Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:07 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
Cousin Jimmy and his 4 muscular teens were not insured.. but guess you get what you pay for!! (free beer, pizza, buffalo wings) Lol

I do know exact stain used is it possible to touch it up myself?

Oh geez
Well can't get mad at them then. LOL! Go to the local Menards, Home Depot or Ace and ask the guys in flooring what is the best way to fix the problem. Bring the picture, They can help! It will be fine.

Last edited by CGab; 02-27-2017 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 09:19 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Where'd you find cousin Jimmy? lol In a bar is my guess. You do get what you pay for.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:28 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
You can conceal the scratch by using a MinWax Wood Finish stain marker; it's like a Sharpie but it has wood stain instead of ink. Buy the one that most closely matches your floor; apply it to the scratched area, and then wipe off the excess with a paper towel. I can pretty much guarantee that the scratch will at least be a LOT less obvious, if not disappear entirely. I have used one on 90 year old heart pine floors and had excellent results!

Old 02-27-2017, 09:39 AM

551 posts, read 1,188,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You can conceal the scratch by using a MinWax Wood Finish stain marker; it's like a Sharpie but it has wood stain instead of ink. Buy the one that most closely matches your floor; apply it to the scratched area, and then wipe off the excess with a paper towel. I can pretty much guarantee that the scratch will at least be a LOT less obvious, if not disappear entirely. I have used one on 90 year old heart pine floors and had excellent results!
Thanks! Appreciate the tip

Old 02-27-2017, 10:01 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Cousin Jimmy and his 4 muscular teens were not insured.. but guess you get what you pay for!! (free beer, pizza, buffalo wings) Lol

I do know exact stain used is it possible to touch it up myself?

Possible? Yes. But only if you want it to look worse than it is now.

Seriously, have the flooring company that did the finishing come and do the repair- as previously stated, they know how and have done it probably a thousand times. Site-finished floors can a little tricky hiding repairs.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post

"Stain" does not adhere to polyurethane- there's no need to even approach this idea.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:31 AM

551 posts, read 1,188,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"Stain" does not adhere to polyurethane- there's no need to even approach this idea.
uh oh what would you recommend? Appreciate all ideas

Old 02-27-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
uh oh what would you recommend? Appreciate all ideas

Read other post.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:44 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It will adhere to the part that is scratched.

I would use either dabs of the original stain, or some other kind of scratch fixer product, it will make the scratch less obvious, and call it good.

I wouldn't turn every scratch into a refinish job to the flooring company, whose standards probably have to be a lot higher for those willing to pay for a professional repair.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:47 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:
How do I begin!! Our new house is finished and has a beautiful expresso wood stain (#1 oak) today the movers DRAGGED the couch across causing the scratch below - he casually says "oh just buy some wood polish it will go away" but I doubt polish would make it go away? need some expert thoughts?!!
Tell him, "OK, I'll wait here while you go get the polish and fix it. Meanwhile, I'm not signing anything or paying any bills until you do".

Idiots, they cause the freaking problem and they assign you a job to go fix it.

Talk to the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House