Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:56 AM

278 posts, read 434,844 times

Advertisements

Our master bedroom and master bath in the home we just moved in to is connected, but not really all that much separated. In essence, the bed is on the right side of the closet, the bath/shower is on the left side of the closet, with a 3-4 foot walkway in between, and NO DOOR!

The ceiling is 12 foot sloped.

We've been in the house about 3 days. I love everything about the house but that.

My wife gets up earlier (she's a school teacher) and is in the shower by 6am, and the shower hitting the tile is so loud, plus when she runs the hair dryer, same thing.

I've thought about putting a wall and door up, but not sure how that would cost.

The other thing - we have one of those "Toilet closet" rooms - but when you shut the door to do your business, it gets hot as blazes because there's an exhaust fan, but no air vent. Thoughts anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 10:12 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Our master bedroom and master bath in the home we just moved in to is connected, but not really all that much separated. In essence, the bed is on the right side of the closet, the bath/shower is on the left side of the closet, with a 3-4 foot walkway in between, and NO DOOR!

The ceiling is 12 foot sloped.

We've been in the house about 3 days. I love everything about the house but that.

My wife gets up earlier (she's a school teacher) and is in the shower by 6am, and the shower hitting the tile is so loud, plus when she runs the hair dryer, same thing.

I've thought about putting a wall and door up, but not sure how that would cost.
There are too many variables involved for me to take a stab at the cost, but I'd probably install the door.

Quote:
The other thing - we have one of those "Toilet closet" rooms - but when you shut the door to do your business, it gets hot as blazes because there's an exhaust fan, but no air vent. Thoughts anyone?
So are you saying this is a john located inside the bathroom with a door that can be shut for privacy if somebody needs to be in the bathroom for some other reason while you're catching up on your reading? If so, you really shouldn't need to close it that often if you install the door on the bathroom. If this is a stand-alone deal somewhere else in the house you might want to look into the feasibility of running an AC duct there.

Quote:

Old 01-18-2017, 01:51 PM

Thanks. Yes the bathroom is a separate toilet closet in the master.

Any ideas on how much framing in a wall and putting in a door would cost??

Old 01-18-2017, 01:54 PM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Any ideas on how much framing in a wall and putting in a door would cost??
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
There are too many variables involved for me to take a stab at the cost

Old 01-18-2017, 04:46 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
A 3-4' wide wall w/door and about 10-12' hgt.

$300-400- really! It's not a big deal, a few studs, some drywall, hang a prehung door, some baseboard, and paint.

If you're hiring someone to do it- get at least 3 bids, and make an educated decision based on the information before you.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:03 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Oh yeah, we passed on several houses like this due to the weird bathroom in the bedroom configuration. In hindsight we really should have just bought one of them and planned to install a door. This was some kind of weird 80s fad that really, really sucked. Just put in the door.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:09 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
It's an easy fix to a stupid fad. My second house was brand new, so we put it in the contract that a door be installed. Our third house had the same setup, but was nine years old, so we did it as part of the pre move in reno. I don't remember the cost, but the $300 to $400 quoted previously is in the ballpark.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:13 AM

Awesome. Yeah it is frustrating. We looked at a ton of homes and most of them had this arrangement. We are in Tampa FL. The home was built in 2001, so sadly the fad didn't die out. I have a guy at my church who can help - just didn't know about costs. Thanks everyone.

The hard part will be figuring out a configuration for it. There's a slightly weird angle knvolved too.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:46 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I cannot exactly picture how much space you have to work with but a swing door should not be that expensive. If you have the room then consider a pocket door. I have a pocket door between the bedroom and the master bath. As I am single it stays open all the time but when my lady friend comes over for the night, it gets used as we keep different hours and do not want to disturb each other.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,680 times
I don't have a good idea on how much will it cost. But what ever the cost, I will definitely have install a new door for the bath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House