U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2017, 11:44 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,448,234 times

Advertisements

For heating the house, the past 3-odd years I've had a "Vanguard" propane floor-standing heater, one with 3 elements and a mechanically-fired pilot light. It started leaking gas (confirmed by a shop) so I got a second-hand "Mr Heater' with 20,000 BTUs for $75.

The Vanguard looks pretty much like this except for it's a 3 element heater instead of a 5 element one:

The new one, I'm sure you've seen it before:

As I said, we started smelling gas with the Vanguard and had it checked out, and some internal part (not sure which) is leaking gas and quite badly. The shop offered to throw it out saying you can't get parts for it anymore.

Me, I'd like to fix it and keep using it, and the main reason is this--the new "Mr Heater" it has 3 elements but it does not have the option of using just 1 element or 2 instead of all 3 at the time. When I had the Vanguard, Low was 1 element, Med was 2 elements, 3 was all 3 elements. That's what I prefer vs the Mr Heater way of 1-5 being a control that determines when it shut off. I like having the Vanguard run 1 element at night to "trickle heat" the place (prevent it from getting ridiculously cold) without using so much gas. I figure that Mr Heater running all 3 is going to use much more gas.

Questions:

(1) Are Vanguard parts really that hard to find? Am I better off throwing it away?

(2) Are my concerns about the Mr Heater using all 3 elements at once unfounded? Does the newer heat run more efficiently to where it won't be an issue? (Yes I could turn the heater all the way off in spurts but I MUCH MUCH prefer being able to just leave it on at a lower 1-element setting.)

Last edited by shyguylh; 01-07-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 01:28 PM

19,160 posts, read 58,217,060 times
If the unit is thermostatically controlled, there should be little or no difference in the amount of gas used. Unvented heaters are about 100% efficient and always have been. I do understand the like of a constant heat source though. The whoosh of a heater constantly starting and stopping can be annoying.

I suspect you can find a used part if you ask around. A lot of people like the older units and the shop at a propane dealership may have parts or even complete used ones if you ask nicely.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:43 PM

31,168 posts, read 67,997,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Unvented heaters are about 100% efficient and always have been.
I do understand the like of a constant heat source though.
The whoosh of a heater constantly starting and stopping can be annoying.
The problem with them though is the water damage that regular use WILL cause.
Propane isn't as bad as with kerosene but it needs to be a temporary thing.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:35 PM

19,160 posts, read 58,217,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The problem with them though is the water damage that regular use WILL cause.
Propane isn't as bad as with kerosene but it needs to be a temporary thing.
LOL! I live near a creek. The creek is not a temporary thing. I have far more "damage" from the moss and mold attempting to grow on the outside of the house and car than I do with any moisture from my unvented propane. My six-brick has been going all day and the rh is 62% with no window condensation. Sometimes in summer it is closer to 75%, even with AC.

I'm not saying that moisture can't be a problem, just that it isn't for me. As someone prone to nosebleeds in excessively dry air, it is more a benefit that problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House