Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 10:25 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times

Advertisements

How do you shut the outside water off? I have a leak at the faucet outside and currently turned all the water off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 11:01 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
If your main inside cut-off valve doesn't do it, you'll have to turn it off at the street. This is what I had to do when my outside valve busted. It sucks, as you won't have water until you get it fixed.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:32 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
In the interim, go to the hardware store and get a cap - be sure it's threaded for hose threads. Install the same kind of washer you have on the hose (rubber/vinyl), and put it on the leaking faucet.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:35 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
How do you shut the outside water off? I have a leak at the faucet outside and currently turned all the water off
I have shutoff valves on the other side of the wall for each of my exterior faucets, with basement access.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:44 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
I've had all sorts of different arrangements over the years. The most common is that you have a shut off AT the water meter that controls the whole house/property. Everyone has one (so the city can turn off service for non-payment), sometimes takes a special too. In areas with freeze it's Sometimes located within the house (I had this in Wyoming).

If the shotoff is at the street the Usually there's another shutoff within the property, again it's for the Whole property and is supposed to make it easier for the homeowner to stop water in the event of a leak. I've had them in crawl spaces, under sinks, in a wall cubby/cavity.

And then you have what I do for myself, a main shutoff for everything that then feeds a distribution center. In my current house I have 4 areas I feed, a direct line to the hot water (it can only be shut off with the main), then one for the rest of the house minus the kitchen sink and fridge, one for that sink and fridge that runs through a filter and one for the outside water. I can shut off one, two or all three in any combination.

If you live somewhere with a freeze, I'd suggest you plumb the outside lines so they can be shut off and drained without affecting the rest of your property. More hassle right now, but you're dealing with an issue currently so why not?

Old 11-12-2016, 01:15 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
That is the problem with moving posts. Lots of this stuff is localized. The custom in Las Vegas is the house has two runs...one to everything but the kitchen sink and the outside house bibs. The intent is to isolate the water softener stuff from the kitchen sink and outside water. Airics house was built late enough it likely follows this pattern.

Sometimes this may also be a branch of the service to the external irrigation system. So you can try turning that off if you have a garage valve. If the valve is external I have never seen it connected to the house systems.

Often there is a cutoff in the garage on the non softener stuff. The softener stuff can be killed at the softener or a valve installed if not softener. If not you have to use the cutoff at the water meter near the street.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 2,573 times
You need to find cut-off valve that shuts water down. Usually it's outside but maybe yours is inside or basement. Find it. Or ask help from servrices like Plumbers Mississauga if you can'y handle alone

Old 12-12-2016, 08:11 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,432 times
There's usually a shut off valve for the outside faucets somewhere inside the house especially in colder climates where they tend to freeze up. The past couple of houses I've been in, two had the valve in the room where the hot water heater was , my current home has one in the garage and the other in the master bath. Seems a bit random with the placement of these valves.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:14 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
This tends to be local. In this case it is reasonably new Las Vegas. The main house valve is virtually always in the front sidewalk. Virtually all homes have an irrigation system which may have its own shutoff valve. The house may have one in the garage. Basements are very rare.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:11 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
In colder climates, most outside faucets are the freeze proof that are sloped so no outside water remains in the pipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House