U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 11:26 AM

883 posts, read 2,736,405 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a washer/dryer that can steam clothes? How do you like it? Also, which brands make them? The only two I have seen are by LG & Whirlpool.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:35 AM

1,502 posts, read 6,281,084 times
I have the LG and like them. My husband uses the steam cycle to take the wrinkle out of his shirts. It really does a good job, you just take them out of the washer and hang them up. This feature is great for someone like me who doesn't iron.

Apparently the steam feature is suppose to use even less water because the steam helps to open the fibers and get the dirt out better.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
I have the LG and like them. My husband uses the steam cycle to take the wrinkle out of his shirts. It really does a good job, you just take them out of the washer and hang them up. This feature is great for someone like me who doesn't iron.

Apparently the steam feature is suppose to use even less water because the steam helps to open the fibers and get the dirt out better.
Thanks for the info! Do you think the LG is worth the price? I wasn't expecting to spend quite so much on a washer & dryer, but the steam option is really appealing!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 AM

7,704 posts, read 12,740,392 times
We have the LG Steamwasher & dryer. I love them, but I'll be honest, I don't use the steam function often. Just the rare occasion that I need to freshen up a dress or sweater, otherwise all of my husband's shirts & pants are taken to the drycleaners. Definitely no regrets with the purchase. My sister went out and bought them as well.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
We have the LG Steamwasher & dryer. I love them, but I'll be honest, I don't use the steam function often. Just the rare occasion that I need to freshen up a dress or sweater, otherwise all of my husband's shirts & pants are taken to the drycleaners. Definitely no regrets with the purchase. My sister went out and bought them as well.
Thanks so much for the info. By the way, I see you're from the North Shore of LI. I just moved there!! Can you recommend a good drycleaner? I'm in the Huntington area, but I don't mind driving a bit.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:12 AM

It's more of a personal issue about the price. The reason why I splurged was because LG came with nothing but good reviews. I looked at the whirlpool which was a little cheaper but what made me pick the LG was that LG uses more metal in the construction where as Whirlpool used plastic like in the door hinges etc.

As far as the steam cycle, I know my washer has baby wear that uses it that helps to get out formula and stuff (I don't think anyone really uses cloth diapers anymore), anyway, my kids are older. I do use the sanitary cycle for socks and underwear and it does great. I know the washer is really water efficient. I don't know if you actually looked at them at the store but they are suppose to use less electricity as well, it has some self power or whatever.

Oh, I should also mention that where will you be putting the machine? Because they really do vibrate when spinning, sometimes I think it is getting ready to take off. I live in a ranch so it is on the main floor. I think the second floor of a 2 story might be a little noisy. I do have mine on pedestals which make them rock more but I was not going to bend over.

A little warning for anyone who has the LG dryer and probably any high end dryer. My dryer started not to dry the clothes and I would have to run it 3 or 4 times. I called the hot line and you cannot use dryer sheets. It lets off something that coats the sensors so the machine cannot detect that the clothes are dry or not. I washed them off and everything is fine. There was nothing in the booklet about this.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
It's more of a personal issue about the price. The reason why I splurged was because LG came with nothing but good reviews. I looked at the whirlpool which was a little cheaper but what made me pick the LG was that LG uses more metal in the construction where as Whirlpool used plastic like in the door hinges etc.

As far as the steam cycle, I know my washer has baby wear that uses it that helps to get out formula and stuff (I don't think anyone really uses cloth diapers anymore), anyway, my kids are older. I do use the sanitary cycle for socks and underwear and it does great. I know the washer is really water efficient. I don't know if you actually looked at them at the store but they are suppose to use less electricity as well, it has some self power or whatever.

Oh, I should also mention that where will you be putting the machine? Because they really do vibrate when spinning, sometimes I think it is getting ready to take off. I live in a ranch so it is on the main floor. I think the second floor of a 2 story might be a little noisy. I do have mine on pedestals which make them rock more but I was not going to bend over.

A little warning for anyone who has the LG dryer and probably any high end dryer. My dryer started not to dry the clothes and I would have to run it 3 or 4 times. I called the hot line and you cannot use dryer sheets. It lets off something that coats the sensors so the machine cannot detect that the clothes are dry or not. I washed them off and everything is fine. There was nothing in the booklet about this.
You are so helpful!!!!! Wow, great info. Luckily, our washer & dryer will be in the basement. And I will remember not to use dryer sheets!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:10 PM

5,975 posts, read 16,036,825 times
Quote:
I have a Maytag front loader and matching dryer. Have used dryer sheets for a year now with no problem. Must be something unique to the LG. Only time it won't dry right (the cycle would end prematurely) is when there is only one or 2 very small items in there, and it is bypassing the "sensing" cycle which establishes how damp the load is when the setting is set to Auto Dry.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:54 PM

3,021 posts, read 9,387,168 times
Janipoo, how long had you owned the dryer when it started to give you problems? I've been using dryer sheet with my LG dryer for the past 10 months & haven't had any problems.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Janipoo, how long had you owned the dryer when it started to give you problems? I've been using dryer sheet with my LG dryer for the past 10 months & haven't had any problems.
I've had them for 6 months, started having problems a couple of months ago. At first it wasn't too bad but then it got to the point where I have been having to hit the button 4 times and the clothes were still a little damp. I only use dryer sheets when static is an issue, especially with flannel. The sheets that I have been using are from the dollar store . The guy from LG said that they are not supposed to be used .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House