Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 02:43 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
That is UNACCEPTABLE and you should sue the company otherwise it could be repaired with sealant if its marble,, i can’t believe how stupid they were! that happened to me a new kitchen countertop was marble and stupid man left his drill on it it scratched so i yelled and told him to kick rocks and replace it. he did. if they did it they’re responsible. but you have to have evidence or they will deny it.
Hi, what do you mean by "evidence"? We have not moved into the bathroom yet -- the contractor still has 1-2 days of work left to do. I'll be speaking with him first thing tomorrow morning and will show him the all the scratches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 02:47 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Hi, what do you mean by "evidence"? We have not moved into the bathroom yet -- the contractor still has 1-2 days of work left to do. I'll be speaking with him first thing tomorrow morning and will show him the all the scratches.
Thats enough rite there thats what i mean. if someone walked on it, its harder to prove it was them. talking to him tomorrow and showing him is all u can do. good luck

Old 11-27-2016, 03:11 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
I am having my bathroom renovated. New marble floors were installed about 2 weeks ago. I was looking at them for the first time in natural light. I was shocked to see that all the tiles are badly scratched up. I believe it was caused by construction debris getting in the shoes of the workers and them walking all over it (they did not cover the tile after laying it down). The shower wall tiles have no scratches. We used unsanded grout. I am very displeased. There are tons of scratches, some of which are quite deep. What do you recommend to correct this? I think the worst tiles should be replaced, but what are the chances of other tiles being damaged (chipped, cracked) during the replacement process?
Marble scratches. This is why it's not recommended for kitchen counters, for example. Some even consider it part of the look of marble. But you might be able to buff the scratches out.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it. It's either scratched now or later. But scratched it WILL be. It's also pretty slippery for a bathroom floor. Marble is usu. recommended for walls, or maybe an island counter top that gets light use. Maybe a bathroom counter top, since that gets less harsh use than a kitchen counter top. I had a marble counter top once; it did get scratched over time, even though I lived alone and was very careful. It's a soft stone that scratches easily.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Question.

What work has been done since the tile was laid? If there were other subs in the bathroom after the tile was laid, then it was probably those subs that scratched the marble.

You say that there is still work to be done in the bathroom, it appears more subs scratching up the tile floor.

It appears that the marble you chose for the floor is a very soft marble, and very easily scratched. Impossible for the people doing the other work in the bathroom, without damaging it. It is the type of tile, that should never be put down as a floor, and this is the real problem.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:01 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Question.

What work has been done since the tile was laid? If there were other subs in the bathroom after the tile was laid, then it was probably those subs that scratched the marble.

You say that there is still work to be done in the bathroom, it appears more subs scratching up the tile floor.

It appears that the marble you chose for the floor is a very soft marble, and very easily scratched. Impossible for the people doing the other work in the bathroom, without damaging it. It is the type of tile, that should never be put down as a floor, and this is the real problem.

After the tile floor was laid, there was vanity installation, sink fixtures, electrical fixtures, tub and toilet installation, painting, etc. Lots of other workers.

I understand that marble is soft and scratch easily. I have absolutely no problems if I, as the homeowner, or my family, or my pets, are the ones who make the scratches after the floor is laid down. But I feel that since the tiles came out of the box pristine, I should expect an equally pristine floor at the end of the project. I am upset that my contractor did not protect the floor after installation.

I still have yet to talk with him. I would like him to replace the worst looking tiles. I am concerned if he will be skilled enough to remove and replace without damaging surrounding tile. Is replacement a difficult task?

Old 11-27-2016, 07:11 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Just buff it out. Marble is soft and easy to refinish. I have a 30 x 60 slab of marble on my kitchen island, and have refinished it twice, using nothing but an orbital buffer and grinding/polishing compound. Let the contractor do it the first time, then it's going to be part of your annual spring cleaning chores. A day on your knees will spiff it right up.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:48 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
I love my slate floors. Just sayin for anyone who reads this wanting to install marble.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:02 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
After the tile floor was laid, there was vanity installation, sink fixtures, electrical fixtures, tub and toilet installation, painting, etc. Lots of other workers.

I understand that marble is soft and scratch easily. I have absolutely no problems if I, as the homeowner, or my family, or my pets, are the ones who make the scratches after the floor is laid down. But I feel that since the tiles came out of the box pristine, I should expect an equally pristine floor at the end of the project. I am upset that my contractor did not protect the floor after installation.

I still have yet to talk with him. I would like him to replace the worst looking tiles. I am concerned if he will be skilled enough to remove and replace without damaging surrounding tile. Is replacement a difficult task?
Wow, I would be really upset too! I was upset when my new TOILET SEAT was scratched by contractors laying their tools on it. (The GC paid for a new one.) So a couple questions: If you knew the marble could scratch easily, why didn't you insist it be protected? Or did you not know it was prone to scratching until now? I wouldn't volunteer the information to the GC that you knew it was a soft and scratchable material, because he might then say you were there the whole time the rest of the work was being done and saw that the floor wasn't covered. Good luck, let us know......

Old 11-28-2016, 12:08 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
Problem. With all the work being done in the bathroom, how was the contractor supposed to protect the floor to the extent it would not be scratched. You can't put something down that would trip workers, or your insurance would be all over you as causing serious injury.

The floor is normally installed after the other work has been done, when you are using something like soft marble which is easy to scratch. There is practically no way that it could be kept from having some scratches with all the people doing work in the bathroom.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:51 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Diamond finish your marble and then have it sealed.

They will look amazing.
I agree. But the clown contractor who didn't cover it should pay for it.

We remodeled last year and earlier this year. Our travertine floors were covered with a thick paper and taped down the whole time. No tripping. Guys then wore booties over the shoes. And at the end I did what the OP states. They look fabulous. But in order to keep them this way you need to become a no shoe house. Footies or slippers only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House