Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:40 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

In one house we put a pool table. In another house we put three foosball tables which we bought used
The foosball tables got used a lot and were lots of fun everybody wanted to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 09:32 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

I would paint that ugly brick,...
Noooo!!!! Don't paint that beautiful brick wall!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2017, 11:35 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I have a pretty larger finished basement we rarely use. It's mostly been storage, and an overflow playroom for when the kids are stuck inside in the winter.

Eventually, I want to fix it up. It has a small bar, but I want to make a larger bar, add a pool table, and install a 150-200 gallon salt water aquarium in the wall that I can access from the backside where I have my unfinished portion of the basement

Old 03-13-2017, 01:21 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Noooo!!!! Don't paint that beautiful brick wall!!!!!!!

I've never ever considered painting the bricks til that post.. then i googled... omg. All black brick, with a dark blue flat brick front, drooling. i really want to paint the downstairs all white, its a tan ish color. Looks good, I am going to touch it up. Its not dry wall, its like this paneling. It looks alright but I read online basements dont want dry wall either way.

Honestly I am really liking the idea of a 3 person couch, tv, adjacent to firewall. with a fooseball and ping pong.

I have a full stereo in the house, sonos in every bedroom and subwoofer, so the music part is there. I can jam that all day and night.

Can i mount a led tv top the top of my chimney? or should i use a wall. I like the idea of a wall, but just thinking of possibilities.

To answer the other posters question. My house is 2600 sq feet, + an additional 500 sq feet attached garage. I am a single guy, and can't even have kids lol. but other homes without finished basement was like 130k the extra basement, extra bedroom, full downstairs finished was another 15k. it basically doubled my useable space. Didn't see a reason not too.

I installed 3k in insulation and air sealing the day I got in, my energy bill is 44 dollars a month winter, and heat has been 50-60 a month. Insane really. Previous owners had 120month energy/ 100 month gas. I replaced all the bulbs, and made cellulose to R60 from like r6. Just finding new things to do with the house,

Old 03-13-2017, 03:26 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
Can i mount a led tv top the top of my chimney? or should i use a wall. I like the idea of a wall, but just thinking of possibilities.

To answer the other posters question. My house is 2600 sq feet, + an additional 500 sq feet attached garage. I am a single guy, and can't even have kids lol. but other homes without finished basement was like 130k the extra basement, extra bedroom, full downstairs finished was another 15k. it basically doubled my useable space. Didn't see a reason not too.

I installed 3k in insulation and air sealing the day I got in, my energy bill is 44 dollars a month winter, and heat has been 50-60 a month. Insane really. Previous owners had 120month energy/ 100 month gas. I replaced all the bulbs, and made cellulose to R60 from like r6. Just finding new things to do with the house,

I would advise you to *not* mount an HDTV above the fireplace, unless you incorporate a more expensive mount that lets you pull it out and down to more reasonable viewing levels. Most people throw nice HDTVs above a fireplace where it's just not well suited for comfortable viewing angles. A lower wall mount is better IMHO and E. Amazon has some really nice mounts that tilt/tip/rotate in the $40 range, FWIW.

Congrats on going to (I assume) all LEDs(!) I just did the same. The 2700K dimmable Phillips really look great IMO. Even the first electric bill afterwards was 20-30% lower, and that's with a mid-month replacement.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:13 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
The only tv in the house is down there, a comfy sectional sofa, a dartboard, the elliptical, a pellet stove, a small dining table..

It's a room for recreating.

Even served as a nice quiet spot for our female dog to whelp her pups away from the big, mean guy, lol

Last edited by Threerun; 03-13-2017 at 05:27 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 06:18 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Hate TV's mounted over a mantle.

It's not a comfortable viewing angle IMHO.

ps..My "painting the brick" vote is YES

Old 03-13-2017, 08:17 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I vote no on painted brick.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Put what you want in there.

We have:
A daybed (serves as a couch and a guest bed). A floor to ceiling mirror (for dance/karate practice and looking at yourself in a prom dress). A dart board. An air hockey table. A largish TV with some game unit attached. A stereo. A small exercising trampoline. A couple of giant beanbag chairs. An organ. A sewing machine. And a largish open area, especially if we lean the little trampoline against the wall.

What is in there varies with our kids uses for it. Right now mostly used by my older daughter for sewing and playing with her pets.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:02 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
You can furnish a basement room however you darn well please; there are no rules. I chose to locate my office in the basement, away from distractions like TVs and refrigerators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House