Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 11:46 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxxm98 View Post
I still can't believe you were allowed to build an outside structure on HOA property without any permits or inspections. Very hard to believe, or you did it at night piece by piece to get away with it and not have to? I don't know any HOA that would allow that as that is a safety issue. If that structure fell and someone got hurt the HOA is responsible as well as it's on their property. Also with construction materials, also hard to believe that an HOA allows it, probably the garbage guys picked up one bag and threw it in decided it was too heavy then looked in the other and saw it was construction materials and THey threw it because they can't leave any trash after pick up. Why would your neighbor wake up at 5 am and haul presumably 20-30 pounds of planks and wood over a 9ft fence?? Absolutely doesn't make sense.
I was not building a new structure, only replacing the boards on the existing structure.

As j have said at least a half dozen times, the trash people took one bag from back of the house, and a bunch of materials that I had put out front. They left nothing out front, which was some boards not even bagged.

The HOA would not be responsible for injuries on my property as they have no ownership. The property is deeded to me and I am responsible for all repairs and maintenance. They only manage te covenants of the development.

I agree it does not make sense for a sane individual to haul trash away from the trash pickup area, to put in a back yard, but that is exactly what happened. I certainly would not have exerted that much effort, but some people are crazy. I would never poison a dog, but this guy was ok with that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You're correct. A household tool is just that. Something the average homeowner uses around their house. This includes hammers, wrenches, handsaws, etc... and can extend to tools such as blenders, mixers, and other household items that can disturb the peace.

Power tools that are used outside are in a different category. Those consist of motorized equipment (lawn mowers, weed trimmers, blowers, chainsaws, pressure washers), air powered equipment (wrenches, impacts, drills, chisels), electric powered equipment (impacts, drills, saws, air compressors) that is used in construction and/or demolition. Most power tools are much louder than standard household tools, therefore the wording is somewhere in the ordinance to prevent work that would interfere with residents right to peace and quiet.

I personally feel that the OP is choosing to leave out any wording that does not support their case. In all my years of construction I have never worked in a neighborhood with an HOA that didn't limit the times that these types of tools can be used in a specific paragraph in the bylaws. These bylaws are specific to the HOA and are not enforced by the municipality.

There is typically a separate noise ordinance that covers stereos, car engines, household tools, and other household items that make noise with different times for those. These are specific to city/county ordinances and are unassociated with the HOA, however the HOA can also enforce a bylaw with similar wording as long as they are no less strict than municipal law. In this event, if the HOA has a law the municipalities will not get involved as long as their laws are not being trumped by the HOA. This is a civil matter, and not a criminal matter. The police won't get involved. They will direct you to the HOA board for resolution. The typical construction times allowed by HOAs in this area are 7am-4pm Monday through Saturday, with no work being allowed on Sunday or holidays. Some allow 8am-5pm and even as far as 7am-6pm. But never in 20 years have I seen an HOA who would allow any type of residential construction to occur until 11pm at night. Also.... since you are in an HOA I assume you had a permit to do the work? If not, you should be more thankful that the neighbor either didn't think to call you out on that or just didn't care enough to pursue it.
Are you in the south? They do things differently. Here in the north east people are less friendly, and we keep longer hours.

I copied and pasted the noise ordinance. Construction is not mentioned. The police officer agreed that I was well within the legal times. What more is there to argue about?

Just because you might want something to be the law, does not make it so...

Old 10-27-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes I remember you saying that you knew more about real estate in anybody else yada yada.

But you learned basic real estate 101 lesson that the market determines the price.

If your asking now is the same as 2015, that just confirms you were too high in 2015.

I hope you get it. It would be nice for your poor neighbors to have a good comp instead of some low price for a house with deferred maintenance dragging them down.

Also, I never heard of someone demanding a replacement AC system JUST because it's three years old. Again, there is always more to the story.
Again true story... They wanted new hvac system. I listed the house last year for same price and it was under contract within 2 weeks. That was not an overpriced house.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
In going back through to try and find some truth in all of this I ran across some inconsistencies.

1. Is the "bad" neighbor male or female?

Something else that makes no sense is how or why the neighbor can yell at you from their bathroom window that is across the street. So was this a different neighbor that was right next door? If across the street, considering minimum setback requirements from the street on both sides that it would have been a considerable distance to yell. I would imagine someone wouldn't be inclined to do that unless they feel that there is a more than valid reason.
Oh good grief dude...

He sent the wife around to the front of my house, the night we did deck. His house is in the block of townhomes behind mine. Common area belonging to the community is in between. The guy that lives next to the guy that threw the trash, came over and told me about the issues he had with the guy. Neither of them are next to me. They live in the block of houses behind my block of houses. No streets in between, just grass. We both have fenced back yards. You can drive a truck between if you want, if that gives idea of space between yards. But it is common area grass.

The trash guy opened his back window and hollered at me while I was in my back yard.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Why the attack on me, in a thread you are uninvolved in? How is my pointing out to the OP that he's being selfish and in losing money, only got what he deserved...how does that make ME a narcissist?

I am the furthest thing from a narcissist. I am one in a large family. I don't celebrate my birthday, buy myself gifts, and am considered one of the considerate people among the people I know as well as in my family. I rarely think of myself first (hence, my hard stance with the OP). I am one of the few in my family who helped care for a mean and deadbeat sister, when she became infirm. When one is the middle child in a large family, a person learns at a young age that things are not about YOU. It's about others first, and sharing. My personality is called "the pleaser." The hard worker who gives 110%, even when she doesn't get a raise, for the purpose of fulfilling her duties and pleasing the boss. THAT is who I am. Not a narcissist. I am the exact opposite of a narcissist.

I think you have me confused with the OP.

If you want to go on a personal attack against another poster for some unknown reason, and you're sure about that. I will be happy to oblige. After all, I WAS the middle kid in a large family. I'm pretty experienced at giving it back. Is that what you want?
I think he was accusing me. But I am pretty giving as well in my life, so I will ignore the guy that thinks he can give medical diagnosis to Complete strangers he has never met.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Exactly. I have a dog walking pet sitting business and work in HOAS almost exclusively. And I lived in several including now. NEVER is , anyone doing construction work outside after dinner time and that includes the builders and the subs and the residents. In fact I was laughing one night because some poor electrician was quietly working on a house late at night inside the studded walls using a only a low watt clamp light next door to one of my clients. He even came in his personal truck with no lettering (also prohibited at night but he parked it behind a site dumpster)..
Different areas have different rules. We are allowed to have commercial trucks parked. We have lots of hvac, utility, electricians in the neighborhood that park their company vehicles.

But before anyone accuses... I drive a plain black suv. No commercial vehicles. When I lived there I parked my second car at my parents house.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Neighbor relations are the subject of many posts...

I always make the extra effort to keep key neighbors in the loop... even more so with rental property.

Many problems can be avoided or minimized with communication.

I recently let all my neighbors know I was doing a major roof project and apologize in advance for the 4 days the project was scheduled and provided my contact info for questions/comments.

When I am involved with sales I visit the nearby neighbors to let them know and ask if they know anyone might be interested.

It may sound trite but to have good neighbors it helps to be a good neighbor.

Had company from out of state visit with a motor home... neighborhood RV parking overnight is not allowed... let my entire street know they planned to be here 2 nights and asked if anyone objected to a one time stay...

If you do happen to have a crazy person for a neighbor try not to add to the problem or others may find it hard to tell who the crazy one is.
Was this neighbors that live next to you, on your street, or did it also include the people that live on the street behind you?

I have never spoke to this guy in 8 years. Not even once, I wouldn't know him from Adam if he didn't come out yelling about trash the week prior. Which was bagged up weeds. Seems like he is the nut...at least his next door neighbor thinks so.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
This was an excellent post! This has been my point from the beginning. Communication can most times allow people to avoid a conflict. Being proactive always works better than reactive.

On a side note, I was cutting down a tree about 5pm yesterday and had loaded up the sections and pulled them to the street to stack up. Two neighbors came walking down the street and I started thinking "Oh no.... hope they aren't here to complain". Instead, they came down to help me unload my trailer. We've met some of the neighbors yet not all and those neighbors had mentioned that we were a nice young couple that were trying to bring the place back to life. They were thrilled. We got into a discussion about how I used to drive my Polaris RZR around the old neighborhood with the kids in the evenings sometimes but that since I didn't know anyone I didn't want to do that and be a nuisance since it can be a bit loud.... Their response? "Swing by when you're out with them. We'd love to see it!"

It does pay to be a good neighbor.
This is the relationship I have with my new neighbors. I pulled a well pump and one guy ran to hardware store to pick up a tool for me.

But I think you have to start with sane individuals.

I have no idea what is wrong with the trash guy. The woman two doors down from me is a bipolar alcoholic. Seriously. Diagnosed. She has screamed at my kids that they should be sold at a yard sale, because they rode their little bikes on the sidewalk in front of her house. They are kids and it was like 5pm. Kids should play outside. She hates kids. Her own children were removed from her and put in foster care many years ago.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:28 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
My street is 9 homes plus me... it is a Court so not really any through traffic... no backyard neighbors as this is vacant land.

It is all HOA and everywhere I have lived I have always been the new kid on the block

Old 10-27-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My street is 9 homes plus me... it is a Court so not really any through traffic... no backyard neighbors as this is vacant land.

It is all HOA and everywhere I have lived I have always been the new kid on the block
9 is a little different than 39...lol

Seriously it is like way to many to visit. Just counted 40 on my street. Then another 12 behind that back to my yard.

And the kicker is the neighbor that's bedroom is closest to the deck said she could hear some of it but it was not disruptive. If someone wants to be pissed off, they are going to be, no matter what you attempt to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House