Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy a home that has an HOA
Yes 166 40.99%
No 239 59.01%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 01:09 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
You capitalized "NONE", but then used the word "except"

Reminds me of people who capitalize "SORRY" in a written apology yet use the word "but" in that apology.
Perhaps I should have expressed myself with more clarity. I should have stated that I had NO HOA busy-bodies to contend with, but I do have to abide by County and State laws regarding trash, unregistered vehicles, hazardous waste, and noxious weeds, as does every property owner, large or small, in the State.
I hope that statement meets with your approval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 03:33 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
No

I lived in a Condo with an HOA. Even though I played by the rules, I was occasionally accused of breaking certain rules. I was once in business in Japan and was accused of illegally dumping a mattress in the community trash. I had to prove I was away and even lived alone and then they still blamed me.

I now own a home in a good neighborhood without a HOA. People there take care of their property, don't put out gaudy things, and overall keep their homes in tip top shape without being told. That's the sort of neighborhood I'd like to live in.

People are free to do what they want to their houses, but at the same time I don't want to live next to a house where trash piles up alongside the garage and a car sits on blocks with a cover on it for 1-2 years in the driveway. When I was home searching, if I saw these things, I looked elsewhere. I realize a HOA can help keep these things under control, but at the same time, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from it before.
I would have let the accusations go all the way to a lien, kept all my evidence and then sued for BIG money, punative damages and all the trappings. People like that need to be sent a message and they would never mess with you again.

Make sure your evidence and case is iron clad and get a lawyer on retainer and discuss options so you are ready to go as soon as that lien hits then go for the throat.

Can an HOA go bankrupt and cease to exist?

Old 12-03-2016, 09:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Thank you for that explanation. Just another reason to NOT live in an HOA!
The exterior wall of MY house is MINE, just as the 1.69 acres surrounding the house is.
NONE of it is controlled by anybody else, except for County regulations concerning trash and weed control.
Sigh. Let me explain something.

SOME HOAs include the exterior of homes as common areas - and roofs too, and sidewalks, and front yards. That's because those areas are maintained via the HOA - the homeowners have chosen to live in an HOA neighborhood where the cost and trouble of maintaining these areas is taken on by the HOA via HOA dues.

I have a friend who lives in such an area, of condo homes. Such homes and communities are common around here for older home owners who don't want to be bothered by trying to maintain the exterior of their homes, lawns, roofs, etc. That's why she can't paint her front door or plant flowers in the front yard - she knew going into this that those are common areas. She owns the INTERIOR of her condo, but not the exterior or the roof. Not something I'd personally choose but she chose it. And she also doesn't have to even mow her yard - it's done for her by the HOA.

My HOA isn't like that at all. I own my entire home and yard. Consequently, I can hang a flag on my house. I can paint my door any color I choose. I can plant whatever I want in my front yard. And my HOA dues are very low - $125 a year - because I am responsible for all upkeep of my home and property and we don't have a community pool or tennis courts or club house, for instance.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:28 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
"Sigh. Let me explain something."

Sigh all you want, explain whatever you want. It was pointed out that the exterior wall of the home where the flag was forbidden is likely considered a "common area". I pointed out that such "common areas" are another reason why I would not live with an HOA, since I consider the exterior walls of my house to be MINE, and not subject to the whims of a Board Of Directors. The same goes for my 1.69 acres of land. It is subject only to the laws in place at the County and State level; I neither need nor want another level of rules and regulations with which to contend.
When the time comes when I have to move to an assisted living facility or Veteran's Home, I will have to live with their rules, which will quite likely be very similar to having an HOA. I will deal with that when the time comes.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Some of you had trouble believing a semi parked on a residential block. Here is one from this morning. Will likely be there for the weekend. Driver likely lives nearby. Have seen him park here before.

Attachment 178286

And here is a problem with no HOA. This home began construction about 18 months ago but has been in its present state now over a year. We are particularly concerned in that he appears to have stopped maintaining the felt on the roof. This will over time lead to degradation of the structure with water damage. The house completed would be worth well over half a million. And it is very hard to do much about these. The municipality hates to force a teardown because of the loss to the owner/builder who likely has over $100,000 in the place. After a while though the neighbors will get pushy. Two are heavily impacted though they are actually on a different cul-de-sac..

Attachment 178287

Last edited by lvmensch; 04-27-2020 at 03:51 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 02:29 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,554 times
Quote:
"Sigh. I pointed out that such "common areas" are another reason why I would not live with an HOA, since I consider the exterior walls of my house to be MINE, and not subject to the whims of a Board Of Directors. .
Sorry but "whims" are not part of the HOA. You agree to any controls that are part of the HOA. Without a HOA you are subject to the "whims" of the idiot next door who does not recognize your level of reasonableness. A HOA allows you to select you level of comfort in your neighbors civility.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:39 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sigh. Let me explain something.

SOME HOAs include the exterior of homes as common areas - and roofs too, and sidewalks, and front yards. That's because those areas are maintained via the HOA - the homeowners have chosen to live in an HOA neighborhood where the cost and trouble of maintaining these areas is taken on by the HOA via HOA dues.

I have a friend who lives in such an area, of condo homes. Such homes and communities are common around here for older home owners who don't want to be bothered by trying to maintain the exterior of their homes, lawns, roofs, etc. That's why she can't paint her front door or plant flowers in the front yard - she knew going into this that those are common areas. She owns the INTERIOR of her condo, but not the exterior or the roof. Not something I'd personally choose but she chose it. And she also doesn't have to even mow her yard - it's done for her by the HOA.
Yes, in a condo those places are "limited common areas". But even in an HOA neighborhood without condominium ownership, you can have rules about painting doors or planting flowers or cutting grass or putting up awnings or garden gnomes or whatever. The exteriors not being common areas just means the HOA doesn't have responsibility, not that they don't have control. And they can add rules by board vote any time they feel like it.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
"Sigh. Let me explain something."

Sigh all you want, explain whatever you want. It was pointed out that the exterior wall of the home where the flag was forbidden is likely considered a "common area". I pointed out that such "common areas" are another reason why I would not live with an HOA, since I consider the exterior walls of my house to be MINE, and not subject to the whims of a Board Of Directors. The same goes for my 1.69 acres of land. It is subject only to the laws in place at the County and State level; I neither need nor want another level of rules and regulations with which to contend.
When the time comes when I have to move to an assisted living facility or Veteran's Home, I will have to live with their rules, which will quite likely be very similar to having an HOA. I will deal with that when the time comes.
Sigh. And I was simply pointing out that there are MANY HOA neighborhoods where you own the exterior of your own house, and your own land (whatever size the lot), etc.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yes, in a condo those places are "limited common areas". But even in an HOA neighborhood without condominium ownership, you can have rules about painting doors or planting flowers or cutting grass or putting up awnings or garden gnomes or whatever. The exteriors not being common areas just means the HOA doesn't have responsibility, not that they don't have control. And they can add rules by board vote any time they feel like it.
You CAN have rules as you describe but don't confuse what is possible with what is probable.

Our HOA does not have any control whatsoever on what color we paint our front door, or what we plant in our yard, etc.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:51 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,786 times
I voted no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House