Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 12:02 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times

Advertisements

When you go to sell, the buyer may demand 200 amp service.
Just something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 06:54 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,655,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
We got a quote of $1500 to change the coil or almost $3K to get an indirect water tank. Acid cleaning was not offered. We have hard water so the coil will scale again in due course (not as hard as to justify a softening system, we have an iron wash). That's what got us started on finding a different system. As it is now we don't have hot water, just warm.

Seems like you need multiple quotes. You can easily look up the price of your coil for your model boiler. If your coil cost the same $300 he is charging you $1200 for 1 hour of labor to solder new one on. You might want to buy one yourself, and find someone to install it.

Try the $12 dollar 1.5gpm shower head as a temp fix I provided a link for. It will slow down the flow of the water going through the coil which will cause it to heat the water better. You can find 1.5 gallon per minute fittings for your sinks too. When filling the tub, fill it very slowly and turn your thermostat up 5 minutes before you fill your tub so the boiler heats up.

As for the hard water situation, I've seen hot water heaters that you cannot remove the heating element to replace it because the threads that hold it in have corroded too. So the entire hot water heater needed to be replaced.

If it was me, I would change the coil and look into a water softening system or scaling will destroy whatever you install.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House