U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:30 PM

624 posts, read 2,850,816 times

Advertisements

Just bought a house and the gutters are packed full of leaves...I have a 12' ladder and used that where the gutters are low and the ground beneath them is flat, but a lot of my gutters have sloped land under them so the ladder isn't straight because of this...I'm thinking it will be easier to climb on the roof and clean them from up there, but the roof is very high (almost 30 feet in some places)could probably use a harness and rope/anchor but can I safely reach these heights with a ladder of some type? I'll buy whatever I need. Any advice? I want to do it myself because I will probably also install some of those leaf gutter guards to avoid having to clean them all the time. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:14 PM

12,134 posts, read 22,273,218 times
Long extension ladder, but they tend to be a bit expensive when you get that high. If you do go this route, don't get the cheapest one you can find that will just barely reach the height you need it to. Get at least a Type 1 (even better is a type 1A) that is 3 or 4' taller than the hight you need it when fully extended. Just don't pass out when you see how much a GOOD fiberglass extension ladder is.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:20 PM

So, how do I deal with the sloped land underneath safely? (one leg of the ladder won't be on the ground) - should I just dig a hole and bury the ladder until it's level at the top?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 PM

2,238 posts, read 6,486,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
So, how do I deal with the sloped land underneath safely? (one leg of the ladder won't be on the ground) - should I just dig a hole and bury the ladder until it's level at the top?
You can buy ladders that have adjustable feet to compensate for the slope.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
You can buy ladders that have adjustable feet to compensate for the slope.

oh, thanks-I hadn't seen any of those...will have to check around more for those ladders. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2008, 02:16 PM

256 posts, read 921,821 times
You might want to consider renting a cherry picker or an aerial lift. It would be much safer and would make moving around while working significantly easier. I have a 4 story TH and I can't fathom the idea of climbing up there on a ladder to clean the gutters. Just try and plan other work at the same time such as checking the flashing on your roof.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:43 PM

311 posts, read 1,255,118 times
I have a 3 story and dread going up there a few times a year to do this chore! My land also sloped and i have dug down until the ladder is relatively level and stable. I have never used the leg levelers, but assume they work fine - its just easier for me to dig down about a foot until its level. once I am up on the roof i do it all from up there - I don't move the ladder around. My roof pitches pretty steeply and i found the easier way is to slowly slide by body down (on my stomach) down the length of the gutter and clean out about 2 foot sections at a time, then slide a bit further and repeat. Wear long pants and sleeves since the shingles tend to scrap you up as you shimy along.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:10 PM

4,065 posts, read 13,366,092 times
I hire someone to do my house (he is insured and bonded) which has very high gutters. He works from the roof but uses a safety harness screwed to the peak of the roof.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:24 PM

I think I'm going the roof harness route...just seems way safer. Even if I'm on a 32' ladder I could still fall, etc...seems like it would be safer to be on the roof tied to one of those anchor deals-I'm pretty good at climbing on roofs, used to do it as a kid-my sister and I would literally run all over the roof while we were out of school for the summer and my parents were at work...looking back on that I'm surprised we never fell and broke our necks.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:07 PM

251 posts, read 747,459 times
Default Oh the horror!!

Reading all the tips on how not to injure, maim, or kill yourself while attempting to clean gutters has got me laughing hysterically. My husband insisted on spending $3000 on gutterguards for the very reasons I see on this thread. I was so NOT thrilled with this use of our money, but now I think it may have saved his life!

We too have a very sloped yard, and lots of trees. Those gutters seemed to clog in no time, and he was out there frequently de-leaving the blasted things. One day my normally extremely patient spouse just had enough! We had gutterguards with in the week.

I've been steamed about it ever since. But this thread just helped me realize that if we live in this house for the next 20 years like we intend, and those gutterguards keep my husband from serious injury or death by falling off a ladder - then they were a small price to pay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House