Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 03:27 PM

1,185 posts, read 804,539 times

Advertisements

Looking to finish about 400 sq ft. I have been reading about the owen corning system.

Are they worth it or would you go the traditional route ; framing and sheetrock?

I saw on youtube that it's about $40 per sq ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 04:23 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
I think I would go traditional. The major difference would be access to utilities. That can be done with traditional studs and sheet rock. Also, the ad mentions moisture resistance. If moisture is a problem, it needs to be repaired first or you will have mold issues later.
I don't know what your current basement is right now but, in my humble opinion it would be better to do framing and sheet rock. I don't see any real advantage.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:24 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
I saw this first-hand at the IHBS (International Home Builders Show) when OC first introduced it. I was very impressed with the system and how it was installed- especially its acustical qualities. Then I got a price schedule and about fell out on the floor!

Could I shave 3wks off a build out schedule- your damn right! Was it worth the extra $10-12k; oh, Hell no! Especially when a homeowner can have a finished space that looks just like the rest of the house- instead of "panelized" basement.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:10 PM

52 posts, read 56,984 times
Have you checked out the insofast system for framing and insulating concrete walls? Still need to do the sheet rock to finish. It's a great product, I just used it finish 1260 sq ft for about 2k, with no holes in my concrete.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:35 PM

1,185 posts, read 804,539 times
Same thing on my end. I can potentially finish 800 sq ft.

Currently my basement is bare concrete (both walls and floor), exposed joists as well.

I think I'm going to put a coat of drylock on the walls, then see if there is a contractor that can frame it and install a drop ceiling.

Part of that basement, will be a dedicated home theater so it will have the black ceiling tiles instead of white. It's pretty much a rectangle basement.

One contractor quoted me $5000. That includes materials and labor to frame a 14X14, install drop ceiling and sheetrock finish but excludes flooring. I nearly dropped to the floor when he said excluding flooring, electrical work.

I think $5000 for 14X14 is too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House