Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 09:57 PM

924 posts, read 1,020,159 times

Advertisements

Hey all, so I tested my paint i bought on 2 panels and its been 3 months and no signs of fading a chipping; even went through a hail storm fine with no marks

but I need a 2nd opinion before i put in this effort

I am actually using the same color (a light brown color) so its more of a touch up on the entire house. I painter told me I dont need to pressure wash it; maybe just sand brush it and rinse it with water and scrub to take off the debris since its the same color I am applying

opinions? so far my 2 panels have been holding up very well...buts its only been 3 months.

oh I am also using a HVLP sprayer from lowes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 06:14 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
When we painted ours we power washed it then let it dry completely first. We didn't use a sprayer though. Make sure to get a high quality outdoor paint and be prepared to replace any wood rot you find (if you have wood on your house). We had a single story at the time and it was incredibly easy...took us a weekend to do.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:15 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post

(A) painter told me I dont need to pressure wash it; maybe just sand brush it and rinse it with water and scrub to take off the debris since its the same color I am applying

If you respect the painter, then don't pressure wash. But do sand, brush, scrape etc. to ensure there is no loose, scaling or flaking paint. Make sure the area is clean and dry before beginning.

Any bare spots, hit them with a primer.

Get the very best paint you can afford. Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore. Buy a five gallon pail if you have a lot of surface to cover. It will be less costly.

Take your time. If you are spraying cover the windows and other surfaces where you do not want paint. Cut in the trim with a good quality sash brush (angled).

Two coats should do it. Make sure it dries between coats. Maybe lightly sand the first coat to break the finish and give the second coat something to adhere to.

Good luck. Painting is not easy. A good quality painter is a pleasure to watch and more than worth their fee.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:35 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
What are you painting? Wood? Hardi Board? Concrete/Asbestos (or whatever it's made of now)?

Old 11-01-2016, 08:51 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Don't use a HVLP sprayer- waste of paint.

If you're spraying, use a "airless sprayer".

Prep'ing is a time consuming endeavor anyway you look at it. If you want to get the best possible results it's a combination of pressure washing, scraping, sanding, priming. Substituting one for another or just not doing one is one step closer to a failed job. But I'm sure it'll look great from my house!

Old 11-01-2016, 09:40 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
I don't. I spend a little money to invest in low maintenance vinyl. Only requires power washing when dirty.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:41 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
It's all about the prep. Pressure washing isn't that big a deal, so why skip it? Any dirt, mold, loose paint, rotted trim, etc. needs to be addressed first. Unless you take the time up front to prep everything properly, you're not going to end up with a quality paint job.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:11 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
You spot tested one section of the house. At a minimum there is 4 sides to the house. Don't skip on prep work. Prep is hard and time consuming but makes the finished job much more rewarding. Pressure washing will show you where the dirt is and where there is any loose old paint. Clear off any loose paint and especially dirt. You will also be able to tell if there is any wood rot or loose boards or siding. Make all the repairs and scrap the loose paint. Done right it will last lot longer and be uniform in coverage and color.
It's not fun to do the prep, but it is the most rewarding when the job is done.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:58 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
The EPA has destroyed the real long lasting paints, and now all you can use is short lasting latex. You can't even find oil based enamels anymore unless you buy out of the country.

And so it will begin to look shabby again in 5-6 years.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:12 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I don't. I spend a little money to invest in low maintenance vinyl. Only requires power washing when dirty.
It may cost us $700 in paint to do the lower part of the house which is wood siding. We are putting vinyl shingles on the top part. That is costing us $12,000. If we hire a painter to do the whole house, it will be about $6000 every time they do it.

But I'm not getting up on a high ladder at my age(67), so I can paint the bottom part no sweat, and we'll never have to paint the upper again. We might consider putting up vinyl trim to replace the wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House