U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 11:02 AM

33 posts, read 23,490 times

Advertisements

What do you look for when buying bedroom sets or furniture to ensure you are getting something quality? I am furnishing a condo, and it has been the most perplexing (as far as choosing) process. Unlike most things we buy, reviews are few and far between. It seems like the furniture stores brand the same furniture with different names which complicates the process of finding reviews.

The furniture I'm buying, is going in a vacation rental that I am selling, and will occasionally sleep at until it sells. I don't want splurge for the finest, but I also don't want junk.

Yesterday I was in a furniture store and found a bedroom set that looked sharp, seemed well built, at the right price. I quickly googled the 'collection name' while in store and found nothing negative on it. I purchased 2 sets. Then I got home and did some more poking around online and found the exact same set at a different store, with a DIFFERENT 'collection name' and it had dozens of horrible reviews; bed squeeks and wobbles after a few weeks, veneer peels off quickly.

Fortunately i can cancel the order, but I'm back to square one. Wtf is a consumer to do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 11:03 AM

33 posts, read 23,490 times
This is the set I am now considering. No reviews online, but Rooms To Go doesnt 'seem' like they sell junk.

Belcourt White 7 Pc Queen Panel Bedroom**-*Queen Bedroom Sets*White

Old 11-26-2016, 12:03 PM

41,183 posts, read 50,967,054 times
Rooms to Go is junk furniture. It is cheap, junk furniture, so after a few years you would need to replace it. I have a sofa I bought there a few years ago, and the only reason it's still holding up is that nobody ever sits on it. The fabric is pilling, also. It is the second try at living room furniture. They did exchange the previous sofa which developed a defect, but if they had just given a refund I would have gone elsewhere. Since you are selling the condo anyway, it should hold together until you are long gone.

The thing about rentals is that folks are not as careful as they would be if it was theirs, so you don't want to invest a lot, yet you want it to be sturdy.

I don't know which stores are near you, but an example of the medium quality that I like to stay in, is Haverty's. It's well made, but you don't feel bad if you want a change every so often.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:28 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,528,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Rooms to Go is junk furniture. It is cheap, junk furniture, so after a few years you would need to replace it. I have a sofa I bought there a few years ago, and the only reason it's still holding up is that nobody ever sits on it. The fabric is pilling, also. It is the second try at living room furniture. They did exchange the previous sofa which developed a defect, but if they had just given a refund I would have gone elsewhere. Since you are selling the condo anyway, it should hold together until you are long gone.

The thing about rentals is that folks are not as careful as they would be if it was theirs, so you don't want to invest a lot, yet you want it to be sturdy.

I don't know which stores are near you, but an example of the medium quality that I like to stay in, is Haverty's. It's well made, but you don't feel bad if you want a change every so often.
I have to second the Haverty's suggestion. We bought our king bed set from there. We have had it for almost 4 years now and it is still like brand new. We even went back and got an extra dresser to match. So now we have the king bed (headboard, footboard and frame), tall chest, long dresser with mirror, two nightstands and a media chest. I absolutely love it.

https://www.havertys.com/furniture/p...ayBedHavertys1

We liked their bedroom furniture so much we went back for more stuff. Dinning room table, sideboard, sofa table, end tables, bar....

We will be furnishing our guest rooms with their products after we move into the new place.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:44 PM

16,931 posts, read 2,159,865 times
Cussing is not getting you anywhere. When it comes to furniture you get what you pay for and 1k for a room full of stuff gets you particle board.

What is your budget, your style, what room size are you working with, which pieces do you really need?

I would start configuring the closet as you might be surprised what amount of room can be found. Pen and paper, on-line free how-to, flyers from the big box stores, free in home consultation, ... Then move on to the bedroom. We have not had dressers for 20 years thanks to well laid out closets.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:52 PM

4,694 posts, read 8,508,740 times
I've only had luck buying New one time of about 8, across a fairly wide range of price points. Reverse those numbers for buying USED, and that's exactly where my bedroom suite was found. It's a 1930's Art Deco set of 7 items (wardrobe, dresser, large beveled mirror, bed and 3 night stands ~ 2 used to be a makeup dresser but that was split). This stuff is in Phenomenal condition, is so much better quality than anything I've seen at Any price point and new, and I only paid $600 for everything.

I didn't use the "bed", other than the head and foot boards, because it was a double size and I need a Queen for length (6'4"). So the head and foot boards are attached to a modern steel platform base with some very common brackets.

Our dining room stuff (side table, dining table, hutch) are all 1950's/mid-century modern/atomic style and I'm not sure if we have more than $400 into all of that. Living room has more modern stuff (Ikea couch, flexsteel overstuffed chair) alongside our garage sale finds (1900's church pew, ~1940's dresser, couple family heirloom/handmade end tables).

Takes a little more work, but you get something a LOT more interesting/unique and typically of Substantially better quality. Not saying I would load up on all one style, well maybe Craftsman as there are very few people who don't like that style, but quality older items will speak more to potential buyers who tour the space than new items. At least IMHO...

Old 11-26-2016, 04:09 PM

5,670 posts, read 6,463,442 times
For what you paid for the entire set, it's fine. If you like the style and look, you won't find much better new furniture at that price point. I new quality mattress alone in about $1500.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:05 PM

2,893 posts, read 7,908,406 times
The thing that caught my eye in the furniture description was that it was made from "wood solids", most likely particle board or MDF.

If you want durable furniture buy solid wood.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:40 PM

10,604 posts, read 15,576,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw View Post
This is the set I am now considering. No reviews online, but Rooms To Go doesnt 'seem' like they sell junk.

Belcourt White 7 Pc Queen Panel Bedroom**-*Queen Bedroom Sets*White
If I understood you, you're only furnishing the condo to stage it, and selling it? Are you selling it furnished?

Or keeping the furniture?

I don't see any problem with that Rooms to Go set, when you rent a place people are careless. It looks modern and "vacation-y". White is probably a good choice. Harder to leave marks on.

I've been in there. Some of their sofas are much more firm than others. The soft ones' cushions will break down and you'll need to replace the foam after a couple years. Otherwise, I think it's fine.

I bought a Living Room wall unit and DR set from Ashley and it held up well. It looked expensive and I got alot of compliments on it. Now in Florida as a dog walker I see quite a bit of it in rentals.

IDK if you have one near you.

https://www.ashleyfurniturehomestore...anner-bedrooms

What I REALLY caution you is make sure about ODORS. I bought a wicker set when I moved to FL and couldn't put my clothes in it because of some type of weird smell in there!

Old 11-26-2016, 08:40 PM

4,567 posts, read 9,277,117 times
I only buy antique furniture. No mdf, no particle board, no crap. Well made oak, maple, etc. Since its timeless antiques, it never goes out of style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House