U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:59 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,568,480 times

Advertisements

You know how it is a couple of years after painting. Scuffs and dings add up and you just have to paint over them.

Home Depot matched paint for me twice and both matches were perfect (quart containers). The third time was a bad match that wrecked my paint job (it was a tiny sample jar). I tried adding white, spreading the new paint wider, etc. It just looks splotchy now and I'll have to paint over the touched up wall and call it an accent wall (house will be for sale).

Is there a special magic to getting a flawless paint match? Seems to me that if you're selling and short on patience and time the best color is white. No problems getting the color right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 10:37 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,555,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
You know how it is a couple of years after painting. Scuffs and dings add up and you just have to paint over them.

Home Depot matched paint for me twice and both matches were perfect (quart containers). The third time was a bad match that wrecked my paint job (it was a tiny sample jar). I tried adding white, spreading the new paint wider, etc. It just looks splotchy now and I'll have to paint over the touched up wall and call it an accent wall (house will be for sale).

Is there a special magic to getting a flawless paint match? Seems to me that if you're selling and short on patience and time the best color is white. No problems getting the color right.
just sand and start over again! did u mix the paint first?

Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 AM

2,960 posts, read 8,415,440 times
Paint colour fades over time, UV exposure, wear and tear.

White isn"t easy either. We just spent a lot of time selecting the best "white" for our trim. While you are at HD pick up some difference "white" samples, you will be amazed at your choices!

Old 03-19-2017, 12:15 PM

12,016 posts, read 11,143,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Paint colour fades over time, UV exposure, wear and tear.

White isn"t easy either. We just spent a lot of time selecting the best "white" for our trim. While you are at HD pick up some difference "white" samples, you will be amazed at your choices!
White is easy to match, it's white. Buy the same brand white and it will match. Get a color made and next time you get it made it may be a shade off.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 03-19-2017 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-19-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:

I tried to get a color to color match with them and this is the outcome, The lighter color on the left is the original, and the darker shade is what they made from my paint chip sample.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad paint matching from Home Depot-hd-color-match.gif  

Old 03-19-2017, 01:52 PM

6,343 posts, read 13,606,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I tried to get a color to color match with them and this is the outcome, The lighter color on the left is the original, and the darker shade is what they made from my paint chip sample.
Even if you take them a huge chip, they match based on a tiny sample, so even tiny imperfections in the sample can throw off your match. They'll re-do dud matches for free in my experience & I've had them nail perfect matches more often than not. That said, I usually end up painting an entire wall vs being able to "touch up" a defect. In addition to the color, you've also got to nail the gloss level & I think there are like seven choices? I.e., eggshell vs satin. Further, if the color was sprayed on initially, the gloss will be different if you roll-on even an exact-match paint out of the same bucket. So you're pretty much always painting an entire wall every time.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:06 PM

3,832 posts, read 6,204,637 times
Was it a custom color in the first place?

Behr no longer has the color I painted my old living room in their line. (Not online, not at Home Depot.) I was wanting to use the same color in my new house. I asked the person at the paint counter and they can still make it since I remember the name. It stays in their system.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:36 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,568,480 times
The paint was fully mixed, a shade of yellow. The new paint was a deeper hue and a touch redder. I decided to nix any extra trouble from the paint and make the wall white. Accent walls are nice, right? I have so much left to do and just need it finished.

Yes, I had a problem matching white and couldn't figure out why. The new white paint I used to touch up an old space was always a cooler shade. Then I figured out the white on my walls had faded to a bit yellow.

So paint matching sounds like hit and miss and you just have to get lucky. The two previous custom matches were really nice. One has a slightly a shinier finish, but it doesn't matter because the color is correct and it blends in.

I actually went through a lot of trouble bringing in a large sample. I had to cut off a chunk of the paneling.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I actually went through a lot of trouble bringing in a large sample. I had to cut off a chunk of the paneling.
Next time don't bother it will never match exact, the closest is if you have the old paint can and they can find the exact base and formula for the color.

Otherwise if you want something close take a paint chip off the bottom corner like the size of a thumbnail is all they need.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 PM

5,721 posts, read 17,011,614 times
Best chances of getting a color match is to go back to the same store with the color formula sticker that is on the original paint can. The store codes which of the colorant machines the paint was shot from. The machines are calibrated often so generally this works but not always. The smaller the amount of paint, the less likely you'll get a good color match even with a known formula. The colorants are just too concentrated and the less you use the more inconsistent it gets. Imagine trying to get EXACTLY 1/168th of an ounce of colorant everytime. It ain't gonna happen. Some of the pastel colors use 1/168th of an ounce to trim the color in a gallon formula. Now how do you break that down for a quart? Or a pint? You don't. That's why a painter would tell you to get the best match possible and paint the wall corner to corner. You'll never see the color difference that way. Sometimes it's best to just single coat the entire room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House