Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:48 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

I run my exterior lights on timers. two lights stay on all night long, but other lights are timer dependent based on when I'd most likely need them. For example I rarely come home after 11PM, so no need for my porch light to be on past that. Driveway lights are the same, and I even have my house number light on a timer because nobody needs to see that at 3AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 11:12 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
I have two garage lights and a light outside the patio and deck. All are 5000k led. They are on sunrise/sunset timers and are on every night of the year. I was just informed by my new nieghbor that my garage lights shine right into her bedroom window. She had a very disapponted look on her face when I informed her that the lights will stay on. Guess coming around the house at night before she bought was not part of her due dilligence.

Jeeze, must be like living opposite a football stadium with floodlights. Horrible.

And why do your lights shine in her window. Do you not know how to angle them?

Old 12-14-2016, 11:15 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Jeeze, must be like living opposite a football stadium with floodlights. Horrible.

And why do your lights shine in her window. Do you not know how to angle them?
They are not the kind that you can angle. The design of her house is such that her bedroom window is next to my garage. blame the builders not me. the light is bright but actually very pleasant. It puts out the same color and hue as a full moon on a clear night.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:01 PM

400 posts, read 573,656 times
Quote:
They are not the kind that you can angle. The design of her house is such that her bedroom window is next to my garage. blame the builders not me. the light is bright but actually very pleasant. It puts out the same color and hue as a full moon on a clear night.
I find it amusing you consider a 5000k light shining into a person's bedroom window as "pleasant". It's not hard to replace a light fixture with something less intrusive. Especially if it helps in the neighbor relations department.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:27 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
I'm betting from her perspective, it's the design of YOUR house that places your garage next to her bedroom window.

But I can't help wondering how you'd be feeling if someone had their "pleasant" 5000K LED light shining directly into your bedroom window.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:40 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
We have lights on either side of the garage door and another at the entry to the home. The garage door lights are decorative and come on at dusk, go off at dawn. They have LED's in them and although on are at a lower voltage when no one is around. When you get in front of them they brighten up. As you pass the garage and get to the entry way for out home we have another light that is similar to the garage lights and can come on as you walk up. We have the same all around out home, decorative lights with motion detectors.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
LED are very directional, you could simply point them lower and be a good neighbor.

She could very easily install some flood lights herself and point them at your windows until you decide its not in your best interest to be a bad neighbor.
Please explain to me how a screw in led light bulb in a wall mounted fixture with four sided glass is "very directional" And let me get this straight. I have lived here well over a year with the exact light situation. My neighbor mentions that the light shines into her bedroom, I say the situation will not change because i need the security lighting. And i am a bad neighbor? Like i said before.....due diligence goes a long way when buying a house. Oh and by the way...the light conversation happened as I saw her planting a new tree on the very edge of my property line...in place of the one that she had cut down which obstructed a view of a nearby house nicely. She said she hoped I did not mind that she was planting the tree so close. My answer was.." it is your land. who am i to tell you what to do with it" does that sound like a "bad neighbor" answer? jeez some people! And here is the other thing! I hope my new neighbor can learn to use the blinds which are on most modern houses. it will be a small price to pay for the fact that I do not party. do not have a barking dog, do not have junk cars, do not make any kind of noise other that coming and going out of my garage. have no screaming children etc. But go ahead and explain how this makes me a bad neighbor...please!

Last edited by cargoman; 12-14-2016 at 01:15 PM..

Old 12-14-2016, 01:32 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
If she has an issue with it she could buy blackout curtains...that's what we did in our last house due to a street light being a little too close to our son's window. It's amazing how those work!

But as for lights - we turn them on in the evenings and off when we go to bed. We do have a couple motion sensor lights that stay "on" but only if they're triggered.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm betting from her perspective, it's the design of YOUR house that places your garage next to her bedroom window.

But I can't help wondering how you'd be feeling if someone had their "pleasant" 5000K LED light shining directly into your bedroom window.
That is hilarious. Someone moves into an established neighborhood with a house next door and you are betting on her perspective? What? you want me to tear the garage off my house and move it to a more convienient location for the neighbor who failed to "see" the lights on the garage or take the impact into consideration? For the record. When it comes to bedroom windows, mine is invaded by a different sort of "annoyance" in the winter my neighbor warms up and drives his monster truck to work. In the summer it is the Harley. He moved in after I bought the place so due dilligence was observed. It wakes me up each and every morning! I have never complained! I did joke with him once that I about crapped myself the first morning I heard the Harley start up, but I realized that I live with other people around me who have other habits or situations I might not like. Unless I buy a huge plot of land outside of the city I and she will have to deal with it!

Old 12-14-2016, 01:51 PM

244 posts, read 514,434 times
Has anyone bothered adding cameras outside in addition to their outdoor lights something like the Arlo Pro (don't have to hardwire) or do you feel that just having the lights on or on a trigger is good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House