Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:18 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,848 times

Advertisements

We just bought a new house & the grout on the tile floors is very dirty. Can I clean it myself or do I need a professional to do it? How would I or a professional clean it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
We just bought a new house & the grout on the tile floors is very dirty. Can I clean it myself or do I need a professional to do it? How would I or a professional clean it?
How can the grout in a brand new house be dirty...?! I'm just moving into one myself and the other day had the grout sealed because the builders don't do this. It cost me 30 c/sq.ft. A lot of people do it themselves, but I'm not particularly handy and have too much on my plate as it is. The previous day I cleaned really well as you don't want to seal dirt. I was very tired and asked them if they'd offer simple cleaning beforehand for a nominal fee, but they don't. They quoted me 65 c/sq.ft. for the real, heavy-duty cleaning (and they wouldn't seal unless it's clean).

I think it was totally worth hiring people because I researched the matter before and since I have no knowledge, I would've bought a gallon of the best sealer (about $100) and spent a day on my knees because everybody was saying not to get sealer on the tile. I saw scary pictures of how somebody got all his tile horribly hazy doing it himself. I was planning on painting it with a small brush like a painter... This guy said it depends on what kind of sealer is used. Apparently it's OK for the one he used to get on the tile (it's moppable he said). He didn't apply it too precisely by any means. Was using a spray pump similar to those used for bug spraying. Got approximately 700 sq.ft. done in about an hour. Did it on Thursday. Looks good to me today...

Old 03-01-2008, 11:36 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I used diluted bleach and a tooth brush on mine, worked like a charm too.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
How can the grout in a brand new house be dirty...?! I'm just moving into one myself and the other day had the grout sealed because the builders don't do this. It cost me 30 c/sq.ft. A lot of people do it themselves, but I'm not particularly handy and have too much on my plate as it is. The previous day I cleaned really well as you don't want to seal dirt. I was very tired and asked them if they'd offer simple cleaning beforehand for a nominal fee, but they don't. They quoted me 65 c/sq.ft. for the real, heavy-duty cleaning (and they wouldn't seal unless it's clean).

I think it was totally worth hiring people because I researched the matter before and since I have no knowledge, I would've bought a gallon of the best sealer (about $100) and spent a day on my knees because everybody was saying not to get sealer on the tile. I saw scary pictures of how somebody got all his tile horribly hazy doing it himself. I was planning on painting it with a small brush like a painter... This guy said it depends on what kind of sealer is used. Apparently it's OK for the one he used to get on the tile (it's moppable he said). He didn't apply it too precisely by any means. Was using a spray pump similar to those used for bug spraying. Got approximately 700 sq.ft. done in about an hour. Did it on Thursday. Looks good to me today...
LOL...I meant the house is *new* to us!! There were previous owners. Thank you so much for your help. That's exactly the information I was looking for. And I didn't even think of asking the grout to be sealed! I know nothing about this type of thing!!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:24 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times
Use Clorox Bleach Gel Pen....you draw it on, let it sit....then wipe it off.
Yes...this product is normally used for laundry purposes...but it does suggest this use on their website.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Use Clorox Bleach Gel Pen....you draw it on, let it sit....then wipe it off.
Yes...this product is normally used for laundry purposes...but it does suggest this use on their website.
Oh, that sounds like a great trick for smaller areas. I have tile that needs cleaning in 4 rooms though!! But I will keep your tip in mind for touch-ups!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:08 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times
It won't hurt your tile to mop the bleach/water solution to clean the 4 rooms of tile.

Be careful with your sealer - I would be more concerned with making the tile slippery than damaging the tile.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,963 times
many carpet cleaners offer a service for cleaning tile and grout. It is well worth the money. I had this done once and was amazed at the difference. I also found out doing a lot of previous research that you should have this done every 2-4 yrs depending on use. but of course it needs to be resealed each time. I have never done it but I also heard you can use a steamer with a little bleach and water to do it yourself. If you have that many rooms and if they are really nasty and you have the money I would highly reccomend having it proffesionally done though.

the sealing on the other hand is not an issue at all. if you have knee pads I would reccomend using them. It does not take long and is not hard. you can buy a container with a rolling ball that keeps from getting to much on the tile. You can also use sponge brushes. (If you plan to keep up with this yourself I would reccomend using the container, theyre not expensive) you dont need to buy the most expensive stuff. follow the directions, just roll it on. I would reccomend doing it a second time. If you do get any on the tile and you dont wipe it up right away you can use a solution of vinegar and water to mop it up. only after the grout is completely dry (I think 24hrs check the directions)

You do not need to be a "do it yourselfer" to do this. IMO it is not something worth paying someone to do.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:30 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I have a stiff bristle bush on the end of a handle. I use the spray bleach that is for your counter tops and sink. I scrub it on, let it foam up, let the foam sit in the grout. Once its dry, I scrub it again and rinse again.

I have heard they make other products but have never used any. I wouldn't use the straight bleach that is for your laundry, I hear it can strip the shine from your tile.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:32 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,963 times
Oh! I forgot to add. The room I had the proffesional cleaning done was in the bathroom. When I moved it there was mold issues just in the grout. I tried for a couple of years getting it cleaned with the bleach and water and it kept coming back. I was preparing to take out all of the grout and regrout it when the carpet cleaning place told me they could fix it. after they did their cleaning and I sealed it I never had another problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House