Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 08:48 PM

561 posts, read 680,999 times

Advertisements

I can't figure out what the copper pipe is, or where it comes from. All I know is that it's been dripping into the 2nd floor laundry room drain for a few weeks now. I don't think it's a/c condensation, because we haven't used the a/c in a couple of months, and anyway, I visually inspected both a/c units and they both drain with pvc pipe.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 08:58 PM

25,560 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Do you have the hot water heater mounted in the attic above the laundry room? The hot water heater may be leaking into its pan and this is the overflow tube. Worse yet, this could be the blowout valve.

In either the case, you will want to replace the hot water heater pretty quickly.
PS: It doesn't really have to be mounted in the attic; if it was in an adjacent room they may have run the blowout pipe over to the laundry room.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:03 PM

561 posts, read 680,999 times
No, the water heater is in the garage below. And the T&P valve dumps out next to the garage door. (I check it regularly). Could it be something related to the water softener?

Old 11-07-2016, 09:24 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Go into the attic and see if the pipe comes into the attic- from there you should be able to follow it to its source.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:30 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,380 times
As I can see cold water faucet is leaking.
You need to conduct an audit or replace this one.
As for the copper pipe is better to view the documentation on pipes of your home, if there is one.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:31 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Go into the attic and see if the pipe comes into the attic- from there you should be able to follow it to its source.
Most likely the pipe leading to the expansion tank in the attic, but for what it was in the hot water system, I have no idea.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:11 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
I've not seen it that way but I have a pipe that supplies a few drops of water to the laundry room drain traps and to the washer overflow pan drain trap. Because those items often go long periods without regular use, the traps tend to dry out in the SW area. To prevent sewer gases from backing into the house from a dry trap, the water is trickled in. Mine is a single valve that connect to one pipe that handles the first floor and basement areas. (However, I have a third valve in the laundry connector that lets me turn the dipper off.) I bet had I not specified an air gap isolation connection, it probably would have had a void between the sewer lines and the water line. Not sure if that is what you have but it;s worth looking to see. Also, if this is a tract development, maybe one of the neighbors has it and figured it out.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Most likely the pipe leading to the expansion tank in the attic, but for what it was in the hot water system, I have no idea.

Expansion tanks don't have "drain lines" attached to them- they are directly connected to the cold water supply side.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I've not seen it that way but I have a pipe that supplies a few drops of water to the laundry room drain traps and to the washer overflow pan drain trap.

Totally weird.
And the pan is not plumbed correctly- it should not have a trap; and should not be connected to the DWV system.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Do you have a laundry sink? If so, does it have a pump in it? Could this be connected to the pump? My dad's house is set up something like that. (Built in 1971).

Where is your furnace? Water is a byproduct of burning natural gas. The water needs some place to go. Our boiler has a simlar open copper pipe suspended over a floor drain to allow water from the combustion to drain off when needed. This seems likely because you said it started dripping two weeks ago, which is when people (here anyway) started needing their furnace. Given the timing, it seems likely to be tied to the furnace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House