Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 06:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Plenty of people get sued even after a statute of limitation has ran out. A statute isn't a end all I'm not responsible anymore for a problem I caused now it's your problem. There is a huge case with Exide batteries and one of the old recycling manufacturing sites due to lead contamination in Vernon California.
I would be calling a lawyer regardless of a statute running out. I would be filing suit against everyone that had anything to do with the purchase of the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 08:10 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Smarter to just fix the septic system. Even a cheap lawyer's retainer will run you $600 - $1000. By that time, you could have repaired the problem and be having a pig roast in the back yard.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:28 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Plenty of people get sued even after a statute of limitation has ran out. A statute isn't a end all I'm not responsible anymore for a problem I caused now it's your problem. There is a huge case with Exide batteries and one of the old recycling manufacturing sites due to lead contamination in Vernon California.
I would be calling a lawyer regardless of a statute running out. I would be filing suit against everyone that had anything to do with the purchase of the property.
Complete waste of time.

The guy who ran the pipe could likely be sued by the pond owner, but the foreclosure indicates there's no money there.
The guy who ran the pipe could possibly be pursued by the government for damaging a wetland
The guy who ran the pipe might not even be the previous owner.

The selling lender? Nope.
The real estate agents? Nope
Home inspector? Nope, unless you specifically paid for a septic inspection..

As mentioned previously, this isn't a new situation - the standard purchase contract here advises buyers to verify sewer connections. The standard disclosure doc also attempts to sniff out sewer connections, but if a buyer accepts a property without one, they're accepting the risk of something like this.

Buyers don't get to have it both ways - you can pay retail & get disclosures, or buy Reo's at a discount - the lack of disclosure is part of the reason you're getting a discount.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
You sue the ****ing inspector and the bank. You're running into DISCLOSURES and OMISSIONS. It's not a simple you bought it it's your problem. Just because its bank owned doesn't mean they are not responsible. I didn't realize it was bought 5 years ago. I read it as it was relatively recent purchase. Even so you're talking about a major environmental issue. Companies have been sued for dumping things way further back than 5 years. This isn't a case of something just broken after moving in. It's a illegally installed sewer line dumping into what was once a pond. Deliberately. I don't see why you can't retroactively sue for something like this. I would try that before shelling out 25k. So it's not as cut and dried as you seem to say.
The bank did would have never had any knowledge of what the sewage system was. I would bet there was no inspector involved. The buyer bought it from the bank, and was sold as is, and the bank gave no guarantee of things like the sewer system, as they had only been involved in owning it due to foreclosure, and made no disclosure as to the condition of anything, as they would have had no knowledge of any problems.

There had been a septic system at one time apparently, but the tank had a hole in it, and someone just ran the line down the hill and dumped it on another persons property bypassing the septic system. Very illegal, and near impossible to find who did it, if you wanted to sue them for damages. They probably do not have any money to pay for damage if OP was to win the case, and the suite would cost the OP more than he could recover. The neighbor could sue the OP, to clean up the environmental damage caused by the sewage being dumped on their property.

To continue to use the current system as is, can also get big fines for dumping raw sewage, especially into a water filled pond which is covered under different laws.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:55 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
As I see it, the OP has basically two paths from which to choose.

He can have a lawyer examine the history of transactions and documents to see if he has a case against anyone for what could be tens of thousands of dollars in repairs or hundreds of thousands, or even millions, of dollars in environmental mitigation and penalties, or he can continue to put both his financial and bodily health at risk by heeding the advice of a few internet experts.

Either way he must fix the problems.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:06 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Sometimes ya just get screwed in life.. a million dollars worth of EPA fees for fixing a pond I didn't know I was contaminating would be one of them scenarios where a bullet to the head would just be the easier solution.. thank you me for not doing more due diligence, and thank you to whoever the slime-ball was who did an illegal installation and was willing to pollute a nearby pond to save $10,000.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:33 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
This is a big problem in the US. Everyone is sue crazy and no one wants to take responsibility.

As for the OP. Suck it up. You bought a house as is. You can't cry about it now. Fix it to code because that is what you will have to do and be done with it.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:41 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
A pond someone has dumped sewage in is NOT a cesspool, it's just an open pool of sewage at this point. A cesspool is very similar to a septic tank, usually having no bottom and have to be pumped out occasionally.
What you have is an illegal system, if anything you better hope your neighbor doesn't find out about it. The existence of a dock and float/raft shows at one time people may have swam in the pond.
Heck no, cesspools are closed systems, with covers, not just open bodies of water. What the OP is describing is a pond now polluted with sewage runoff. And as you say, the existence of a dock and float on the pond indicates the intention (at least once upon a time) for its recreational use.

I can only imagine the reaction of the owners of the pond in the event the OP shows up at their door requesting to buy their "cesspool"- more like, "your pond, now that we have polluted it."

Cesspools and cesspool septic systems for onsite wastewater disposal - What are Cesspools? What Cesspool Maintenance is Needed? How do Cesspools Systems Fail?

Old 03-11-2017, 12:55 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Sometimes ya just get screwed in life.. a million dollars worth of EPA fees for fixing a pond I didn't know I was contaminating would be one of them scenarios where a bullet to the head would just be the easier solution.. thank you me for not doing more due diligence, and thank you to whoever the slime-ball was who did an illegal installation and was willing to pollute a nearby pond to save $10,000.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I can't imagine buying a house , especially an "as is" foreclosure without getting a house inspection ( roof, electrical, plumbing, structural, and septic system) by licensed experienced inspectors before I bought the house. Sounds like this issue could have been discovered before the OP bought the house had he had the septic system inspected at that point, and the old owner/ seller would be on the hook for it. Seems to me that house plumbing drain lines not connected to a septic tank ( and where they go being anyone's guess) pretty much indicates the work is gerry-rigged, ie, not done to,any code.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:40 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Complete waste of time.

The guy who ran the pipe could likely be sued by the pond owner, but the foreclosure indicates there's no money there.
The guy who ran the pipe could possibly be pursued by the government for damaging a wetland
The guy who ran the pipe might not even be the previous owner.
no he was in a right of way, he cant be touch, he did nothing wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House