Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:26 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogan14 View Post
Oh, and don't let anyone scare you too much - inside that panel looks exactly like how 95% of 'em look, and the basement of many older homes look just like your's.
95% of panel boards have receptacles wired in them?! You must be working in a different place than the residential electricians I know (with 20+ years expierence).

Acutally, other than the receptable, the panel doesn't look too bad. I've seen many that are far worse.

If it were me, I'd probably be pulling out a lot of the mess of wires and home running a few new circuits. You have a little room in your panel for this. And frankly, there are a few too many junction boxes for my comfort. Hubby (the residential electrican) might not agree with me, but he's not here right now so I'm just basing my opinion on 5 years working in consumer safety (with residential electric as one area of focus).

That said, I really agree with those saying to hire someone. You have such a nice house, you want the electrical done right. An electrician will be able to trace this out probably faster than a DIY-er, and will bring it up to code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 07:37 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
You 'll need to track down an electrician to see if there are wires crossed or if they tapped into another line somewhere..

Old 04-09-2008, 09:16 AM

46 posts, read 141,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
95% of panel boards have receptacles wired in them?! You must be working in a different place than the residential electricians I know (with 20+ years expierence).
Other than that receptacle, yes, that has been my "expierence" in my 20+ years as a self-employed residential electrical contractor (if someone's giving out medals for that, sign me up!). I work for myself, so can take the time to do a much better job, but that certainly is pretty much what the panel looks like with the cover off, in the average home. 'Course, I get $80/hr., and the average journeyman around here gets $25, so what can you expect. There's nothing unsafe looking about his panel - it just isn't exactly pretty. That plug is no big deal, but I can see how it might scare the average urbanite/desk jockey or insurance agent. Surely he's just got it there temporarily.

I'm just so terribly impressed. I suppose since my gal is in law enforcement, that should qualify me to make traffic stops and such. Jeez, trying to help folks out just doesn't seem to be worth it, with the way some are on these boards. Everybody trying to one-up ya, and the negative comments. People that seem to add their "2-cents" in just about everywhere, to add to their post count. Petty. Silly.

Good luck, Alabama

Last edited by Grogan14; 04-09-2008 at 09:59 AM..

Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogan14 View Post
Other than that receptacle, yes, that has been my "expierence" in my 20+ years as a self-employed residential electrical contractor (if someone's giving out medals for that, sign me up!). I work for myself, so can take the time to do a much better job, but that certainly is pretty much what the panel looks like with the cover off, in the average home. 'Course, I get $80/hr., and the average journeyman around here gets $25, so what can you expect. There's nothing unsafe looking about his panel - it just isn't exactly pretty. That plug is no big deal, but I can see how it might scare the average urbanite/desk jockey or insurance agent. Surely he's just got it there temporarily.

I'm just so terribly impressed. I suppose since my gal is in law enforcement, that should qualify me to make traffic stops and such. Jeez, trying to help folks out just doesn't seem to be worth it, with the way some are on these boards. Everybody trying to one-up ya, and the negative comments. People that seem to add their "2-cents" in just about everywhere, to add to their post count. Petty. Silly.

Good luck, Alabama
Acually I have no outside plug to plug my electric fence into............so I put it there and ran the wire through and existing hole in the wall!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 AM

86 posts, read 413,810 times
Since you have a small fuse panel upstairs, I'd suspect there still is "Knob and tube" wiring in service.

The next time the your problem lights go out run out and check the meter. If the wheel is spinning rapidly that is a good indication of a short, means you need qualified electrician yesterday.

I'm not a electrician, but have had a few older homes. If I'm wrong about the meter/short will one of electricians onboard correct me?

Don't delay getting fixed at any rate, your homeowners insurance coverage could be at stake.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:29 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,083 times
OK...........No more problems! It seems the previous homeowner tapped into the junction to power a few hanging lights in the basement(7 to be exact). They had 9 wires twisted together and a wire nut slipped over the end with only electrical tape holding the wire nut on! I simply removed the wires to the lights and put the wire nuts back on the leads that I acually needed! I'm sure the wires were not making good contact at all. It turns out that the dryer had nothing to do with my problem except that it sits right over that box. I guess when I turned it on the wires would vibrate and make contact causing the upstairs lights to come on! Below are pictures of the lights and my handy work(temporary at best).................

Old 04-09-2008, 01:46 PM

Glad you got it fixed Historic Bessemer!

Quote:
Acually I have no outside plug to plug my electric fence into............so I put it there and ran the wire through and existing hole in the wall!
Perhaps Grogan14 doesn't agree with me, but I would still recommend fixing that. Maybe I am just an "average urbanite/desk jockey", but I also like to follow code. Put it on a circuit with a breaker, then you can put a panel cover back on your panel.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:16 PM

too late to edit my post, but I want to correct myself about the receptacle not being on a breaker. It is But I did show it to DH, who said "at least its resting on the neutral side, not the hot side " He does suggest just putting it in a box right next to (outside) the panel. We then got into a discussion about GFIs for an electric fence. For an outdoor/basement/garage receptacle, you should have GFIs, but since its an electric fence, we weren't sure if the transformer will expect it to be on a GFI and account for that or if it should be a non-gfi receptcle.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:47 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"We then got into a discussion about GFIs for an electric fence. For an outdoor/basement/garage receptacle, you should have GFIs, but since its an electric fence, we weren't sure if the transformer will expect it to be on a GFI and account for that or if it should be a non-gfi receptcle."

Gotta love it. An electric fence that doesn't give a shock. Actually, I think the unit would have an isolated output, with one side grounded and the other going to the fence wire. If properly isolated, the GFI wouldn't make any difference. However, in HBs house, maybe it would turn on the tv.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:09 PM

LOL Yeah, that was the debate. The GFI would prevent the shock, but the point of an electric fence is to shock. hmmmm OTOH, its a very low voltage, so it has a transformer in there. Something we haven't encountered. Invisible fences, yes, but never wired up an electric fence, and a quick glance through the code book (NEC 2002) didn't tell me the answer. But, I didn't look too terribly hard either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House