Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 08:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I thought nearly everyone knew nowadays, the hazards in this junk, these items should never be allowed on shelves.
5 Things You Should Know About Air Fresheners - Grandparents.com
Not only that, but I live in a 4700 Sq ft house and one of those things is beyond sickly overpowering (I tried a wallflower of my favorite scent).
Can't imagine one or more in an apartment.
Blecch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 08:58 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not only that, but I live in a 4700 Sq ft house and one of those things is beyond sickly overpowering (I tried a wallflower of my favorite scent).
Can't imagine one or more in an apartment.
Blecch.
I suffer from MCS chemical sensitivities , have done for over fifty years and know what Im talking about with these horrendous things, how their still being sold is beyond me, same with fabric softeners,have you noticed how light headed you become from the smell wafting from the machine with this stuff and check out whats in that too... scary.IM adding fabric softeners as most people who like air fresheners polluting their houses usually like the smell from their washing machine with this conditioner, One of the ingredients is chloroform,believe it or not.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You'll return home to a fairly powerful scent of Vanilla, or Lavender, or whatever scented plugin you bought.

The power will be more from the fact that you're not used to smelling it for the past 3 days or so.
It will be more with the house being closed for a few days .

Old 12-25-2016, 09:59 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Default If you can resolve your ventilation issues, you might not need to use scented products to have non-stinky air.

Quote:
I thought nearly everyone knew nowadays, the hazards in this junk, these items should never be allowed on shelves.
Even the linked FUD article doesn't actually say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandparents.com
While it’s been established that air freshening products contain hazardous chemicals, and that these chemicals are present in the air where you use them, not every researcher believes the average exposure will cause you harm. Kent Pinkerton, Ph.D., Director of the Center for Health and the Environment at the University of California Davis, specializes in inhalation toxicology and studies the health impact of particles present in outdoor and indoor environments. “I’m not sure that we should say air fresheners should be banned from use,” says Dr. Pinkerton. “We don’t really have solid evidence of that. But certainly some of the chemicals that have been measured from air fresheners should draw caution.”
. . .
Dr. Ovnair Sepai, Principal Toxicologist at Public Health England’s Centre for Radiation, Chemical and Environmental Hazards, in response to the media uproar about air freshener: “The use of scented candles and other household cleaners is not a public health concern under normal ventilation conditions or product use.”

Old 12-25-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Even the linked FUD article doesn't actually say that.
and the band played "Believe it if you like" so you dont mind these floating around your home and being breathed in, think of babies , pregnant women or people with already breathing problems.

Alcohols
Esters – formed by condensing an acid with an alcohol and commonly used for fragrances
Formaldehyde – the National Toxicology Program in the US describes formaldehyde as “known to be a human carcinogen”
Limonene – this colourless liquid hydrocarbon has a strong smell of oranges and is also a strong industrial solvent
Petroleum distillates

Last edited by dizzybint; 12-25-2016 at 10:20 AM..

Old 12-25-2016, 10:29 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,453 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link. In all fairness I never use these things just because I find those artificial scents to be aweful. Now In all fairness to the OP and the original question, if you wish to start a debate on the health effects of air fresheners then start a new thread please. This is turning into another thread hijack!

Old 12-25-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Thanks for the link. In all fairness I never use these things just because I find those artificial scents to be aweful. Now In all fairness to the OP and the original question, if you wish to start a debate on the health effects of air fresheners then start a new thread please. This is turning into another thread hijack!
apologies, didnt realize carogman.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:36 PM

858 posts, read 1,806,489 times
Dangerous or not, all I know is that I get a headache when they are in use.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:17 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Pee-Yoooouu!

Old 12-26-2016, 11:26 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
Thanks... I saw some crazy email chain that said they burn houses down.... I'm pretty sure I had left them plugged in for weeks when I left for Italy when I lived in my exes house.
Sure they can. So can cell phone chargers, alarm clocks, and any other electrical device plugged into a receptacle that's not wired properly.

If your wiring is okay, your plugins are okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House