Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 04:06 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I don't recommend them if you have pets.

Just imagine that one in a 100 poo accident on the floor. Now it is run over by the roomba and spread all over the house.

The "poopastrophe". Yes, if your dog poops on the floor, if will become a large, embedded poop streak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 05:57 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
I'm thinking about getting one. We don't have any pets and tile on all floors except the bedrooms. Sounds like this would be ideal for us!

The noise factor concerns me a bit. Hubby telecommutes. I suppose we could just close his office door. That would probably have to happen anyway. He has at least three computers and probably a mile of cords and wires in there.

Question: How noisy are these?

Old 01-03-2017, 06:23 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I'm thinking about getting one. We don't have any pets and tile on all floors except the bedrooms. Sounds like this would be ideal for us!

The noise factor concerns me a bit. Hubby telecommutes. I suppose we could just close his office door. That would probably have to happen anyway. He has at least three computers and probably a mile of cords and wires in there.

Question: How noisy are these?
It depends.... a cop out answer I know, but it's true. It varies by model, some are louder than others. Also, the brush on the Roomba makes a big difference. We swapped out brush on ours (you can find alternative brushes on Amazon and Ebay) and it reduced the noise. Based on my experience Neato robots are quieter than Roomba robots. There's a specific site for discussion on robot vacs here, I found it useful as we were shopping for new vacs, parts and ideas.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:28 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Yeah instead of vaccuming your house in a half hour with a regular vacuum let the roomba do one room in 6 hours no thanks.
Plus the bonus of exercise. Sounds like the little robot improves over the years and the price comes down? Are the little guys expensive? I think one sounds good for my lower level with 2 kitties. Better check for messy accidents, before using the little robot. Wonder why it takes so long to vacuum? Sounds like my computer, slow brain? Thinking about what is in it's path???

It will take a little "kid genius" to figure the robot's system.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:39 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
I have 4 pets and children running around and making messes all the time. I just do a quick walk through of the rooms before running it to make sure there aren't any wet or gross things like a hairball laying around. The poop thing only happens if you don't check beforehand. I don't program it to run at set times because of this but it's not so loud that it disturbs us unless it gets stuck on the fireplace which happens occasionally.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:14 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
I have one that I use occasionally, but I often just find it easier to use my Shark Rocket Ultralight. I wouldn't really consider the Roomba a vacuum, but rather a sweeper. The little filter has to be cleaned after every use, which requires a vacuum or compressed air. It works okay on low pile indoor/outdoor style rugs, but will bog down on thicker carpets.

My biggest complaint is that if you have very many electronics around, the Roomba will get tangled in the wires if they are on the floor. Mine is bad about going under my tv stand and getting into the cables that go to the satellite receiver... same thing in the bedroom, it has pulled my alarm clock and lamp off of my nightstand before. The less clutter you have, the more satisfied you'll be with it.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:24 AM

455 posts, read 388,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
if they are worth it, which models perform the best? especially in a household with 2 adults, 4 cats and one dog. we all live in a 3-bedroom, 2-bath rental home with carpeting in all bedrooms

also most robot vacuums are circular in shape. how do they get to the corners? will the square ones do better in that respect?
Sadly they are not worth it from my perspective. We bought one and although it does an OK job it has to run all DAY long because it has to go over spots again and again in order to bump on something to get it going in another direction (think bumper cars). And because it has to run so long, the battery starts going and won;t recharge all the way, then you buy a new battery which costs as much as the machine and it start all over again. Now it sits and collects dust, I'll send it you if you want it

As a vacuum fanatic, I finally got one that I LOVE, it's the shark rocket and it is pretty awesome for any job.

I have three dogs and a cat with both carpet and hardwoods (and stairs). The shark does it all.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:31 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post

The "poopastrophe". Yes, if your dog poops on the floor, if will become a large, embedded poop streak.
I am not sure why anyone has dog poop on their floor, I have two dogs and they have never pooped on the floor. They were confined to a small area until they were housebroken and they are now 7 and 8 years old and have never had an accident in the house.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:33 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My biggest complaint is that if you have very many electronics around, the Roomba will get tangled in the wires if they are on the floor. Mine is bad about going under my tv stand and getting into the cables that go to the satellite receiver... same thing in the bedroom, it has pulled my alarm clock and lamp off of my nightstand before. The less clutter you have, the more satisfied you'll be with it.
What model is your Roomba? I have a 780 and it works it's way through all sorts of wires and has yet to get caught in one.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:53 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
It depends.... a cop out answer I know, but it's true. It varies by model, some are louder than others. Also, the brush on the Roomba makes a big difference. We swapped out brush on ours (you can find alternative brushes on Amazon and Ebay) and it reduced the noise. Based on my experience Neato robots are quieter than Roomba robots. There's a specific site for discussion on robot vacs here, I found it useful as we were shopping for new vacs, parts and ideas.

Thank you for trying

I will check out the link and do a more in-depth research before making any decisions. I do appreciate the help!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House