Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:35 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Not to mention but there's these things called drapes? If I moved into an established area, and my neighbor's light shined through my window, I'd buy drapes. Not a big deal.
Thank you for this. You are a reasonable person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 10:20 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
We have motion-detector lights in four spots around the house. They provide light when we drive or walk in those areas without blasting beams elsewhere. They go off quickly (can be adjusted for duration).

I much prefer them to the SmartTimer units that I programmed to go on at dusk and off at bedtime. I think they merely help a burglar to see where to hit, whereas the MD lights startle them and ruin their night vision. I threw away the SmartTimers rather than donate them because I sure didn't want someone inflicting unwanted light anywhere else, either. I can also still turn on the previously-SmartTimered lights the old-fashioned way...by flipping a switch, for when we expect a visitor.

Yes, drapes prevent neighbor's lights from glaring inside your house, but if you like to actually look at a dark night sky and stars, all-night lights are infuriating. MD lights pointed to your own property avoid this problem by limiting the scattered light AND by turning off when motion in the detection range goes away.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:39 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
A quick apology to the OP for the thread hijack. Apparently this thread has become all about me.

hahahah No prob Cargoman... I'm enjoying the banter!! I think I'm just a little overcautious since I live alone and it is very dark where I live - I come in from a Hockey game or dinner and hate that I can't see. We have deer in the woods who like the brush and bushes and I don't want one of them dashing across the drive as I am coming in.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:16 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Thank you for this. You are a reasonable person.
Don't tell my husband.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Not to mention but there's these things called drapes? If I moved into an established area, and my neighbor's light shined through my window, I'd buy drapes. Not a big deal.
But then why should someone have to keep their house all closed up just because their neighbor needs to have blinding lights shining on the neighbors' houses at all hours of the night? I like having my windows open during the fall and spring. Any drapes that are heavy enough to keep out bright lights are also going to keep out the cool breeze.

If you want to always have your outside lights on, that is fine. Just be considerate of any neighbors.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But then why should someone have to keep their house all closed up just because their neighbor needs to have blinding lights shining on the neighbors' houses at all hours of the night? I like having my windows open during the fall and spring. Any drapes that are heavy enough to keep out bright lights are also going to keep out the cool breeze.

If you want to always have your outside lights on, that is fine. Just be considerate of any neighbors.
They are not "blinding" yes they are in the 5000k range but the bulbs are designed to be a soft muffled light...no exposed elements etc. Also please read my other posts so you can be informed of how "considerate" I actually am as a neighbor.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:22 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
They are not "blinding" yes they are in the 5000k range but the bulbs are designed to be a soft muffled light...no exposed elements etc. Also please read my other posts so you can be informed of how "considerate" I actually am as a neighbor.
5000k is also not a brightness it's a color. The k is for Kelvin. I learned this when the world was switching from incandescent to fluorescent. 2700k looks like a traditional color incandescent light. That's what people wanted.

Now, often a light used for crafting or art painting is in the 5000k range because that color imitates natural light. If you look at the Ott craft lighting, those are in the 5000k range, specifically 5500...

So just because he's using 5000k lights, that just means it's a blue white color. In my experience LEDS aren't screaming bright, either.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
5000k is also not a brightness it's a color. The k is for Kelvin. I learned this when the world was switching from incandescent to fluorescent. 2700k looks like a traditional color incandescent light. That's what people wanted.

Now, often a light used for crafting or art painting is in the 5000k range because that color imitates natural light. If you look at the Ott craft lighting, those are in the 5000k range, specifically 5500...

So just because he's using 5000k lights, that just means it's a blue white color. In my experience LEDS aren't screaming bright, either.
again! Thank you for pointing this out! To those that just freaked the **** out when they saw 5000k

Old 12-16-2016, 08:00 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
When I lived in the suburbs, I did leave my front porch light on. It didn't shine into any neighbors' windows, otherwise I would have found another option.

We live in a rural area now and have a sensor light and that's it. It's on the garage in case we come home after dark or in case a bear or something comes to visit. Otherwise, it's dark. I enjoy sleeping at night and if I wake up, seeing the stars in the sky. During the summer, we sleep with the windows open and blinds up, on the warmer winter nights, we sleep with the blinds up so we can look at the stars or moon if we wake up at night. It would be horrible to have a bright light shining in through our bedroom window!

Old 12-16-2016, 08:05 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
We have streetlights but I leave my front and back porch lights on. Most houses in our neighborhood seem to. I like having the extra light if we get home in the dark, and in my head it makes it a bit more of a deterrent for burglars, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House