part of your generator set-up.
I live in a very rural setting. I have a 100 gal. propane tank in the backyard. On a cement pad I have a 15kw generator, the exhaust pointing away from the house. Not a portable - professionally installed outside whole house.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:26 AM

23,990 posts, read 30,112,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I pay $275 annually for upkeep - oil change, updates if parts worn out, etc. Call it insurance, but I figure most importantly I don't want a failure. Call me old school as I change the oil in my car every 3,000 miles. It's worth it once a year for me to change the oil.

I live in a very rural setting. I have a 100 gal. propane tank in the backyard. On a cement pad I have a 15kw generator, the exhaust pointing away from the house. Not a portable - professionally installed outside whole house.
how long will the generator run for on that tank?

as this is an emergency product, it would be very bad for it to fail when needed. so i feel i will definitely do at least the annual maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House