Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:35 PM

401 posts, read 426,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"The walls are not insulated since the exterior is brick it would not make sense to spend the $$$"

You do realize that brick has an R-factor of about 0.4? Then add the R-1.25 from the sheathing and you've got a whopping R-value of about 2 with drywall/paster on the interior side.
The 2 quotes I received to inject foam into the plaster on lath walls was $3500 & $4K, a lot of $$ I thought. Also they would need to drill holes on the exterior brick every 16" on center, I did not think they would be able to match the 1928 brick mortar and I would see every hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 05:41 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,299,067 times
I am one of those that does not agree with "run it till it dies".
Waiting until it dies can put you in a bind, trying to get a replacement in an emergency situation. Say it goes out over a holiday weekend. Not only will you have trouble getting someone to come out, they will likely charge a premium to do it. They also have you over a barrel because they know you need the unit right now.

A couple years ago, I decided to replace my 20 YO unit before it died. I shopped around and found a contractor I felt comfortable with, and had time to compare prices, etc. As it turned out, the newer unit reduced my energy bills by $1200 per year, and we are more comfortable.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
The combo unit on my roof it nearly 40 years old and still going strong. Requires a bit of maintenance every couple years but still going good.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:29 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I am one of those that does not agree with "run it till it dies".
Waiting until it dies can put you in a bind, trying to get a replacement in an emergency situation. Say it goes out over a holiday weekend. Not only will you have trouble getting someone to come out, they will likely charge a premium to do it. They also have you over a barrel because they know you need the unit right now.

A couple years ago, I decided to replace my 20 YO unit before it died. I shopped around and found a contractor I felt comfortable with, and had time to compare prices, etc. As it turned out, the newer unit reduced my energy bills by $1200 per year, and we are more comfortable.
I agree totally with this. I'm going to give my 16 SEER heat pump 4 more years (it will be 14 years old then) and if I'm still in the house I'll upgrade to one of the new 23 SEER units that doesn't kick on the auxiliary heat strips in really cold weather. I figure the prices on them will have decreased a bit by then.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:40 AM

487 posts, read 1,816,158 times
Recently changed out 18yr old units in a home we recently purchased, one of the furnaces stopped working on one of the colder nights, got quotes that ranged from $9000 to $15000. I'm sure we could have fixed and kept them a little longer but I'd hate for the AC units to go out during summer plus I have no idea how well the previous owners maintained them. The peace of mind is priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House