Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 10:18 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times

Advertisements

I live in a building that's about 100 years old, and have an apartment on the first floor.

Ever since I lived there, the toilet hasn't worked well. Weak flush, clogged easily. I never clog other toilets. I bought the thinnest toilet paper, but no change. Plumber came to do a quick rod, but didn't improve things.

The landlord/condo owner admitted they had problems with the toilet too, and immediately offered to put in a new toilet themselves. Their father in law was a contractor, so they bought an inexpensive low flow toilet at Home Depot and installed it.

Things didn't improve, probably even a bit worse. About 1/3 of the time, it doesn't flush, and about 1/3 of the time it is a weak flush, and about 1/3 of the time it is an ok flush. Has nothing to do with what is in the bowl. No pattern to it, but perhaps a little more likely to fail first thing in the morning. Usually if you have a failed flush, the next flush will work. When pushing the handle down, it often feels like you have to give a lot of pressure to flush.

This has persisted for 2 years. Landlord has ignored my complaints about it so far. Honestly, I am never home, so also don't use the toilet much.

Part of me suspects this is related to an old building/old plumbing/water pressure problem that perhaps is beyond what the landlord wants to deal with. Or is there any chance this is still simple to fix? I know anything involving a plumber is not cheap. Part of me suspects that the cheap toilet was also not the way to go....

My landlord is actually putting the apartment on the market, so I have to move soon or buy it. So while I thinking about this, I'm paying more attention to these ?older building related issues...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 02:00 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,011,249 times
Buy a pressure-assisted toilet. It doesn't have to be this exact one, but do a search on "power flush toilet" or "pressure assist toilet" if you want to check out others:

American Standard Cadet 2-Piece 1.6 GPF Right Height Pressure-Assisted Elongated Toilet in White-2467.016.020 - The Home Depot

Old 01-29-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Buy a pressure-assisted toilet. It doesn't have to be this exact one, but do a search on "power flush toilet" or "pressure assist toilet" if you want to check out others:

American Standard Cadet 2-Piece 1.6 GPF Right Height Pressure-Assisted Elongated Toilet in White-2467.016.020 - The Home Depot

Thanks for this. I was wondering if something like this would be sufficient.

So from my story, your gut would be NOT to hire a plumber again to investigate further, but go right to a better toilet?

Old 01-29-2017, 03:01 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,011,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Thanks for this. I was wondering if something like this would be sufficient.

So from my story, your gut would be NOT to hire a plumber again to investigate further, but go right to a better toilet?

It seems from your story a plumber won't help. It's possible it's a venting issue. I'd buy the toilet, and just install it yourself. It's cheap enough, and they are quite easy to install. Make sure you also buy a "wax ring" for underneath.

Heck, if you want, store the other one the landlord owns, and swap it back in the day you leave. Take the pressure assist one with you to your new place.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:16 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
I live in a building that's about 100 years old, and have an apartment on the first floor.
How old is the toilet?
A really old toilet will have a large tank (don't EVER let them replace it).

But if that sort of 3gallon flush isn't getting the job done...
the BUILDING has a problem.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:24 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
The problem ISNT the toilet- changing the toilet ISNT fixing the problem.

The plumbing is the problem- for a building that old there's probably clay and cast iron pipe- both of which can build-up with debris, minerals, and other biological substance. The fact that water moves at a slow pace is because of the restriction- forcing water/waste with a power-assist toilet isn't "fixing" your problem- if anything, it will probably make it worse.

There is sure to be pipe that needs replacement- far beyond any help from a snake or water blasting.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How old is the toilet?
A really old toilet will have a large tank (don't EVER let them replace it).

But if that sort of 3gallon flush isn't getting the job done...
the BUILDING has a problem.

The current toilet was flipped out about 2+ years ago.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The problem ISNT the toilet- changing the toilet ISNT fixing the problem.

The plumbing is the problem- for a building that old there's probably clay and cast iron pipe- both of which can build-up with debris, minerals, and other biological substance. The fact that water moves at a slow pace is because of the restriction- forcing water/waste with a power-assist toilet isn't "fixing" your problem- if anything, it will probably make it worse.

There is sure to be pipe that needs replacement- far beyond any help from a snake or water blasting.

This was my fear. And to look for this, they'd need to take the toilet off and go down with a ?camera? Any idea how hard or pricey it would be to do those diagnostics?

I was hoping that since there were some flushes that looked "normal", that there was a chance it was a toilet problem, but since the prior toilet also had issues I really suspect there is something going on downstream.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:30 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Any idea how hard or pricey it would be to do those diagnostics?

Call a plumber-
Pricing can vary all across the nation.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:32 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
This was my fear. And to look for this, they'd need to take the toilet off and go down with a ?camera? Any idea how hard or pricey it would be to do those diagnostics?

I was hoping that since there were some flushes that looked "normal", that there was a chance it was a toilet problem, but since the prior toilet also had issues I really suspect there is something going on downstream.
Don't understand why you would ask strangers online about this. Call a competent drain cleaning contractor to inspect and run a drain camera through. Even the best laid cast iron waste laterals have a 60-80/yr life. Be cautious if you plan to purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House