Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 501 times

Advertisements

My contractor charges 20% mark up for subs and 15% for materials. He also charges his time whenever he is present at my house (meeting with me and/or subs) as well as when he picks up materials. This seems reasonable.

However, he has also charged time when NOT at my house, explaining that it takes time to coordinate scheduling with the subs. Is this double dipping? I assumed part of the 20% mark up on subs is to cover his time coordinating with them. I've been very scrupulous on recording the time the contractor and his laborers are at the house. The hours agree for the laborers, but his time is almost double the time per my records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 01:38 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,282,519 times
What does his contract say? It should all be spelled out what he is billing for, and the rates.
While its good to keep an eye on all of your costs, trying to micro manage his time may not be worth it. Of course it does depend on what kind of money we are talking about, and the scope of the job.
But it should be all spelled out in the contract.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,739,724 times
Typically, the mark up covers home office overhead and profit. Sometimes it also includes insurance. Sometimes it includes bonding (if required). At 20% it should also include the management fee, and maybe even general conditions if he has any.

It has always irked me to pay a contractor to go shopping. They show up at your house, make a list of materials and leave for home depot. Four hours later they come back with the stuff they should have brought with time to begin with. I should not have to pay them to go buy nails, and certainly not to go look at some tool they think they might need.

Look at your contract, if you agreed to pay 20/15% you may be stuck. If not, ask him to show you the actual coots justifying that 20% or just flat our refuse to pay it. If it is a home improvement project, find ot whether your Statee has laws that protect you, many do.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:59 PM

17,468 posts, read 65,973,095 times
Hourly?

I'm sure you meant to say raped(?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House