Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 05:51 PM

621 posts, read 1,123,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so i got a 2nd proposal (and waiting on a 3rd).
Quote #1 is a 4 ton capacity and #2 is a 5 ton capacity. What gives? You can get away with a 1/2 ton bump but you can't slap a 5 tons of cooling on 3.5 tons worth of ductwork + you'll be miserable on the first muggy day. I'd throw proposal #2 in the trash even if the price was 10 bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 03:10 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times
I see MR SLIM type systems on old houses, I got central a/c when I did a addition on house and walls were down, I think cost about 5k.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:34 AM

712 posts, read 842,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My house - built in 1925 - has forced air heat and supply ducts only. The quote I got for a new system and the necessary ductwork was $14,000.

Needless to say, this house won't have central air as long as I own it!

The mini split systems are interesting, especially on my first floor, which is pretty open and cooled with a 13,000 BTU window unit. Thanks to all who posted about them.
you could save $10,000 and get a top-of-the line DUAL-zone mini-split like this:
Mitsubishi Ductless Mini Split 16.0 SEER 1 x 12,000-16,200 BTU/H Cooling & Heati

they are very quiet (much quieter than noisy window unit)

Installation would probably be less than $1000 ( no ducting needed; no brazing lines)

System cools (& HEATS) very efficient

(note MXZ3A30NA base can actually run 3 zones if you buy another $800 inside unit)

Old 07-09-2017, 10:24 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
There's a lot of info on ductless on This Old House sites.

We put in central air in a historic home. The first floor compressor went under the rear porch. The second floor....well, to be near the air handler and to be outdoors, we had to put it on a roof that went over part of the first floor. That required a crane.

After a while ductless became popular and we put it in a couple of areas to boost where the central a/c was not totally successful in the western sun.

Western sun combined with kitchen heat...a good window unit. Ahh, cool air and bacon.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:51 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
Quote #1 is a 4 ton capacity and #2 is a 5 ton capacity. What gives? You can get away with a 1/2 ton bump but you can't slap a 5 tons of cooling on 3.5 tons worth of ductwork + you'll be miserable on the first muggy day. I'd throw proposal #2 in the trash even if the price was 10 bucks.
i thought that the current unit being replaced was 3.5 tons. ill have to double check on that. i didnt realize that one quote had a 4 ton and the other quote a 5 ton unit.

i am still not sure it is wise to even replace the unit considering the space it covers is fine without it. someone may say that the other units are working harder to cover that shortfall but i feel like its not going to save me money adding a whole additional a/c unit.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:51 AM

997 posts, read 710,496 times
I had AC installed in a 1955 split level. Back in 1996, it was about $6000. The home had oil heat, so no duct work. They ran the ducts through the closets so there was minimal disruption to my walls. It was well worth the cost. The house was so hot I could not stand it and couldn't have company over.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:40 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Should I ask this somewhere else, or is this an appropriate question for this forum?

Just asking about BALLPARK, since I know it will depend on the area.

Summer gets over 100 regularly, though by no means consistently (June, July, August, September). It cools off a bit at night, some humidity, but not a lot.
House built in 1925 (excellent condition, and everything else otherwise UTD), VERY shady lot, which I expect is how they have lived with just window a/c units. Main 1400 sf, basement 1200 sf. Heat looks to be forced air/ but listing says steam, assuming that makes a difference. I haven't looked at it inside yet (a nearby state), but plan to soon.

The lack of central a/c will not kill me, though I don't love heat. I just wonder approximately what it would cost, so I have that in the back of my mind.
Adding proper ductwork to an older home can be intrusive and expensive. But you should not let price be the only factor in determining a solution.

People often go ductless.

Mitshubishi has been at the top of the multi zone ductless A/C and heat pump game for many years.

Mitsubishi Electric Cooling & Heating - Make Comfort Personal

I have installed their Mr. Slim products in the past, they are great! Quiet and efficient with attractive indoor evaporator units.

One thing to be aware of though with some of the Mr. Slim products. If you choose a multi zone heat pump model, some of the Mr. Slim products can only have all of the zones in heat mode, or all of the zones in cool mode. This matters if you have rooms that have vastly different air treatment needs, or have separate his/her comfort levels. Just pay attention to the product details.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
With a mini-split, how would you get conditioned air into the bathrooms?
You dont. Many homes with central heat/AC do not have air treatment in bathrooms, or at the very least, no air returns. In cold climes a radiant heater and a small extractor fan are added.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:01 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
You dont.
Many homes with central heat/AC do not have air treatment in bathrooms...
Many? No. A few here and there, retrofits like the OP is considering almost all.
Bathrooms have had HVAC outlets in NEW construction about as long there has been ductwork.
Quote:
...or at the very least, no air returns.
Kitchens will also not have returns.
That's a code issue and for the same basic reasons.

Quote:
In cold climes a radiant heater...
In warmer climes as well when the central system is adequate.

Quote:
...and a small extractor fan are added.
All bathrooms require (code again) a exhaust fan or window regardless of HVAC type.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The hardware cost for a mini split is going to equal or exceed the cost of a real central a/c system, you're only "saving" the excessive labor markup on installing real ductwork. As mentioned previously, the actual tin work is cheap, you're just getting hammered for labor by an industry that is full of fast-buck artists.
I would agree that there are some fast buck artists out there, but doing duct work right is not always cheap, especially on an older home retrofit.

Having a guy/gal plan the duct work that knows IAQ and air movement science (yes, it is science!), sized properly with the right materials, and being aware of the system capacity control features (will the air always be moving at the same velocity/volume through the ductwork?) is the critical part of planning the duct. If done right, it may not be cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House