Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 08:07 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Keep your old toilets. Place a couple of bricks in the tank to take up room. And make them lower flow. Adjust the tank float to its lowest setting too.
Low flows suck for the most part. Especially the cheap low flows
That's exactly what I did. I put a few bricks in the tank to take up room and artificially raise the water level. Works great and I still have my great old 5-gallon-per-flush toilets, albeit with something less than 5 gallons of water. Whenever I go somewhere that has low-flow toilets, I chuckle about the need to flush them 2-3 times to make the toilet paper go down. Doesn't seem like they save much water that way.

My plumber told me to think twice about getting rid of my old toilets and my old bathtub. I was surprised at how small bathtubs have gotten. But that's a subject for another thread....

I live in NJ, not CA. I realize things may be different in different parts of the country, depending on the local water supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 04:41 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The $100 Lowes toilet is fantastic.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/AquaSource-...Toilet/3582304

This thing will flush away anything on single flush but it does have the double flush. The only problem is not a lot of water in the bowl.

The stuff that comes with it like the seat is pretty cheap but other than that no complaints.

I had some cheap low flows in a rental. The previous ones worked fine but they weren't low flow. The new low flow ones had a ton of complaints. And the complaints were from tenants that never complained before. I stepped up to Kohler low flows and those worked better. I have yet to find a cheap low flow that works well. Everyone I talk to in the plumbing trades hates those things with a passion. My plumber despises them.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:53 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,284 times
Front yard ordimate.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:41 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Keep your old toilets. Place a couple of bricks in the tank to take up room. And make them lower flow. Adjust the tank float to its lowest setting too.
Low flows suck for the most part. Especially the cheap low flows
It's best to put the bricks in plastic zip loc bags to prevent weathering of the bricks. Make sure there's no air in the bag which might cause them to shift around. I've also used weighted 1 liter bottles to decrease flush volume.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:43 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Don't know what to do with your old toilet,
make it a yard conversation piece.
If one is inclined. However, how much nicer it might look if the base were sunk in the ground to help conceal what it is.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:47 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
That's exactly what I did. I put a few bricks in the tank to take up room and artificially raise the water level. Works great and I still have my great old 5-gallon-per-flush toilets, albeit with something less than 5 gallons of water. Whenever I go somewhere that has low-flow toilets, I chuckle about the need to flush them 2-3 times to make the toilet paper go down. Doesn't seem like they save much water that way.

My plumber told me to think twice about getting rid of my old toilets and my old bathtub. I was surprised at how small bathtubs have gotten. But that's a subject for another thread....

I live in NJ, not CA. I realize things may be different in different parts of the country, depending on the local water supply.
They've flushed well for 15+ years now if you buy the right brands.. a Toto Drake is not going to give you flushing problems.... the idea that they don't flush well is mostly because of having builder grade garbage installed in new constructions to save $30-60 per toilet.

Both of the low flows that came with my used home... one's a Gerber and the other a Crane, both handle my largest loads. On the other hand the toilets in my rental did not and would clog all the time. Not all toilets are the same... spend $150 or more on one that gets at least 4.5 out of 5 stars in reviews, or spend $250 to get the Toto Drake which is an idiot proof choice.

Since I don't like to "let it mellow" and will flush every time, I'd rather be using 1.28 or 1.6 gallons over 3.5+ gallons.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Above ^ They don't think it's attractive, they think it's funny.

Posters who say there will be demand for old toilets are right. Lots of people like the old ones better... they flush better. Advertise them on craigslist or facebook buy/sell groups.
They used to smuggle non-low flow toilets in from Canada. Every now and then the paper woudl mention them busting up a toilet smuggling ring. Dirty smugglers bringing in those evil Canadian toilets you only flush once and save water. What is wrong with them?

Old 01-05-2017, 04:32 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
It's best to put the bricks in plastic zip loc bags to prevent weathering of the bricks. Make sure there's no air in the bag which might cause them to shift around. I've also used weighted 1 liter bottles to decrease flush volume.

Yup. Another way is to fill up a ziplock bag with water and leave it in the bottom of the tank.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:23 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
So,Mark85, what did you wind up doing?

I have found that most everything goes when there's a CL free/curb alert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House